USSC dominated by conservatives.

au1929

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 09:05 am
Lobbying Starts as Groups Foresee Supreme Court Vacancy

By ROBIN TONER and NEIL A. LEWIS

WASHINGTON, June 7 — Interest groups on the left and the right are beginning full-scale political campaigns — including fund-raising, advertising and major research — to prepare for what many expect to be a Supreme Court vacancy in the next several weeks.
While none of the justices have said they plan to retire, any decision would traditionally be announced at the end of the court's term in late June.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/08/politics/08COUR.html?th

If the anticipated resignation(s) should come to fruition and Bush is able to stack the court with conservative or those with religious right ideology. What do you believe that will affect the law of the land.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 824 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 11:14 am
I have mixed feelings. For decades, the courts maintained a liberal flavor while the conservatives squirmed. The pendulum has swung back and now the liberals will grackle their teeth. It is the way of the Constitution.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 11:27 am
Mapleleaf
Will Roe v Wade survive? Will the line between church and state be further eroded? Can you think of any other existing laws or decisions that are likely to be overturned or at least modified. How do you believe the tenor of the decisions of the court will be changed?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 11:44 am
I'd like to see Rehnquist and Thomas out of there -- they are both extremely second-rate jurists. Replace them with first-rate judges and I'll be satisfied.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 12:24 pm
I don't know that i'm terribly worried--people were rather disappointed in the performance of O'Conner as a conservative after that appointment. Putting someone in the position of "Justice for Life" tends to have unintended consequences . . .
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 01:08 pm
Tartarin
Thomas is not going anywhere. He indeed is a poor excuse for a supreme court judge. All he seems capable of is to parrot Scalia
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 01:15 pm
I'm not a tenacious supporter of Roe v Wade, but I would LOVE to see them play with it again. That's a real third rail for the Right.

As for O'Connor, she's not the first conservative -- by far -- who turned out to be more centrist once on the Court. It must be a little like jury duty in a criminal trial for the average citizen. You go in there with all kinds of ideas about "I can tell whether they're guilty or not" and then find out the trial is about the law, about proof. I remember once learning a little about Napoleonic Law and how it elucidated our legal system for me. Anyone here who can compare the two systems?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 02:51 pm
Tartarin
How do you feel about separation of church and state and Bush's religious initiatives. Bush will be able to impose them free from fear the USSC will find any of them unconstitutional. How does Scalia as chief justice sit with you? Are you comfortable with that thought?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 02:54 pm
Not particularly, Au, are you? But I have some respect for Scalia and a bit of a wait-and-see attitude. Also, I think the Right in general is on the defensive, and the USSC is not unaware that half the country thinks it has behaved fraudulently. Altogether, as a co-conspirator and I agreed in another thread, it's worth investing in some good beer and popcorn and observing the mess. You're welcome to join in!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 03:28 pm
Tartarin
No I am not. Scalia is a right wing ideologue, the courts Tom Delay.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 03:31 pm
That's true -- well, perhaps not as unscrupulous as DeLay. So-o-o-o, what're ya gonna do about it?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 03:32 pm
That's true -- well, perhaps not as unscrupulous as DeLay. So-o-o-o, what're ya gonna do about it?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 03:36 pm
Tartarin
About the same as you did in stopping Bush from attacking Iraq.
It is not what I am going to do about it but rather how hard the democrats in the senate fight to stop it from happening
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 04:26 pm
Ahhh. That's what's getting us so much action on the Hill. Hmmm.
0 Replies