Ahmadinejad and Ground Zero

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 02:45 pm
The local right wing crazies have been going off on talk radio about this particular hypothetical.
Does he have a right to visit Ground Zero while in NY?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 592 • Replies: 9
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 10:53 pm
No, and current events are not a factor. As a citizen and representative of a nation with which we do not have formal relations and on which we have unilaterally imposed economic, trade and travel restrictions - in place since 1979 - he does not have any travel rights beyond those directly consequent to his business at the UN. His presence in NY for the purpose of UN business is a special circumstance, and he is not authorized unassociated travel ... without specific legislation or executive order to the contrary, Airport - UN Campus - Airport, is his only legally permissible itinerary.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 08:08 am
I can't remember the source but I believe I recall hearing that his visa permitted him a 25 mile travel radius from the U.N.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 09:04 am
I think that may be right ... not sure, but I think he has to file a "travel plan" of sorts too ... detailing where he's going, why, and so forth - could be wrong about that, though. I sorta recall a flap some years back with some Cuban diplomats who ... I dunno ... strayed outside the bubble or went somewhere they shouldn't have.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 09:28 am
timberlandko wrote:
No, and current events are not a factor. As a citizen and representative of a nation with which we do not have formal relations and on which we have unilaterally imposed economic, trade and travel restrictions - in place since 1979 - he does not have any travel rights beyond those directly consequent to his business at the UN. His presence in NY for the purpose of UN business is a special circumstance, and he is not authorized unassociated travel ... without specific legislation or executive order to the contrary, Airport - UN Campus - Airport, is his only legally permissible itinerary.

Anyone have a problem with this? I don't.

I reject the Canadians representation of US citizens as "crazies".
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 09:31 am
How about an American representation?

The same right-wingnuts are on the radio everywhere now...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 09:44 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
How about an American representation?

The same right-wingnuts are on the radio everywhere now...

Cycloptichorn

What are you talking about?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 09:48 am
woiyo wrote:
I reject the Canadians representation of US citizens as "crazies".

Uhm . . . that was right out of left field. Who here has characterized U.S. citizens as crazies? It would help disucssion if you showed a source for this, which is otherwise both a non sequitur and a strawman.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 09:57 am
I feel like Sancho Panza trying to convince Don Quixote that windmills are windmills, and not giants. Here, Woiyo, let me 'splain some things for you.

The first point is that Candide1 is a Canadian. That's a Canadian, not Canadians.

Second, he said local, which means he is talking about other Canadians, not about U.S. citizens.

Even had he described some Americans as rigth wing crazies, that doesn't mean that all Americans are crazies, and it doesn't mean that there are no left wing crazies.

I'd say you're just looking for a fight. You're tilting at windmills.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 01:40 pm
Setanta wrote:
I feel like Sancho Panza trying to convince Don Quixote that windmills are windmills, and not giants. Here, Woiyo, let me 'splain some things for you.

The first point is that Candide1 is a Canadian. That's a Canadian, not Canadians.

Second, he said local, which means he is talking about other Canadians, not about U.S. citizens.

Even had he described some Americans as rigth wing crazies, that doesn't mean that all Americans are crazies, and it doesn't mean that there are no left wing crazies.

I'd say you're just looking for a fight. You're tilting at windmills.

Thanks Set....they were in fact Canadian right wing crazies who froth at the mouth in the very same manner as said left wing crazies. Their conditioned reflexes are just set differently.
0 Replies