New design hotel (by Gehry) in Bilbao

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 11:49 pm
Quote:
Rioja in a designer glass

In an exclusive preview, we take a look around Gehry's latest masterpiece, a wavy titanium-clad hotel on a 150-year old bodega

Dale Fuchs
Saturday September 23, 2006
The Guardian

Driving south from Bilbao through swathes of fertile countryside, stone churches and rustic Basque towns, you don't expect to stumble across an example of splashy modern architecture. But there it is, sprouting from the vineyards, a sculpted metallic hulk - tinted wine red, gold and silver - rather like the twisted foil discarded from an open bottle of Rioja.
The hotel at the 150-year-old Marqués de Riscal bodega near Elciego in La Rioja, which opens next Wednesday, bears all the wavy titanium-clad hallmarks of its designer Frank Gehry.

Ever since Gehry's Guggenheim put Bilbao on the map almost a decade ago, designer buildings and bridges have been shooting up throughout Spain, from Santiago Calatrava's ship-shaped opera house in Valencia to Sir Richard Rogers' rainbow-coloured airport in Madrid. Now bodegas have joined the quest, with the likes of Calatrava's avant-garde cedar-clad, barrel-like winery installation at nearby Bodegas Ysios, which is open for public tours.

The Marqués de Riscal has gone one better, creating a wine-themed hotel. Part of the €80m winery overhaul, it is aimed at design-conscious and gastronomic tourists who don't mind paying between €300 and €1,350 for a room with red velvet curtains and sleek marble baths.
Except that here ordinary baths will not suffice. Instead at the "wine-therapy" spa, travellers can soak in tubs that look like oak barrels, bubbling with wine extracts.

The grape is everywhere, from the cellar beneath the lobby to the curled metallic canopies on sandstone pillars, meant to suggest a vine sprouting from the ground. Take the first sip on a 90-minute tour (€6), which begins at stainless-steel fermentation vats and concludes in a century-old stone cellar where oak barrels line dark, mould-stained walls.

Next to the Guggenheim, of course, the interiors of the hotel seem a bit tame. You expect every space to be mind-blowing, like the museum, and it is more standard urban chic. But a few curvy walls and the Gehry-designed chairs and lamps keep it interesting. The best place to be is on one of the many outdoor decks enjoying the view of distant mountains while watching the sun reflect on titanium ribbons. The contrast of the avant-garde building with the surrounding countryside is exhilarating.

Back inside, the chef, Francis Paniego, hails from a Michelin-starred Basque restaurant, El Portal known for its creative cuisine, and the €90 tasting menu includes dishes such as foie gras custard, Iberian-ham ice cream and sweet tomato tartar with cold garlic cream soup.

Watch out if you drink too much wine at dinner: some of the the sleek rooms are slightly dizzying at first, with undulating leather headboards and slanted windows that follow the contours of Gehry's design.

Next year, a spokeswoman says the hotel plans to offer grape-harvest packages for do-it-yourself tourists who think strenuous exercise is romantic. The Sauvignon massage may just come into its own.

Source

Photo from the online version:

http://i10.tinypic.com/2z8duuu.jpg

from the print version (page 80)

http://i9.tinypic.com/33kat52.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 679 • Replies: 5
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 09:38 am
<laughing>

Sometimes even I think enough is enough. The man has been extruding foil ribbons for quite some time now, and I do like quite a bit of it. Not this one..

The article makes me want to look up Calatrava's opera house in Valencia though.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 09:43 am
The opera house -

http://static.flickr.com/10/13185904_7d875549f3_m.jpg

source
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 12:10 pm
The hotel looks a bit odd, as if it's falling down. Or maybe it isn't finished yet. I like Gehry's Guggenheim in Bilbao and the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles(Pictured).

http://www.stahl-online.de/images/WaltDisneyConcertHall_56235.jpg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 12:20 pm
coluber2001 wrote:
The hotel looks a bit odd, as if it's falling down.

It may look "odd" but it's definately finished.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 12:21 pm
I like both of those too.

On the Rioja building, as I opined to an architectural historian friend in a conversation, "less would be more".
0 Replies