Who says George Dubya doesn't have lots to point to???

mamajuana

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 04:17 pm
Quo vadis?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 04:27 pm
Be nice now, Mamajana.

Sofia has always been fair with me -- and certainly she can post whatever she wants in this thread.

I fail to see how posting something about what Bill Clinton did or did not do will refute any of these, but I'm always interested in seeing if Sofia can do it.

The floor is yours if you want it, Sofia.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 05:43 pm
Frank
You forgot to blame Bush for all the rain we are having in the East and the fact that the METs stink this year and of course for the ethnic killing in Africa. Bush leaves a lot to be desired but much of what you ramble on about he or no other president can control. If you are going to list the presidents short comings, and their are many, at least be honest. This not a defense of Bush it is a defense of honesty.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
Frank--What was the name of the slasher movie. There is a bet involving food and refreshment here.. Dont leave me down
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 06:08 pm
Frank!

A daunting list!

I am going to work through it, because the research will do me good on a couple of the items.

Of course, some are true. Like #1... Two countries 'attacked' and 'taken over'. Depending on the way one words something, it can appear sinister. Like AU said-- many are 'presided over', which means W's evil deed was being president when it occurred.

But, hey. I'm game.

The items I found on Clinton were things he actually did (or is alleged to have done.) I can see the possibility that proving the negative isn't immediately easy. Take a look at your list, and tell me if you want to proceed. These are remarks by Senator Inhofe on the Senate floor. To match the size and scope of your list, I'll add more later--if we are to proceed.

I don't intend on just throwing up competing accusations. Before I start my work, I want to make sure we agree on what we're doing. :wink:

------------
Let me read three paragraphs from last week's op-ed article by
Michael Kelly in the Washington Post, entitled "Lies About
China."

"In April 1996, Energy Department officials informed Samuel
Berger, then Clinton's deputy national security advisor, that
Notra Trulock, the department's chief of intelligence, had
uncovered evidence that showed China had learned how to
miniaturize nuclear bombs, allowing for smaller, more lethal
warheads..."

"The Times reports that the House Intelligence Committee asked
Trulock for a briefing in July 1998. Trulock asked for permission
from Elizabeth Moler, then acting energy secretary. According to
Trulock, Moler told him not to brief the committee because the
information might be used against Clinton's China policy..." "The
White House's secret would have remained secret had it not been
for a select investigative committee headed by Republican
Christopher Cox..."

But even using the President's fictitious paper trail, the
earliest either chairman could have known about it would have
been late spring of 1997, years after the Clinton administration
learned of it and, of course, after the 1996 elections.

I start, Mr. President, by listing a few things which we now know
to be true, factual, incontrovertible...and not classified.

1) For years, the Clinton administration covered-up China's theft of
top secret U.S. nuclear weapons data. They never informed the
Congress or American people about what had happened or its
significance to our national security.

Let me tell you what President Clinton did during this period
time:

2-- During this period of time, the President misled the American
people on numerous occasions about the threat posed by strategic
nuclear missiles in the post cold war era.

3-- During this period of time, President Clinton made statements
on over 130 separate occasions, such as the following: "For the
first time since the dawn of the nuclear age, there is not a
single solitary nuclear missile pointed at an American child
tonight. Not one. Not a single one."
-- During this period of time, he knew that China was targeting
up to 18 intercontinental ballistic missiles at American
children.

4-- During this period of time, President Clinton signed export
control waivers which allowed his top campaign fundraisers'
aerospace company to transfer sensitive U.S. missile guidance
technology to China.

5-- During this period of time, he shifted the prime satellite
export responsibility from the State Department to the Commerce
Department, making it easier for China and others to get
sensitive military-related U.S. technology.

6-- During this period of time, President Clinton hosted over 100
White House fundraisers as part of a larger aggressive scheme to
raise campaign contributions, many from illegal foreign sources,
primarily including sources in China. Among guests permitted to
attend these White House fundraisers were a convicted felon and a
Chinese arms dealer.

7-- During this period of time, John Huang, Charlie Trie, Johnny
Chung, James Riady and others with strong ties to China were
deeply involved, with the President's knowledge, in raising
Chinese-tainted campaign cash for the Clinton campaign.

