Was there ever, any mention of Betty's mother? Question
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2007 03:49 pm
Has Betty lost some weight?
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 04:50 pm
I hate that it overlaps with The Office! Otherwise I would watch it. I know you can watch it on ABC's website for free, but I haven't gotten around to trying it. Anyone do that?
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 10:42 am
Ugly betty is kind of Mediocre, like most Bollywood Films.

....will work gr8 in India though. In fact the Hindi version of Ugly Betty was on top charts for first 6 months of its production.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 11:41 am
It was great that it won a couple of Golden Globes.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 09:42 am
Poor Betty! Does she need a new boyfriend?

What's the deal with this gay/transgender issue?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 06:06 am
Miller wrote:
Poor Betty! Does she need a new boyfriend?

What's the deal with this gay/transgender issue?

If you are speaking of the Alex/Alexis character portrayed by Rebecca Romijn, this is about transgendering and transsexuals and unless as Alexis she wishes to be with women, then it is not a gay issue. Gay is one thing and transgender is another. Gay...more precisely homosexual..deals with persons who desire relationships of the sexual and more intimate level to be with those of their own gender. Transgender persons are those who begin life as one gender but realize they are literally trapped in the wrong body...born a woman and feeling like a man or born a man and feeling like a woman. Upon completion of transgendering (surgical and hormones included); the person may be interested in a person of their own gender (homosexual) or they may have an attraction to those of the opposite gender ( making them heterosexual). A transgender from female to male was not a lesbian. There are deep psychological rootings which come into the picture with transgendered persons.

As to what the issue is, plain and simple it is ignorance and prejudice on the part of most people. If one does not fall in line with what society has decided is normal and proper and decent, then they are looked down upon, frowned upon and spat upon.

(I know I have oversimplified here; I mainly wanted to differentiate between gay and transgender)

As to Betty, she will either get a guy or she won't...welcome to life.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 09:18 am
Quote:
I mainly wanted to differentiate between gay and transgender)

That wasn't necessary, as most adults do know the difference. The issue was the function of the various gay and transgender characters in the script.

Shocked
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 01:19 pm
Miller wrote:
Quote:
I mainly wanted to differentiate between gay and transgender)

That wasn't necessary, as most adults do know the difference. The issue was the function of the various gay and transgender characters in the script.

Shocked

Since you had said (and I quote) 'gay/transgender issue' (singular) it appeared you were merging the two and making them one in the same..again you said issue, not issues, it was singular therefore implying you meant them to be the same. If you wanted them separate; then, you should have said gay and transgender issues.

As to the function of gay and transgender characters (odd how you have now morphed issue into characters-speaks volumes about your actual and original intent), they function fairly much the same as all the other characters in the program. They are characters, developed with plot lines and subplots and interact with other characters. I mean, why not ask what is the purpose of having the Judith Light character portray a drunkard? What is the function of a philanderng husband? A conniving backstabbing individual? Characters in general (at least from what I have seen in this program) are meant to stimulate thinking. You as a viewer are being asked to view transgendered persons and homosexuals as regular folk. Ordinary individuals, with thoughts and feelings and flaws, the same as anyone else.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 12:07 pm
Have a good day!

Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 05:37 pm
I do watch "The Office" and record "Ugly Betty." There's been some episodes that didn't grab me, especially when Vanessa Williams gets a bit close the the characterization of Merly Streep in "The Devil Wears Prada" which I enjoyed more than I thought I would
0 Replies