Hastert Lies Again, Gets Caught Again

blueflame1

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 02:46 pm
Brandon, ok. The Nation aricle meant something different to you than to me and on this thread you''ve acted like a child for whatever reason. Even Coastal admits Hastert lied in one statement or the other. Is he a child also? Maybe it's personal? At any rate Hastert is certainly toast judging by American reaction in the poll meantioned in my last posting. That I think is great for America.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 02:55 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
blueflame1 wrote:
Brandon, in my original article Hastert's people say he misspoke. A not so clever way of admitting he lied. Like the new poll that says 58% of Americans say Bushie deliberately "misled" us into war in Iraq. Deliberately misled aint lying right?

In your original article, you have no citations to back up your claim of what people said and did. As for the poll, testimonials prove nothing. As I said, you reason like a child.

He didn't sound petulant, did he? That'd be stealing your thunder.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 05:50 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
The couple I did see, while they may be indicative of a problem and moreso now in hindsight, do not seem to me to be worthy of an investigation prior to the IM's.

Really?

Here's Ramesh Ponnuru, noted conservative writer for NRO, talking about the emails over at the Corner:

Cycloptichorn

Cy, unless there are emails that I have missed, I will stick with my contention that there is nothing in them that would indicate anything warranting a criminal investigation. And if nothing warrants a criminal investigation, then there is nothing to make a fuss about. In trying to find out last night whether I had seen all the emails, I went snooping about a little bit online. Here are a couple links to CNN articles that I base my conclusions on.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/09/29/congressman.e.mails.ap/index.html?section=cnn_topstories&ref=google

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/10/02/foley.timeline/index.html

I also found a site that printed facsimiles of the emails, but am having a hard time finding that site again this morning. But in any case, the emails in and of themselves are not alarming (in my opinion). They would cause me to raise my eyebrows a bit, but would not make me jump to the conclusion that something illegal might be going on here. But maybe that's just me.

In any case, I stand by my belief that nothing warranted the republican leadership doing anything until the IM's surfaced. They leave little doubt that there was a problem. And once they came out, Foley resigned rather quickly. Whether it was at the urging of Hastert or done on his own makes very little difference to me. But to the point of this thread, Hastert does appear to have attempted in one instance to take credit for getting Foley to resign while earlier statements would contradict that. Which only makes him another in a long line of lying politicians trying to spin the facts to his own advantage.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 06:08 am
Now the spin is it is a Haster scandel?

This is amazing how stupid and gullible the partisen hacks/voters are.

Just as the Republicans did to Clinton in creating a distraction from the issues, the media and the partisens are letting the democrats do the same "efing" thing. When these scumbag politicians refuse to debate the issues and look only to "protect the party", WE allow them to create these distraction.

Why is this a scandel at all?

This society has allowed homosexual behavior to be accepted as normal. Homosexuals prey on those of the same sex. Well, this is exactly what happened. You vote these people in office and are surprised at their behavior? Were you surprised when Barney Frank had his "parties"? Then don't be surpirsed and shocked now.

Bella Pelosi is a disgrace and a hypocrite as is Hastert and anyone who defends either is a tout.

So continue to chirp on about your wonderful Democrat or Republican Party.

My vote is to remove them all. We don;t need a 3rd party, we need 2 new ones that are concerned about the people of this nation, not protecting their fat asses.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 06:20 am
I would second that one Woiyo. I'm all for getting rid of all of them and starting over from scratch. They all practice the game of politics too much without getting anything meaningful done. Sometimes I think they are too concerned with which party has the power and base their decisions on that rather than what is the right thing to do.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 08:58 am
Actually the democrats had nothing to do with the getting the emails out into the public.

Quote:
Mr. Ross dismissed suggestions by some Republicans that the news was disseminated as part of a smear campaign against Mr. Foley.

"I hate to give up sources, but to the extent that I know the political parties of any of the people who helped us, it would be the same party," Mr. Ross said, referring to Republicans.

source

This story is not about normal homosexual relationships but a story about an old man hitting on young boys, that's why it is a scandal. If Foley was just in his early twenties and the page (or pages as it turning out) were 16, while it might still be illegal if something actually transpired other than chit chat, it wouldn't be as bad in my own personal opinion. It is the uneven age difference coupled with the aggressive nature it seems that Foley went after these much younger pages which makes it troubling and why it was right he resigned. Also the fact that he chaired a committee on protecting minors on the internet just tops the cake.

It is not only democrats taking advantage of this story who are expressing disgust at Foley's behavior.

Quote:
KING: Bay Buchanan, a member of the leadership team came to the speaker months ago, says he told him about this questionable one e-mail exchange. not a sexual one of nature but a questionable e-mail exchange in which then Congressman Foley asked a 16-year-old to send him a picture. That is red flag for pedophilia and inappropriate conduct. The Speaker says he doesn't dispute Mr. Reynolds told him that but he can't recall that conversation. What does that say about the speaker?

BUCHANAN: I tell you what, I don't know who knew what when and who is remembering correctly. I know one thing: that e-mail they call an "overly friendly e-mail" that had predator stamped all over it. No one in this country can suggest otherwise. You're in a leadership position. You have a colleague you know is at least a potential predator and we have the pages coming through his office every day? They had an obligation, that same day, to investigate him further, to call in the FBI, if that was an appropriate action and also to call in those pages and make certain every one of them was interviewed to see if there is any problems here that goes deeper than what they already knew. They failed the parents of this country is what they did.

source

Speaking as parent, I know I would be highly upset if some old man was hitting on my daughter when she was 16 in those same circumstances and would hope there was something I could do about it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 09:04 am
blueflame1 wrote:
Brandon, ok. The Nation aricle meant something different to you than to me and on this thread you''ve acted like a child for whatever reason. Even Coastal admits Hastert lied in one statement or the other. Is he a child also? Maybe it's personal? At any rate Hastert is certainly toast judging by American reaction in the poll meantioned in my last posting. That I think is great for America.

