Birth Control and Pregnancy

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 03:28 pm
A week ago my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex. I am currently on the pill but the night of intercourse I forgot to take my pill. I usually take it anywhere from 11:00p to 12:30a. I know if you do not take your pill ontime it can make you fertile. I am only 18 years old and am not ready for a child. What are the chances I am pregnate? I have not taken a test yet b/c I am not sure how long I need to wait for it to be accurate. Any kind of feedback would be excellent!!! - Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,301 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 03:32 pm
Quote:
Am I Pregnant?
Pregnancy tests look for a special hormone in the urine or blood that is only there when a woman is pregnant. This hormone, human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), can also be called the pregnancy hormone.

The pregnancy hormone, hCG, is made in your body when a fertilized egg implants in the uterus. This usually happens about 6 days after conception. But studies show that the embryo doesn't implant until later in some women. The amount of hCG increases drastically with each passing day you are pregnant.

Many home pregnancy tests claim they can tell if you're pregnant on the day you expect your period. But a recent study shows that most don't give accurate results this early in pregnancy. Waiting one week after a missed period will usually give a more accurate answer.

http://4women.gov/faq/pregtest.htm

Looks like you need to wait at least a week after a missed period to get a reliable result. Have you missed your period yet?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 03:51 pm
I think the likelihood es extremely slim, but like Phoenix said, wait and see if you miss a period and then take a test if so.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 03:53 pm
No condom?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 06:14 pm
How long have you been taking BCPs? If this is your first or second cycle then there is a greater chance of one missed pill causing a problem than if you've been on the pill for a long time.

Did you take two pills the next day?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 06:24 pm
place the pill firmly between your knees and hold it there eternally.
0 Replies

WrightCal

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 09:20 pm
thank you for the quick feeback...

Phoenix- no i have not missed a period yet. I am not due until the 5th
0 Replies

WrightCal

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 09:30 pm
Miller - No, unfortunately no condom was used?

JPB- this is only my second month of taking the pill. the next day morning at about 9:30am i realized i had forgotten to take it so i took one right then. at 11:00 that night (my regular time to take the pill) I took another one. One of my friends had told me that i should take 2 pills so the following night i took 2 of them at the same time and then skipped the next day. I have been taking them regular ever since.

Thank you guys sooo much for your input...i REALLY appreciate it!

dyslexia- i know i messed up...please dont be rude
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 09:41 pm
He wasn't trying to be rude. It's just a very old joke, and he has a rather quirky sense of humor. That's all. He's really a teddy bear.

{{{smooches to Dys}}}
0 Replies

WrightCal

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 10:00 pm
Eva - i am familiar with the joke.... i am just really stressed out about this
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 10:08 pm
dyslexia wrote:
place the pill firmly between your knees and hold it there eternally.

Won't it melt?
0 Replies

xguymontagx

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 12:26 am
This has happened to me before, I know how stressful it can be with the preganancy scare thing.

Take a deep breath and try to relax. Repeat as often as possible. At this point there isn't much you can do, but wait. since you can't do anything about it right now TRY(I know harder said then done) to not worry about it till there is something you can do.

ADVICE for the FUTURE: I know it's too late for you this time, but next time this happens to you get up early the next morning and get a day after pill. I'm not saying make a habit of using the day after pill, but in a situation like this one it's a good idea.

Also get your boyfriend to help remind you to take them. With my ex-girlfriend I used to ask her everyday at around the time she was supposed to take her pill. We considered it both our responsibility.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 02:47 am
WrightCal wrote:
the next day morning at about 9:30am i realized i had forgotten to take it so i took one right then. at 11:00 that night (my regular time to take the pill) I took another one. One of my friends had told me that i should take 2 pills so the following night i took 2 of them at the same time and then skipped the next day. I have been taking them regular ever since.

Thank you guys sooo much for your input...i REALLY appreciate it!

dyslexia- i know i messed up...please dont be rude

Taking the pill about 10 hours later than usual, does not make a difference to most pills (read the information that comes with your pill.

Taking two at once afterwards and then skipping one is plain silly, and you are not REALLY at risk of getting pregnant!

So please use additional precautions until you have your next period!
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 02:48 am
NOW REALLY

not not, of corse
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 06:24 am
I agree with Bohne about the goofiness of taking one the morning after, two the same night and then skipping a day. Don't be surprised if you start spotting. Chances are slim that you're pregnant, but don't start messing around with doubling up and skipping. If you don't have a product insert from your pills on hand then you can usually find one for your particular brand online. I do suggest that the next time you pick up a supply of BCPs that you keep an insert in a drawer someplace so you can refer to it if you need to.

Most inserts recommend taking one pill as soon as you realize you've forgotten to take it (in the morning, in your case). If you discover that you've missed one at the time you go to take the next one then you take two at once and then continue on the regular schedule. I've never heard of doubling up by taking one in advance and then skipping the next one.

I also agree with Bohne that, at this point, you should be using supplemental protection until your next cycle.
0 Replies

Loren Whetstone

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 10:52 am
A lot of times the birth control dosent work. I go to a school called T.A.P.P Its for teenage pregnancy girls. When I first came here I asked them if they were on birth control and they were. exmp...the shot,the pill,the patch. Those dont work. But you should wait at least a couple of weeks to take the test. Its really not that bad being pregnant. I konw your 18 and might not be ready but if you end up pregnant its the best feeling someone could ever get. I only have 2 more months to go and Im excited. Im 16 years old. Its amazing I tell ya so dont be bumbed out if you are! Good luck!
0 Replies