Potty training question

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 07:31 am
not for me thankfully, but for my 2 1/2 YO daughter. She is basically trained in the fact that she knows when to go and where to go, but when she gets there she doesn't pull her pants down. Has anyone experienced this? We don't know what to try. Even our pediatrician has never heard of this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 657 • Replies: 6
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 07:34 am
Hi morpheus,

Hmm. Maybe have her practice, then set up some kind of reward system? If she remembers to pull her pants down she gets a sticker, 5 stickers and she gets a prize, that sort of thing. Can start with getting stickers just for doing it at all even if she doesn't have to go potty, then move to getting stickers when she does it before going to the potty.

If she's physically able to do it, it's just a matter of making it habit.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 08:12 am
I agree with Sozobe. However, I would only do it when she is in the appropriate place with the potty. You wouldn't want to reward the fact that she may start to pull them down in inappropriate places and circumstances with the expectation of getting a reward.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 08:18 am
Right, I was thinking in a bathroom context -- like, even if she doesn't have to use the potty at the moment, practicing all of the motions (pulling down pants then sitting on potty) and getting a reward for that, as separate from using the potty. Then once she's mastered that, making the reward be only when she does the whole thing -- pulls down pants, uses potty.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 08:23 am
We had a chart (from Kandoo?) with stickers for each step of going potty...

Pull down pants, go potty, flush potty, wipe, wash hands,

After the chart was fully filled, she got a treat.
0 Replies

morpheus0811

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 09:20 am
thanks for the quick responses. We tried the sticker thing and she didn't really equate the two. That was some time ago however. Maybe we will try it again.

thanks for the nice first impression of the board.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 09:38 am
morpheus0811 wrote:
thanks for the quick responses. We tried the sticker thing and she didn't really equate the two. That was some time ago however. Maybe we will try it again.

thanks for the nice first impression of the board.

I have found that jelly beans (or something similar that the child likes) can work in place of stickers.
0 Replies