Dementia/Alzheimers and medications

quinn1

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 09:01 am
Can potassium levels and/or lack of medications assist in the rise of dementia in Alzheimers patients?
My grandmother had an episode this past weekend that was terrible and when checked out at the hospital the only thing they found was that her potassium levels were very low. I do know that she has refused to take medications in the past, and the facility she was placed in recently was to make sure she ate more regularly as the thought was her diet was not helping her situation.
Wondering though if anyone knows of any of these problems.
Her level this weekend was of the extreme as in flooding apartments, cutting electrical cords and then playing in the water like a small child. Of course, this is after trying to catch a bus to the airport the day before and being waylayed. Shes also back to threatening caregivers with her cane.
She has been placed in a more medical housing facility with nursing along with some assisted living specialties that has a special unit for Alzheimers/Dementia. So, thats good at least. Still, perplexing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,945 • Replies: 8
No top replies

husker

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 11:44 am
Potassium is one of the minerals (also referred to as electrolytes) in the body. Almost 98% of potassium is found inside the cells. Small changes in the potassium that is present outside the cells can have severe effects on the heart, nerves, and muscles.

Potassium is important to maintain several bodily functions.

Our arms and legs, for example, need potassium for the muscles to move.

The heart would not beat without potassium, which is also necessary to regulate blood pressure.

The kidney is the main organ that controls the balance of potassium. It removes excess potassium into the urine.

When potassium levels are low, you can become weak as cellular processes are impaired.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 01:00 pm
It doesnt really explain the euphoric dementia possibility though..does it?
Although it is something to keep an eye on, I was just wondering if there was something about potassium levels perhaps I didnt know.
Thanks for all the info though...could be nerve related however.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 01:03 pm
Your grandmother certainly gave the weekend staff some interesting moments--and her family some harrowing times.

Did you talk to her doctor about the possibility that her low potassium levels may have contributed to her confusion?

Everything that I've read about Alzheimer's suggests that there are no clear daily, monthly or yearly timetables. Your grandmother may have some good, lucid days ahead of her--or she may not.

One of the cruelest aspects of the disease is the terrible uncertainty.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 03:41 pm
Yes, she certainly gives interest to our lives, hopefully not too much.

It does come and go although recently more coming and more interesting but, shes also been moved around a bit....maybe the new facility with less independance will at least keep her from damaging others property as well as her own.

The uncertainty is terrible but, keeps us all on our toes.

The doctor did pump her up to adequate potassium levels but, as of yet I have not found out if that was a particular or not.
0 Replies

GreenEyes

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 03:45 pm
Quinn - My father had heart valve replacement at the Brigham a few years back. His potassium level skyrocketed and had no clue as to who we were, who he was, etc. They finally got his "cocktail" of meds balanced and is fine. Are they sure her level was low... not high?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 03:51 pm
humm..from the blabbering email I received it seems her level was at like 2.4 or something, and that that was low and she needed to get potassium pumped into her so, I have no idea...just what Im being told.
Im sure that in combination with medications and serious change in our wonderful balancing act of viatmins/minerals would have a change of some sort.
Interesting though that you have information regarding a high level and dementia. Hope your dad is well now, and that he knows who you all are even--well, you know, if you want him to and all that Wink
0 Replies

GreenEyes

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 03:55 pm
Thanks Quinn and yes, he knows who I am and he is, etc. I have no idea about the balancing act - I just hope to never go through that with him again. I feel for people with Alzheimers and their families. Its a living hell.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 04:03 pm
Its hell certainly but, what can you do but enjoy the lucid times and do your best for quality of life.
I was certainly hoping that she might continue on the path she was on when I visited with her last fall...just confused and rambling, thats not too terribly bad. This whole mean and dangerous wandering and combative thing, well...gosh...its hard to think of and harder to give support as well as sorrowful due to how it could continue to go.
I just constantly remind myself of the girl/woman/mother/grandmother she was and the disease she has no control over. All you can do really, along with continue the path and what comes up....
Trying to think of it as an interesting new development helps as the emotional part of you really has to take a back seat as much as possible, and even then being left with a lack of so many other things that can help...you know other diseases have rememdies or aides of some kind and you can wrap your head around it...thats hard...you cant wrap your head around this without stepping back from it and even then...makes ya shake your head.
Could be worse, thats all. Trying to come up with small answers, well, its something.
0 Replies