8-- During this period of time, John Huang, who had been given a
security clearance without a background check, was permitted to
receive numerous classified CIA briefings, both during and after
his stay at the Commerce Department.

9-- And during this period of time, President Clinton was
successfully stopping the deployment of a national missile
defense system, exposing every American life to a missile attack,
leaving us with no defense against an intercontinental ballistic
missile.

Mr. President, China's theft of secret data on the so-called "W-
88" nuclear warhead may be one of the most serious breaches of
national security in our lifetimes.....More serious than Aldrich
Ames. Perhaps more serious than the Rosenbergs.

The public needs to understand that this story is true. This is
not about partisanship. This is not about some ancient history of
some long gone Cold War.

10) Hillary's campaign is forced to return drug money.

11) Clinton is the only sitting President to be found guilty of a criminal violation, while in office.

-------------------
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 07:18 pm
AWOL--

Never looked this one up until now.

1) He signed up for the Guard during the war.
2) After about two years, things start going down hill, though he has some good reports from superiors.
3) This is where the stories split. I won't go into it, but my take-- he basically got a Fortunate Son deferment.

What I make of this--
Better than Clinton.
Not quite as good as Al (who had bodyguards, and was a photojournalist, who had a lot of nice stuff and was widely resented by those he served with because of it.)

AWOL--no. I saw supporting documentation.
Did he get away with something? Yes.
He went halfway and crapped out. Nothing to be ashamed of, but definitely nothing to draw attention to. The noble beginning washed out with the crappy ending.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 08:16 pm
Re: Who says George Dubya doesn't have lots to point to???
Frank Apisa wrote:
This is a George W. Bush resume. It was sent to a friend of mine by a staunch Republican friend of hers.

I'm sure some of the items may be a bit exaggerated, but I'm not sure which they are.

Read it over -- and comment.

RESUME:

George W. Bush , Resume

Past work experience:

Ran for congress and lost. Ran for Governor and won.

Produced a Hollywood slashed "B" movie. WHo gives a ****?

Bought an oil company, but couldn't find any oil in Texas, so the company went bankrupt.

Bought the Texas Rangers baseball team in a sweetheart deal that took land using taxpayer money.

Biggest move: Traded Sammy Sosa to the Chicago White Sox
. Acquired A-Rod? Isn't that bigger than trading a bat corker?
With father's help and name, was elected Governor of Texas. Did this on his own. Used name recognition of former President.

Accomplishments:

Changed pollution laws for power and oil companies and made Texas the most polluted state in the Union. *sigh* Uh, huh. did that all on his own, huh?
Replaced Los Angeles with Houston as the most smog-ridden city in America. He did that too? What a guy! Rolling Eyes

Cut taxes and bankrupted the Texas government to the tune of billions in>borrowed money.

Set record for most executions by any Governor in American history.

Became president after losing the popular vote by over 500,000 votes, with>the help of father's appointments to the Supreme Court. President is elected by electoral college. Popular vote tells electoral college how to vote. Didn't this guy take Social Studies?

Accomplishments as president:

Attacked and took over two countries. Two nations that supported terrorism and threatened the safety of the world. Good for him!

Spent the surplus and bankrupted the treasury.

Shattered record for biggest annual deficit in history.

Set economic record for most private bankruptcies filed in any
12-month>period. Did he do this or the stock market? Because if the author is Blaming Bush for the stock market crash...

Set all-time record for biggest drop in the history of the stock >market. Uh, yeah. He did this. Rolling Eyes

First president in decades to execute a federal prisoner. A domestic terrorist. McVeigh had it coming. I wouldn't consider this a bad thing...

First president in US history to enter office with a criminal record. Sure about this?

First year in office set the all-time record for most days on vacation by any president in US history.

After taking the entire month of August off for vacation, presided over the>worst security failure in US history. OOHHH!!! Right, the twin towers was his fault too! Not like the terrorists were in the country during the previous presidents 8 year watch! They saw Bush was going to be in office and then decided to plan and carry out that act of terrorism! Right!

Set the record for most campaign fundraising trips than any other president in US history.

In first two years in office, over 2 million Americans lost their>jobs. Obviously his fault again. Rolling Eyes

Cut unemployment benefits for more out-of-work Americans than any president in US history.

Set the all-time record for most foreclosures in a 12-month period.

