Danforth warns growing influence of Christian conservatives

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 09:52 am
Posted on Wed, Sep. 27, 2006
Danforth warns of the growing influence of Christian conservatives
By Matt Stearns
McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON - John Danforth hopes there's a reckoning in the Republican Party's future.

The former Missouri senator has, in the past 18 months, become a loud - if lonely - voice among Republican grandees, waging an op-ed insurrection warning that the influence of Christian conservatives endangers both party and country.

Now, Danforth has written a book on the subject, "Faith and Politics: How the Moral Values Debate Divides America and How to Move Forward Together."

"I'd like to see our party debate whether or not we're a religious party," Danforth said Wednesday over eggs and sausage with reporters. "Do we attempt to energize a base or do we try to reconstitute a center in American politics? . . . I'm trying to create a backlash."

The problem with strident appeals to the base, Danforth argued, is that "the American people do not want a sectarian political party. . . . The more people pay attention to this, the less likely it is to be a good strategy."

He singled out the issue of gay marriage, which many analysts say has been a winner for Republicans in the last few years because it has energized conservative Christian voters in key states, as particularly dangerous for Republicans.

First of all, he noted, "it's an issue that has no real substance . . . it is brought forward to make people angry and win political support."

And, he said, focusing on it violates the basic Republican principle of local control: "It's clearly not a constitutional issue. The Constitution is about the structure of government . . . not about addressing social issues."

Finally, he said, time spent on it is time removed from dealing with issues he regards as substantive. "When I was in Congress, I worried all day about the budget," he said. "I never worried a minute about gay marriage. Now, it's the other way around."

Politics have also defiled Christianity "because religion is being used to create a sense of God's side versus the enemies of God's side," Danforth said.

In addition to serving in the Senate from 1976 to 1994, Danforth is an ordained Episcopal priest, so his voice is considered to have some authority at the tangled intersection of faith and politics.

Yet it's also clear that in many ways, the patrician, 70-year-old Danforth is a man out of time. His mainline Episcopalian denomination is shrinking, whereas the fastest growth in American Christianity is among culturally conservative, nondenominational evangelical churches.

He lamented that his Republican Party had "lost its mooring." Asked to name young, moderate Republican leaders who could help the party find its way back, he named 76-year-old Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter and 67-year-old Missouri Sen. Kit Bond.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 321 • Replies: 3
No top replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 10:31 am
George Will said something similar right after the November 2005 elections:

Quote:
The storm-tossed and rudderless Republican Party should particularly ponder the vote in Dover, Pa., where all eight members of the school board seeking re-election were defeated. This expressed the community's wholesome exasperation with the board's campaign to insinuate religion, in the guise of "intelligent design" theory, into high school biology classes, beginning with a required proclamation that evolution "is not a fact."

But it is. President Bush's straddle on that subject probably was inflammatory, emboldening social conservatives. Dover's insurrection occurred as Kansas' Board of Education, controlled by the kind of conservatives who make conservatism repulsive to temperate people, voted 6-4 to redefine science. The board, opening the way for teaching the supernatural, deleted from the definition of science these words: "a search for natural explanations of observable phenomena."

"It does me no injury," said Thomas Jefferson, "for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." But it is injurious when zealots try to compel public education to infuse theism into scientific education. The conservative coalition, which is coming unglued for many reasons, will disintegrate if limited-government conservatives become convinced social conservatives are unwilling to concentrate their character-building and soul-saving energies on the private institutions that mediate between individuals and government and instead try to conscript government into sectarian crusades.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 10:35 am
BBB
Danforth's statements are all the more remarkable because he was the main senator responsible for the appointment of Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court.

BBB
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 11:00 am
BBB,

I remember watching the coverage of the Clarence Thomas hearings. Danforth was sitting next to Thomas' wife when Thomas made his "high-tech lynching" speech.
0 Replies