My Question is towards Accounting/Bookkeeping degree

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 05:05 pm
My Question is in regards towards getting an Accounting/Bookkeeping Degree is it worth it? Is their many jobs out there?
What about Bookkeeping?
Hours?
Pay?
Hours a week?
Building a Freelance writing business around Accounting
Building my writing career around Accounting/Bookkeeping? Worth it?
I have many more questions. But, please help clear this up for me. I will ask more once these ones are answered.

Thank You!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,471 • Replies: 13
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 07:04 pm
Just briefly, if you don't have a degree that at least entitles you take the CPA exam in your state (I'm assuming US), it's really not worth the effort. If you were thinking of an associate's degree, except for nursing, they are not especially marketable. A rare individual can still excel without the formal education in the business fields, but the odds are not good.
0 Replies

PoeticMisterE

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 11:27 pm
I was actually thinking about a certificate? heh, I can get a certificate here in USA, California. I would take 6 classes and would be able to acquire the degree that way. What about bookkeeping certificate? Thank You for answering my questions.

Leon
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 08:51 am
Oh, that might work out out in cost/benefit terms. I've an associate degree in accounting and use remarkably little of the course material. Really, Fundamentals I & II, and the small business accounting course cover over 80% of the course material that I use. Most of the rest is on the theoretical side.

The key is in getting a job in the field. After a year or two, all the practical differences between the certificate and the associate degree wash out, including the pay differences.
0 Replies

PoeticMisterE

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 12:34 pm
Yea, that's what I thought Wink So, you suggest bookkeeping? I was thinking doing that to build my business around it. So, accounting probably wouldn't work out huh? It's more of bookkeeping time of ordeal? I want to be able to get my 17 bucks an hour, while I write on the side and such. Would I be able to speak to you on yahoo messenger? I added you; hope that we can do that. Thank You!

Leon
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 07:44 am
There is a very large difference between bookkeeping and accounting. Bookkeeping - you basically are making accounting entries whereas in accounting in learn about various prinicples, disclosures, legal requirements, etc. In accounting it is more important that you understand the professional literature surrounding GAAP principles.

It sounds to me in your circumstance, that bookkeeping is the way to go - as some one else stated, you need a four year degree in accounting - basic two years does not give you the required knowledge to work in accounting, however, a two year degree or certificate is plenty for bookkeeping.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 09:16 am
Messenger is fine, Leon, but I won't be able to get into it till later this evening
0 Replies

PoeticMisterE

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 10:28 pm
Thank You!
Hello, Thank you both kindly. I appreciate it, I will definitely check out the bookkeeping major. One thing, is there many jobs for that? can it be outsourced? what is the pay like? Thank You!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 10:55 pm
There's lots of jobs. There are also lots of people to fill them. Pay? The rewards are more spiritual than monetary. Some companies are outsourcing the work, especially in the payroll area. Keep in mind, you don't get to make very many mistakes. In fact, I strongly recommend that if you get a bookkeeping certificate, you spend some time working for a professional bookkeeping service. You need more experience working for yourself, than as an employee.
0 Replies

PoeticMisterE

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 09:49 pm
What else can you tell me? Is there web sites that would be able to help me with this? I would like more information. Thank You!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 11:24 am
As I am involved in accounting/finance, I can't say from experience anything about pay and jobs in this particular field - here is the website for the AIPB - http://www.aipb.org/member_benefits.html?gclid=CN_w_Obz2ocCFQkyPgodrlMMqQ

It may have more information. I would also suggest speaking with a counselor from the school you plan on getting a certificate from - they should be able to give you lots of information. I would also imagine that the area you live would also be a determinate on the need for bookkeepers.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 11:57 am
I just took a look on craigslist for the San Francisco area, and you shouldn't have any problem getting a job for at least $17/hr.
0 Replies

PoeticMisterE

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 12:04 pm
Thank You! both so much, I really appreciate it.
0 Replies

PoeticMisterE

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 12:29 am
ANYONE ELSE?
0 Replies