Appointed more convicted criminals to administration positions than any president in US history.

Set the record for the smallest number of press conferences of any president since the advent of television.

Signed more laws and executive orders amending the Constitution than any president in US history.

Presided over the biggest energy crisis in US history and refused to intervene when corruption was revealed.

Presided over the highest gasoline prices in US history and refused to use the national reserves as past presidents have.

Cut healthcare benefits for war veterans.

Set the all-time record for most people worldwide to take to the streets simultaneously to protest policies (15 million people), shattering the record for protest against any person in the history of mankind.

Dissolved more international treaties than any president in US history.

Most secretive and un-accountable presidency of any in US history.

Cabinet members are the richest of any administration in US history (the 'poorest' multimillionaire, Condoleza Rice has a Chevron oil tanker named after her).

First president in US history to have all 50 states of the Union simultaneously go bankrupt.

Presided over the biggest corporate stock market fraud of any market in any country in the history of the world.

First president in US history to order a US attack and military occupation of a sovereign nation.

Created the largest government department bureaucracy in the history of the United States.

Set the all-time record for biggest annual budget spending increases, more than any president in US history.

First president in US history to have the United Nations remove the US from the human rights commission.

First president in US history to have the United Nations remove the US from

the elections monitoring board.

Removed more checks and balances, and have the least amount of congressional oversight than any presidential administration in US history.

Rendered the entire United Nations irrelevant.

Withdrew from the World Court of Law.

Refused to allow inspectors' access to US prisoners of war and by default no longer abide by the Geneva Conventions.

First president in US history to refuse United Nations election inspectors (during the 2002 US elections).

All-time US (and world) record holder for most corporate campaign donations.

Biggest lifetime campaign contributor presided over one of the largest corporate bankruptcy frauds in world history (Kenneth Lay, former CEO, Enron Corporation, now a convicted felon).

Spent more money on polls and focus groups than any president in US history.

First president in US history to unilaterally attack a sovereign nation against the will of the United Nations and the world community.

First president to run and hide when the US came under attack (and then lied saying the enemy had the code to Air Force 1).

First US president to establish a secret shadow government.

Took the biggest world sympathy for the US after 9/11, and in less than a year made the US the most resented country in the world (possibly the>biggest diplomatic failure in US and world history).

With a policy of 'disengagement,' created the most hostile Israeli-Palestine relations in at least 30 years.

Fist US president in history to have a majority of the people of Europe (71%) view presidency as the biggest threat to world peace and stability.

First US president in history to have the people of South Korea more threatened by the US than their immediate neighbor, North Korea.

Changed US policy to allow convicted criminals to be awarded government contracts.

Set all-time record for number of administration appointees who violated US law by not selling huge investments in corporations bidding for government contracts.

Failed to fulfill pledge to get Osama Bin Laden 'dead or alive.'

Failed to capture the anthrax killer who tried to murder the leaders of our country at the United States Capitol building. After 18 months there are no leads and zero suspects.

In the 18 months following the 9/11 attacks, successfully prevented any public investigation into the biggest security failure in the history of the United States.

Removed more freedoms and civil liberties for Americans than any other>president in US history.

In a little over two years created the most divided country in decades, possibly the most divided the US has ever been since the civil war.

Entered office with the strongest economy in US history and in less than two years turned every single economic category heading straight down.

Records and References:

At least one conviction for drunk driving in Maine (Texas driving record has been erased and is not available).

AWOL from National Guard and deserted the military during a time of war.

Refused to take drug test or even answer any questions about drug use.

All records of tenure as governor of Texas have been spirited away to father's library, sealed in secrecy, and unavailable for public view

All records of any SEC investigations into personal insider trading or bankrupt companies are sealed in secrecy and unavailable for public view.

All minutes of meetings for any public corporation in which Bush served on the board are sealed in secrecy and unavailable for public view.

Any records or minutes from meetings Bush or his vice president attended regarding public energy policy are sealed in secrecy and unavailable for public review.

I couldn't go on any more. Instead I will just give a great big Rolling Eyes to the rest of them. I mean, c'mon! Most of it is just stupid **** anyways...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 08:17 pm
Nothing to be ashamed of. He was in an outfit never in danger of being sent to war and still he couldn't get through his hitch. That's more honorable than Clinton stating "I don't believe in the war and am not going?"
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 10:22 pm
Hey Frank - I like Sophia. Though we spar with each other, I respect her opinions and her courtesy. That's why I always think responding to her is worth while. And sometimes we have a little fun.

