Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 10:24 pm
Since I've moved to New Mexico, I've only seen really wimpy cheapo sponges in the kitchen section - or, to be clearer, in the possibly three or four kitchen sections of any given store. (Did I mention store aisles - at least Raley's are organized by chimpanzees.)

Even in Home Depot, g'forfend, the sponges are lame.

They are all inbedded with poofle.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,279 • Replies: 12
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 10:31 pm
I conject this is true, that sponge manufacturers look to lower sponge criteria, in the general aim to cheapo.

I start to wonder if they'll eliminate the cleaning aisle entirely.. as tooo tacky.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 10:33 pm
I see I'm ranting...

but I'm not wrong.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 11:52 pm
Ummmmm.... ok......(?)

When it comes to sponges, the cheapo variety costs how much less than te not so cheapo variety?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 12:47 am
Most of the sponges I've owned have lasted a real long time.

Could there be a Sponge Law in New Mexico, we haven't heard about?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 07:57 am
Osso--

Real cheapo sponges come home as Gifts of Practical Love from a man who was browsing in the Dollar Store.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 10:34 am
That's it, there must be a sponge law here...

On cheapo, I don't think the sponges cost less at stores here than sponges in, say, California; more that they are manufactured differently. It's a puzzlement.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 10:39 am
What are you using the sponges for?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 10:53 am
Kitchen clean-up, CJ.

In the past, in other cities, I've found different sponges for different tasks - some with a scouring mat attached, and that mat can be used, depending on how the product is labelled, for 'delicate' surfaces or more durable ones.
But here, so far, I am finding the "sponge" part of the product, with or without attached mat, is like a rectangle of foam, much lighter in composition than the sponges I'm used to.

I'm kidding about there not being the other kind here - I haven't really been to every grocery store in Albuquerque.

This is a little hard to discuss without illustrational photos, so perhaps I'll follow up with some.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 10:56 am
google:
Quote:
hardware store sponges
and you come up with 1,740,000 entries.

Why not shop online?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 11:08 am
This 3M sponge is typical of the sponge texture I'm used to - and helped me to remember that 3M is the name of the product line I've bought in the past.
http://www.onlinefloorstore.com/store/images/products/large/1007.jpg

The product I'm ranting about is "Estracell" sponges by Armaly Brands. Couldn't find a photo of the sponge itself.

Yes, sure I could buy online, Miller. When I posted the topic I had just opened a new sponge package, and felt like whining.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 11:10 am
Walgreens sells sponges. Not my first choice, but still there in an emergency.
Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 11:15 am
I don't think I've looked there, will check it out.
0 Replies