I'm not saying that he didn't lie, or that he did. You appear even now not to comprehend that I'm talking about backing assertions with evidence. Your opening post was simply hearsay.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 09:09 am
revel wrote:
It is the uneven age difference coupled with the aggressive nature...

Not to mention the power differential of a congressman versus a page. Would the page be listing that post on hist resume someday? What kind of trouble could a p.o.'ed congressman make for some kid? Especially when things like nominations for West Point are needed?

Ugly, ugly, ugly....
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 09:10 am
Brandon, my opening post nailed it. Hastert told contradictory stories and got caught.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 09:19 am
blueflame1 wrote:
Brandon, my opening post nailed it. Hastert told contradictory stories and got caught.

Nailed it, huh? What evidence did your opening post provide that these things were even said? What evidence did your opening post provide that the things you allege were said were untrue? Like a child.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 09:26 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
blueflame1 wrote:

Nailed it, huh? What evidence did your opening post provide that these things were even said? What evidence did your opening post provide that the things you allege were said were untrue? Like a child.

Brandon,

I think you might be under the misapprehension that this is a debate rather than a discussion. If you seriously believe that the facts are other than those presented, then feel free to provide your spin.

If someone doubts your assertions, then you require documentary evidence that you are wrong. Then you require documentary evidence prior to entering a discussion with someone. I find it petty, and hypocritical to boot.

Please, go trouble someone else's sandbox.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 09:31 am
Brandon, and he's still lying. Pretending the buck stops with him and saying he takes responsibility then in the next sentence blaming the Dems and Soros. Not surprising that the Bushies are protecting him anyway. A bunch of Republicans should pay the price for their actions and inactions in this case. Particularely "Thomas Reynolds, chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee, personally intervened to prevent Foley from retiring despite being aware of his correspondence with the 16-year-old boy.

In a New York Post column published Wednesday, conservative insider Robert Novak reported Foley was considering retiring after six terms in Congress because of rumours about his sexual orientation. But Reynolds, already aware of concerns Foley was overly friendly with young male pages, ''talked him into running'' because he held a safe seat for the majority party. Reynolds's chief of staff, Kirk Fordham, stepped down Wednesday after acknowledging he helped counsel Foley on how to handle the scandal." Reynolds should resign right this minute.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 09:32 am
DrewDad wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
blueflame1 wrote:

Brandon,

I think you might be under the misapprehension that this is a debate rather than a discussion. If you seriously believe that the facts are other than those presented, then feel free to provide your spin.

If someone doubts your assertions, then you require documentary evidence that you are wrong. Then you require documentary evidence prior to entering a discussion with someone. I find it petty, and hypocritical to boot.

Please, go trouble someone else's sandbox.

You may deny, if you like, that an allegation based on undocumented hearsay is a bad post, but you're wrong. It has nothing to do with whether the word "debate" applies or not - it's just a matter of clear reasoning. I can post that Nancy Pelosi has taken bribes and that it's well known in Washington, but without some evidence that this is so, it's a worthless accusation. Sad that something so elementary has to be explained to you again and again.

I know that you and your ilk don't believe in freedom of speech except for those who agree with you, but you aren't going to post nonsense here without being called on it. Have a nice day.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 09:37 am
Brandon,

You certainly have the same freedom to post as everyone else. You, however, fail to realize that your feelings about what constitutes a valid discussion topic are not universally shared.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 09:40 am
Nor are they superior to others' opinions in any way, nor are they more logical, nor are they better informed.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 10:44 am
Limbaugh Blames Pages For Foley's Misconduct

Think Progress | October 6 2006

Today on his radio program, Rush Limbaugh blamed Congressional pages for Mark Foley's misconduct. He said that the communications reported by ABC were example of "young kids" who like to "make fun of gay people." Rush's evidence? As a child, he used to order refrigerators over the phone for adults he thought were "odd or weird" as a prank. Here's an excerpt:

Back in these days you could call Sears and order a refrigerator on the phone. I had a teacher living up the street and it was the biggest thrill in the world to just call and order a refrigerator and watch Sears deliver it to an unsuspecting teacher and his wife, and far stranger things than that. But we always picked out adults that we just thought were odd or weird, and it would be fun to make fun of them, and I don't think kids today are any different…

But you know as well as I do that young kids make fun of gay people. They make fun of the way they talk; they make fun of the way some of them walk and so forth. Who knows what the word around town about fellow Foley was. Who knows? We all know that young people gay bash. Young people do a lot of stuff. They don't have the maturity to understand this kind of stuff…

I tell you, folks, you've got this page out there; you probably have a bunch of pages laughing and making fun of Foley and the way he comes on to them, and he's gay and so forth, so they egg him on and so forth….

Matt Drudge is advancing the same incoherent story. At the same time, more pages are stepping forward with details of unsolicited advances from Foley. One page told ABC, "this was no prank."
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 10:53 am
I'll bet Blue got a nice piece of wood working reading that one, eh?
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 10:58 am
woiyo, honestly Limbaugh is your meat not mine. I bet Shock&Awe was your woody. That and mass murder.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 11:08 am
A vast conspiracy of 16 year-old pages coming together (hee-hee!) to bring down the powerful....
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 11:09 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Nor are they superior to others' opinions in any way, nor are they more logical, nor are they better informed.

Cycloptichorn

But of course! Razz

Whoever heard of the idea that those who make accusation should have some evidence that they're so, or that those who claim that something was said should be prepared to show that it's so. Just a bizarre idea of mine. :wink:
0 Replies