But Edgar - who was discussing honor?

Somewhere, on one of these threads, somewhere, is a full disclosure record of the Bush AWOL, complete with names, commanding officers, men who don't recall ever seeing him, etc. Which may explain the way he salutes.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 06:43 am
Sophia

Quote:
he basically got a Fortunate Son deferment.

Never heard of that one before. Does that mean he had a father with enough money and influence to clean up his mess? That is a slap in the face to everyone who has served in the Armed forces of this country. The man has absolutely no shame or conscience. How someone with that record can stage photo ops.such as the one recently aboard the navy ship is beyond my comprehension. Shame ,Shame.
There are truth in lending laws, there should also be truth in politics laws. Three strikes and you are out. {fat chance}
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 08:20 pm
AU--I hear you.

A lot of guys refused to go.
Some of them got Fortunate Son deferments.

It is hard for me to make a distinction between these types--and the type like Gore, who went but got desk jobs or had bodyguards.

They are broiling around in some character limbo for me. It's hard for me to stand in judgement, because they faced something I never have.

I have to keep in mind Bush may be telling the truth--but in reading all the information--pro- and con-Bush, it seems he should make no illustrious references to his National Guard time. It does look like to me someone did some fancy paperwork for him.

Interesting side note: Bush's and Gore's duelling dubious military records sort of washed in their election campaigns. Someone like Kerry, even though his post-war behavior may wash it out, may make Bush's National Guard time an issue. It wouldn't be a determining factor in an election, but could be some ammo.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 09:46 am
au1929 wrote:
Frank
You forgot to blame Bush for all the rain we are having in the East and the fact that the METs stink this year and of course for the ethnic killing in Africa. Bush leaves a lot to be desired but much of what you ramble on about he or no other president can control. If you are going to list the presidents short comings, and their are many, at least be honest. This not a defense of Bush it is a defense of honesty.

Au, please read my initial comments.

This is not my list. It is a list that was sent to me -- and I am asking for help disputing some of the items.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 09:48 am
Sofia wrote:
Frank!

A daunting list!

I am going to work through it, because the research will do me good on a couple of the items.

Of course, some are true. Like #1... Two countries 'attacked' and 'taken over'. Depending on the way one words something, it can appear sinister. Like AU said-- many are 'presided over', which means W's evil deed was being president when it occurred.

But, hey. I'm game.

The items I found on Clinton were things he actually did (or is alleged to have done.)

Sofia

No matter how much Clinton did -- how is that going to effect Geroge Dubya's list?

Hell, for the sake of it, I'll agree to every charge you made about Clinton -- and any others you might care to make.

How does that effect the Bush list?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 09:58 am
Frank wrote "How does that effect the Bush list?".

I'm sure that it will effectively have no affect whatsoever.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 11:07 am
I don't know. Monica could be the reason the WMDs were not found.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 11:09 am
Finding traces of Monica's saliva on a WMD woudn't be a surprise.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 11:11 am
I heard they are checking out the DNA on the cigar.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 11:14 am
the republicans only wanted to know if it was Cuban. (and where they could get some)
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
I guess my issue is fairness and context.

If Bush's list stands alone--he looks like a horrible guy. If you put his list next to some of his predessors, the view of Bush seems more accurate and balanced in context--like mitigating circumstances in a trial.

This does change the list to me, though it may not for others.

Example--
Bush was the first President to be elected to office with a criminal record. (I'm guessing the DUI) No one was hurt.

Clinton is the first President to commit a criminal violation while in office. (The Privacy Act). Against a judge's orders, Clinton impugned the right to privacy of J. Willey, by releasing personal letters she'd written him. She was hurt.

While similar acts don't change the fact of Bush's action in this case, it provides material which may alter the resulting opinion of the critic.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
I agree, dys.
I don't know where politicians leave their souls on the way to the top.
On some sticky rung.

There has to also be some really scary personality trait that compels these people to seek that position.

If we could ever force Campaign Finance reform and outlaw PACs...
0 Replies