Great Way To Lower National Debt

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 05:46 am
Quote:
Funds for an Iraq war victory party put on ice

New York Times

WASHINGTON - Even as the Bush administration urges Americans to stay the course in Iraq, Republicans in Congress have put down a quiet marker in the apparent hope that V-I Day might be only months away.

Tucked away in fine print in the military spending bill for this past year was a lump sum of $20 million to pay for a celebration in the nation's capital "for commemoration of success" in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Not surprisingly, the money was not spent.

Now congressional Republicans are saying, in effect, maybe next year. A paragraph written into spending legislation and approved by the Senate and House allows the $20 million to be rolled over into 2007.

The Democrats said both the original language and the one-year extension were pushed by Senate Republicans. The overall legislation was approved in the Senate by unanimous consent and overwhelmingly in the House after a short debate.

Democrats nevertheless said they were not pleased.

"If the Bush administration had spent more time planning for the postwar occupation of Iraq, and less time planning 'mission accomplished' victory celebrations, America would be closer to finishing the job in Iraq," said Rebecca M. Kirszner, communications director for Sen. Harry Reid of Nevada, the Democratic leader.

Lt. Col. Brian Maka, a Pentagon spokesman, said the event was envisioned more as an opportunity for "honoring returning U.S. forces at the conclusion" of operations in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Link

If we keep budgeting for things but don't actually spend the money, eventually we'll have a lot of extra money. We could actually write the checks, but never mail them, and when the 2008 bank statement comes and we balance it... Voila! Billions of extra dollars we had totally forgotten about!

Besides a Victory Party that will never happen, what else should we put into our fake spending bill? Perhaps body armor so some of our soldiers can come home for this party?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 561 • Replies: 12
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 08:24 am
Maybe someday, we can use the money to celebrate something else. Like a "We got tired of it and walked off".
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 10:29 am
Re: Great Way To Lower National Debt
squinney wrote:
Quote:
Funds for an Iraq war victory party put on ice

New York Times

WASHINGTON - Even as the Bush administration urges Americans to stay the course in Iraq, Republicans in Congress have put down a quiet marker in the apparent hope that V-I Day might be only months away.

Tucked away in fine print in the military spending bill for this past year was a lump sum of $20 million to pay for a celebration in the nation's capital "for commemoration of success" in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Not surprisingly, the money was not spent.

Now congressional Republicans are saying, in effect, maybe next year. A paragraph written into spending legislation and approved by the Senate and House allows the $20 million to be rolled over into 2007.

The Democrats said both the original language and the one-year extension were pushed by Senate Republicans. The overall legislation was approved in the Senate by unanimous consent and overwhelmingly in the House after a short debate.

Democrats nevertheless said they were not pleased.

"If the Bush administration had spent more time planning for the postwar occupation of Iraq, and less time planning 'mission accomplished' victory celebrations, America would be closer to finishing the job in Iraq," said Rebecca M. Kirszner, communications director for Sen. Harry Reid of Nevada, the Democratic leader.

Lt. Col. Brian Maka, a Pentagon spokesman, said the event was envisioned more as an opportunity for "honoring returning U.S. forces at the conclusion" of operations in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Link

If we keep budgeting for things but don't actually spend the money, eventually we'll have a lot of extra money. We could actually write the checks, but never mail them, and when the 2008 bank statement comes and we balance it... Voila! Billions of extra dollars we had totally forgotten about!

Besides a Victory Party that will never happen, what else should we put into our fake spending bill? Perhaps body armor so some of our soldiers can come home for this party?

You must know by now that armor for the soldiers isn't an issue right? We didn't even have to worry about it and we were quick mobilized.

On the party issue, it makes me feel good to know that you have faith in the US military and our ability to win in this thing. It almost sounds as if you don't want us the win and that you are cheering for the other guys.

Thank you for your support. Rolling Eyes

I must tell you that a little party for a win would be great and let us know that we have indeed done a fine job at what we do. $20 million seems small for such a show of appreciation. After all $20 million on people who work hard for their country is much better spent then $20 million spent on those who do nothing for their country.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 10:38 am
Quote:

On the party issue, it makes me feel good to know that you have faith in the US military and our ability to win in this thing. It almost sounds as if you don't want us the win and that you are cheering for the other guys.

The problem is, there is no military victory to this conflict. We will never crush the enemy in a decisive battle. It just isn't the nature of the conflict.

