Necessity of Muslim

Nanca

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 08:13 am
Recently I've read somewhere in Internet about necessity of Muslim change from Islam to Buddhism as one of the possible ways to prevent world war between civilizations. This idea has seemed very interesting to me. There is some logic in it, especially taking into account the fact that the most dogmatic trends of Islam acknowledge the real danger of Muslim-Buddhist synthesis for present Islamic religion. Thus, zealots of Islam do not exclude a possibility of such merger trend at all. And if you remember, just in order to split the links, existed between Islam and Buddhism, Talibs have crushed the last Buddhist relics - gigantic imagery of Buddha - stored at Afghani National Museum in Kabul.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 288 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 10:13 am
The differences between the Weltanschauung of the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) and Buddhism are vast, and almost irreconcilable. The Abrahamic religions see the universe as having a beginning, middle and end, while Buddhism regards the Universe as infinite and cyclical. The Abrahamic God is a discrete (or amalgamated) reality that created the universe, and has at the very least a continuing interest in it. Buddhism denies that any god(s) exist, and regard the universe as illusory/suffering. Abrahamic religions accept the idea that God can and does suspend Natural Law. One conceives of the world as multiplicity, while the other sees the universe as a single indivisible concept. The Abrahamic religions regard sensory data (time, space, and discreetness) as "real", while Buddhism regards sensory input as mere shadows of an underlying reality.

Abrahamic religions are "faith" based. One must believe, even when objective facts seriously challenge their religious doctrines. Buddhism is practical in that it is willing to discard anything that is shown to be false, or even non-productive in religious practice. Both Islam and Christianity have long histories of forcible religious conversion, while Buddhist missionary activities are so low-keyed they almost vanish into nothingness. Buddhist doctrine is at its roots designed to assist individuals to find for themselves a deeper understanding of the universe so that the individual can conquer suffering for themselves, and mitigation of suffering for all other sentient beings. The Abrahamic faiths are authoritarian, and demand that individuals subjugate themselves to the dictates of God as they are written in old "holy literature" and interpreted by those favored by God in the present.

Buddhist doctrines have for the last several hundred years made inroads in the West. Buddhist texts in translation have been available since the end of the 18th century, and have steadily increased in number and availability since that time. Buddhism became fashionable among Western intellectuals near the end of the 19th century, and again during the years following the First World War. However, it was only after WWII that Buddhism began to experience wide-spread acceptance. Popular writers since the mid-Fifties have found a large and enthusiastic following. His Holiness, The Dali Lama, has attracted much favorable attention to our religion, though most still have only vague understanding of the essential doctrines. Even so, Buddhist ideas have found their way into the belief system of many Jews and Christians, though ultimately Buddhist doctrines have very different views on the nature of reality and "god". One hopes that the infusion of Buddhist ideas will "soften" the authoritarian certainties of these religions. Maybe not.

Islam has had longer contact with Buddhism, but there is no evidence, that I know of, that Buddhism has had any positive influence with the "youngest son". Islam isn't exactly known for its ecumenical spirit. At best, Muslims have historically disenfranchised infidels including Buddhists, but left us to our "pagan" ways. At worst, Islam has destroyed Buddhist monuments, scriptures, temples, and forcibly converted Buddhists to Islam. Thankfully, the history of relations between Islam and Buddhism have been historically more often "better" than "worse".

Finally, I see no evidence to support the idea that radical Islam has any intention vis-a-vis Buddhism beyond its utter and total destruction. Quite the contrary, the world envsioned by radical Islam is one where everyone without exception are devout believers in Allah. If the radical Islamic movement is successful, the Koran, as interpreted by very reactionary conservative clergy, will trump every other written document, religious or otherwise.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 11:55 am
Asherman, as usual, an enlightening scholarly contribution. Thanks.
Let me ask: does your description of the goals of the "radical Islamic movement" have significant parallels in the ideological values of American fundamentalist Christianity?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 12:03 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Asherman, as usual, an enlightening scholarly contribution. Thanks.
Let me ask: does your description of the goals of the "radical Islamic movement" have significant parallels in the ideological values of American fundamentalist Christianity?

Ooooh, oooh!!! (waves hand wildly in the air). Can I answer that!?!?

Yes.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 12:56 pm
JL,

Yes, I believe so. My late Grandmother, a not very enthusiastic Southern Baptist, once told me that I could be any religion I wished, so long as it was Christian. She tolerated Catholics, Quakers and even the less traditional sects, but non-Christian just didn't scan. Over the years I've had more grief from radical conservative Christian bible-slappers than all other religious groups combined. Among the "devout" Abrahamics, probably Jews have been the most accepting of my Buddhist religion. On the other hand, the number of Muslims I've known is ridiculously small.
0 Replies