Devil With the Blue Dress On? Falwell calls Hillary Lucifer

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 09:45 am
Devil With the Blue Dress On? Falwell Confirms 'L.A. Times' Report That He Likened Hillary to Lucifer
Published: September 25, 2006
E & P

RICHMOND, Va. The Rev. Jerry Falwell acknowledged on Sunday that he said if Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton were the Democrats' presidential nominee in 2008, it would motivate conservative evangelical Christians to oppose her more than if the devil himself were running.

Falwell said in a telephone interview that his comments to several hundred pastors and religious activists at the "Value Voter Summit" conference were "totally tongue-in-cheek."

"I certainly hope that Hillary is the candidate," Falwell said at a breakfast session Friday in Washington. "I hope she's the candidate, because nothing will energize my (constituency) like Hillary Clinton," he said. "If Lucifer ran, he wouldn't."

His remarks were first reported in Sunday's Los Angeles Times.

Clinton press secretary Philippe Reines said Sunday, "Working for someone who believes in the Golden Rule, we're not going to engage in such vitriolic discourse _ but it seems that a new low has been reached in demonizing political opponents."

Falwell told the AP that he did not intend to demonize the former first lady. "That was totally tongue-in-cheek and everyone in the building knew that and everyone laughed," Falwell said.

Falwell said religious conservatives do not favor Clinton for several reasons, but mostly because she is pro-choice on abortion, "the cutting-edge issue for social conservatives."

"I just think that she has enough of a record before our people now to bring most of them to the polls," Falwell said.

The Rev. Barry Lynn, director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, said, "I don't know why Jerry Falwell always has to drag politics into the gutter."

Lynn, whose advocacy group scrutinizes the religious right and was monitoring last week's conference, added, "Maybe the devil made him do it."

Attendees also were assured during the prayer breakfast that God would preserve a Republican majority in Congress.

Falwell would not say what he thought would happen in 2008 if Clinton were not the nominee.

"In '08, I think that's too far ahead to know what's going to happen in the domestic and foreign policy issues," Falwell said in the interview.

"In my opinion, the big issue then will be what the big issue is today, and that is national security and the war on terrorism at home and abroad. I don't think anybody doubts that the Republicans have a better record and a better commitment to national security than the Democrats do," Falwell said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 593 • Replies: 10
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 10:25 am
He is probably right.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 10:54 pm
Another dirty trick by Republicans to try to focus on 2008 and not 2006
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 10:56 pm
Of course, Falwell knows who Lucifer is as he worships Lucifer aka Jesus.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 12:59 am
talk72000 wrote:
Of course, Falwell knows who Lucifer is as he worships Lucifer aka Jesus.

Don't you think its stepping outside the lines of good taste to insult a religion. Have you leveled the same insults at Islam?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 01:36 am
Personally, I single out no one religion for contempt; I hold them all in equal regard. Nothing a religion's propononent or opponent could say would in any way affect my respect for that - or any other - religion.

I will say, however, that though I think Falwell's an ass, the article unfairly mischaracterizes what he said - that's a cheapshot, and itself is reprehensible.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 09:26 pm
Baldimo, it is no insult it is the truth if you can handle it. in Revelation Jesus identifies himself as 'Morning Star' son of the Dawn and Lucifer is also Son of the Dawn.

Lucifer is a prophecy of a man who will make five "I will" claims:

1) I will ascend into heaven; Jesus' ascension into heaven
2) I shall be like the most high; Jesus says he is the 'first and the last, the Alpha and the Omega' which the Hebrew proclaims Himself to be.
3) I will sit on the Mount Zion; as a child Jesus sat inthe Temple
4) I will set my throne above the stars of god; Jesus syas his followers will judge the Jews and settheir throne above them - jews are the stars of God.
5) I will ride abovetheclouds; Jesus' ascension does that.

No personage in the history fulfills that prophecy as well as Jesus/Lucifer/Helel/MorningStar.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 09:33 pm
To date, Falwell's comments are the only reason I've found to vote for Hillary. Can you come up with a couple more?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 09:38 pm
I agree with you, Roger, though we are on different sides politically.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 10:14 pm
But I bet we're not on opposite sides on every single issue.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 10:15 pm
Probably not.
0 Replies