I don't think that anyone doubts the US military; we all know that anyone who has the balls to stand toe-to-toe with the US is going to get slaughtered. The major problem, of course, is that they refuse to stand toe-to-toe... I imagine it's much like the Brits felt when Americans would hide behind cover instead of lining up in nice neat formations during battles.

No, the victory, if there is to be one, will be a political victory. It isn't as if I'm the only one who has said this, hell, it's practically the official position of the military. And that's why we doubt, because those leading the political end of this struggle are, shall we say, less than competent. It's sad, because they aren't the ones who are going to continue being put through the meat grinder as this thing drags on; it will be the soldiers and the taxpayers.

Are things getting better/worse in Afghanistan, can you say? Keep your head down.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 10:47 am
careful you don't fall off the high horse Mr. Cable Guy.....
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 11:39 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
careful you don't fall off the high horse Mr. Cable Guy.....

There's a difference between a high horse and having optamism. I have the later. I just can't beleive all the work we have done is just going to go down the drain because some in the American public have no faith in what we can do. Now I know your going to say you don't doubt us but in thinking that it can't be done is indeed doubting us.

So you know you can call me the Cable Guy again in about a month and a half. Untill then you can call me Mr. Hooker because I still work on Chinooks.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 11:58 am
Re: Great Way To Lower National Debt
Baldimo wrote:

I must tell you that a little party for a win would be great and let us know that we have indeed done a fine job at what we do. $20 million seems small for such a show of appreciation. After all $20 million on people who work hard for their country is much better spent then $20 million spent on those who do nothing for their country.

What makes you think you and those hard working people would be invited?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 04:14 pm
Uh yeah. Cyclop and Freeduck get it.

And since just in the past week I've heard talk of reminding Americans that this could be an 8, 10 or maybe even 15 year war... Seems a little early to be planning a party. I'm the party planner, remember. The food won't keep that long, and there are more pressing needs at this time.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 06:20 pm
squinney wrote:
Seems a little early to be planning a party.

They didn't plan a party. They threw in a line item to authorize payment for a party.

Quote:
I'm the party planner, remember. The food won't keep that long, and there are more pressing needs at this time.

Then being in business you'd think you'd understand the difference between ordering food and having money in the bank to have the possibility of having a party. When someone comes to you and says "I'm thinking about having a party next June." do you immediately start buying and cooking food?

You are right, of course, that there are more pressing needs but you are throwing out silly comments that only shows that you don't know how government funding works.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 06:53 pm
fishin wrote:
squinney wrote:
Seems a little early to be planning a party.

They didn't plan a party. They threw in a line item to authorize payment for a party.

Quote:
I'm the party planner, remember. The food won't keep that long, and there are more pressing needs at this time.

Then being in business you'd think you'd understand the difference between ordering food and having money in the bank to have the possibility of having a party. When someone comes to you and says "I'm thinking about having a party next June." do you immediately start buying and cooking food?

You are right, of course, that there are more pressing needs but you are throwing out silly comments that only shows that you don't know how government funding works.

but as a party planner who has built props, she knows whitewash when she sees it.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 06:56 pm
If someone came to me with thier newborn infant wanting to start planning their bat-mitzvah I wouldn't bother asking for a deposit. I'd tell them to check back with me in 11-12 years. Cripes! I wouldn't hold on to the funds that long, and neither will the government.

(Think Social Security)

Now, tell me again how I don't know anything about how government funding works! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 06:57 pm
We may have not spent $20 million that was budgeted but we did spend $350 billion that wasn't budgeted. Those small items that aren't being spent won't make up for all the money they spend but refuse to budget for.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 07:53 pm
squinney wrote:
If someone came to me with thier newborn infant wanting to start planning their bat-mitzvah I wouldn't bother asking for a deposit. I'd tell them to check back with me in 11-12 years. Cripes! I wouldn't hold on to the funds that long, and neither will the government.

There isn't any money being held at that stage. If you understood government fiunding you'd know that. An appropriation bill is not much different than you telling the person to plan on spending $10K-$15K.

Quote:
Now, tell me again how I don't know anything about how government funding works! Rolling Eyes

Your ingorance on the topic is clear enough to anyone with basic government accounting background. Rolling Eyes

Federal government funding goes through several stages:
Appropriated -> Approved -> Authorized -> Committed -> Obligated -> Unexpended Obligation -> Expended.

The bill mentioned (if passed) is the Appropriated stage.

No funds are actually set aside (i.e. "put on deposit") until there is either a funding document or contract at the Obligated stage.
0 Replies