Is Fraternity Hazing Torture covered by Geneva Conventions?

okie

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 11:32 am
http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060910/NEWS/609100463/1039

I am just curious, is hazing torture covered by the Geneva Conventions? We need to ask John McCain to see what he thinks. Where are the calls for Kappa Alpha Psi to be shut down at Florida A&M and the students transferred to some other compound?

It is very "troubling" that this incident is not the first time this has happened. It seems to be a "pattern of abuse." Something needs to be done, perhaps legislation calling for the end of fraternities, as such organizations foster a "culture of torture and abuse."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 7,167 • Replies: 98
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 11:35 am
You peddle some pretty witless idiocies, certainly, but this one may be your greatest accomplishment in the realm of witless idiocy.

Upon what basis do you assert that Greek letter societies are combatants in the definition of the Geneva Conventions? Do you assert that Greek letter societies are signatories to the Geneva Conventions?

I congratulate you, Okie, you've reached new lows.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 11:37 am
Innocent people are being injured, Setanta. I think its time for Congressional hearings into this very grave problem facing us now.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 11:38 am
okie wrote:
Innocent people are being injured, Setanta. I think its time for Congressional hearings into this very grave problem facing us now.

If it is an international conflict, then the Geneva Conventions apply. Is that the case?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 11:39 am
Fine, that's a good suggestion. But if i were you, i'd not mention the Geneva Conventions when you contact your Represenative and Senators--you want them to take you seriously, not to laugh at you.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 11:39 am
(On the other hand, in the course of a humanitarian intervention, we could send UN peacekeeping troops....)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 11:44 am
If this is a serious question, I suggest some readings ... there are some picturebook-like online sources to give some basic ideas about what the Geneva Conventions are.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 11:45 am
<grins>
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 12:33 pm
I was just wondering if the Democrats in Congress really cared about torture, don't you think they should care when innocent college freshmen are tortured? Where are the congressional hearings into this grave matter of national concern? There are organizations in this country fostering a culture of torture, so where are the outcries to look into this by the Democrats? And where is the mainstream press on this issue? Where are the pictures?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 12:38 pm
You tell us, why do you expect anyone here to be better equipped to answer these questions than you are yourself?

By the by, since this seems to be simply a bait thread in which you attack the Democrats, it might be worthwhile pointing out to you that the only politician whom you mention by name in this thread is John McCain, who is a Republican, not a Democrat.

I'm not going to flunk you entirely on this thread, because i feel you made an effort to simulate self-righteous outrage, for however poorly executed and ill-considered.

D-
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 12:49 pm
I've heard from usually well informed sources that the Inquisitio Haereticae Pravitatis Sanctum Officium will take care of this problem.

It has been an high-ranked topic in recent talks

http://i9.tinypic.com/42spgmo.jpg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 12:50 pm
Florida A&M. Enough said....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 01:09 pm
I've been giving some cereal thought to this topic for at least the past 3 minutes and I realize that Okie is on to something big here. I mean really, how many years have gone by since the aliens crash-landed in Roswell and we all know they ended up dead because we have the the photos taken of their bodies. How did they die? Did they receive full Geneva Rights? Were they abused? Was an intrepreter provided? Did anyone from the Internation Red Cross ever interview a single one of them? Thanks Okie for bring us up to speed on this heady issue. I'm hoping the currrent conservative Bush machine will resolve this issue before our very eyes and lay it to rest once and for all.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 01:17 pm
If the hazing occurred in Illinois, it would be illegal under the Illinois Anti-Hazing Act, 720 ILCS 120/5:
    Sec. 5. Hazing. A person commits hazing who knowingly requires the performance of any act by a student or other person in a school, college, university, or other educational institution of this State, for the purpose of induction or admission into any group, organization, or society associated or connected with that institution if: (a) the act is not sanctioned or authorized by that educational institution; and (b) the act results in bodily harm to any person. Sec. 10. Sentence. Hazing is a Class A misdemeanor, except hazing that results in death or great bodily harm is a Class 4 felony.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 01:32 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
    Sec. 10. Sentence. Hazing is a Class A misdemeanor, except hazing that results in death or great bodily harm is a Class 4 felony.

Maybe this is obvious to the Americans in this thread, but it isn't obvious to me: How severe are Class A misdemeanors and Class 4 felonies? Specifically, what would be a typical punishment for either, and what better-known offenses also fall into these categories?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 01:34 pm
Under this logic, reading Okie's threads may violate the Geneva conventions.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 01:39 pm
Does this Roswell Alien Autopsy look like someone who was treated to comple Geneva Rights?
http://www.iwasabducted.com/aliengallery/autopsy10.jpg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 01:40 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Under this logic, reading Okie's threads may violate the Geneva conventions.

And I thought "torturous logic" to be mere derision.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 02:19 pm
Thomas wrote:
Maybe this is obvious to the Americans in this thread, but it isn't obvious to me: How severe are Class A misdemeanors and Class 4 felonies? Specifically, what would be a typical punishment for either, and what better-known offenses also fall into these categories?

Different states have different classifications for offenses. In Illinois, a class 4 felony is punishable by 1-3 years in prison. It is, therefore, the lowest level of felony. A class A misdemeanor is punishable by up to one year in prison, so that's the worst type of misdemeanor. Behavior that would be a class A misdemeanor may be aggravated to a class 4 felony by some special circumstance, as is the case in the anti-hazing statute. So, for instance, theft of property up to a value of $300 is a class A misdemeanor, but steal that property in a church or school and it becomes a class 4 felony.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 02:24 pm
Hazing rituals are common and usually punishable by law. When I was in the frat we had to steal things and caused a lot of misery during pledge week. Not to mention getting incredibly drunk.
0 Replies