Ted Turner says Iraq war among history's "dumbest"

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 12:11 pm

By Daniel Trotta

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The U.S. invasion of Iraq was among the "dumbest moves of all time" that ranks with the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor and the German invasion of Russia, billionaire philanthropist Ted Turner said on Tuesday.

The founder of CNN and unabashed internationalist also defended the right of Iran to have nuclear weapons and the effectiveness of the United Nations and, in a jocular mood, advocated banning men from elective office worldwide in a Reuters Newsmaker appearance.

Alternately combative and humorous, Turner spoke nine years after his pledge to donate $1 billion to the United Nations over 10 years and on the same day President Bush addressed the U.N. General Assembly a mile away.

The U.S. invasion of Iraq has caused "incalculable damage" that will take 20 years to overcome "if we just act reasonably intelligently."

"It will go down in history, it is already being seen in history, as one of the dumbest moves that was ever made by anybody. A couple of others that come to mind were the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor and the German invasion of Russia," Turner told the forum.

"It literally broke my heart. You don't start wars just because you don't like somebody. ... I wouldn't even start a war with Rupert Murdoch," Turner said, referring to his onetime cable network rival.

Often contrarian, Turner called it a "joke" that Bush demanded that Iran abandon any ambitions for nuclear weapons while at the same time hoping to ban all such bombs.

"They're a sovereign state," Turner said of Iran. "We have 28,000. Why can't they have 10? We don't say anything about Israel -- they've got 100 of them approximately -- or India or Pakistan or Russia. And really, nobody should have them. Continued...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,684 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 12:12 pm
Testimonials are irrelevant.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 12:19 pm
Re: Ted Turner says Iraq war among history's "dumbest&q
freedom4free wrote:

By Daniel Trotta

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The U.S. invasion of Iraq was among the "dumbest moves of all time" that ranks with the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor and the German invasion of Russia, billionaire philanthropist Ted Turner said on Tuesday.

The founder of CNN and unabashed internationalist also defended the right of Iran to have nuclear weapons and the effectiveness of the United Nations and, in a jocular mood, advocated banning men from elective office worldwide in a Reuters Newsmaker appearance.

Alternately combative and humorous, Turner spoke nine years after his pledge to donate $1 billion to the United Nations over 10 years and on the same day President Bush addressed the U.N. General Assembly a mile away.

The U.S. invasion of Iraq has caused "incalculable damage" that will take 20 years to overcome "if we just act reasonably intelligently."

"It will go down in history, it is already being seen in history, as one of the dumbest moves that was ever made by anybody. A couple of others that come to mind were the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor and the German invasion of Russia," Turner told the forum.

"It literally broke my heart. You don't start wars just because you don't like somebody. ... I wouldn't even start a war with Rupert Murdoch," Turner said, referring to his onetime cable network rival.

Often contrarian, Turner called it a "joke" that Bush demanded that Iran abandon any ambitions for nuclear weapons while at the same time hoping to ban all such bombs.

"They're a sovereign state," Turner said of Iran. "We have 28,000. Why can't they have 10? We don't say anything about Israel -- they've got 100 of them approximately -- or India or Pakistan or Russia. And really, nobody should have them. Continued...

The only idiot more irrelevant then Ted Turner is you!
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 01:18 pm
And I say the dumbest war in history was the Spanish-American War.

Ted Turner's opinions are no more valid than mine. Or yours. Or Woiyo's. Or anyone else's. So what's the point?
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 01:22 pm
Re: Ted Turner says Iraq war among history's "dumbest&a
woiyo wrote:

You're a Native American Injun right ?

You're clearly having problems understanding english.

I'm gona have to communicate to you via smoke signals

A vision of Bush's future America :

http://www.english.upenn.edu/~traister/hbomb.gif
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 01:26 pm
Opinions opposing the current conflict are abundant.
I sincerely hope that whenever someone expresses their negative opinion of the war, you don't feel inclined to post it.
There are tens of millions who oppose it....does that not suffice?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 01:33 pm
freedom4free wrote:
woiyo wrote:

You're a Native American Injun right ?

You're clearly having problems understanding english.

I'm gona have to communicate to you via smoke signals

A vision of Bush's future America :

http://www.english.upenn.edu/~traister/hbomb.gif

Yep, you are an idiot who can not even write in english!
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 01:34 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
And I say the dumbest war in history was the Spanish-American War.

Ted Turner's opinions are no more valid than mine. Or yours. Or Woiyo's. Or anyone else's. So what's the point?

Ted Turner's opinion carries more weight than the average person. It is astounding that anyone would think otherwise.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 01:37 pm
Ah, come on. I've been withholding my opinion on this war waiting on f4f to post what Marissa Hargitay thinks of it. Then I'll know what I should also think of the war. (My wife is waiting on Clint Eastwood's opinion in order to make up her mind)

So please, maybe we should dissuade him quite yet.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 01:41 pm
Damn Ted Turner for stealing all of my best lines!

Except for the bit about $1 billion for the UN... I can't quite swing that.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 01:43 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
Ted Turner's opinions are no more valid than mine...
I disagree, I think Turner knows more about the world than you do. I think he can see things more clearly than you do. I give more weight to his opinions than I do to yours. No offense Rat, but if your opinions were as interesting or profound as his, you wouldnt be one.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 01:44 pm
woiyo wrote:

Yep, you are an idiot who can not even write in english!

Thank you... Mr turd! .
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 02:08 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:
I disagree, I think Turner knows more about the world than you do. I think he can see things more clearly than you do. I give more weight to his opinions than I do to yours. No offense Rat, but if your opinions were as interesting or profound as his, you wouldnt be one.

First, and I mean this in the nicest of ways, you cannot with any honesty make the statements you made. You do not know me anymore than you know Ted Turner. Thus, you have no basis whatsoever to form an opinion as to who knows more than who or who can see things more clearly than who.

Turner is/was a businessman. A highly successful one at that. That does not necessarily give him any special insight into anything. I get really ticked when people give great credence to the opinions of celebrities just because they are celebrities.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 02:10 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Damn Ted Turner for stealing all of my best lines!

Except for the bit about $1 billion for the UN... I can't quite swing that.

Sorry Drew, but Ted knows better than the rest of us, so you might as well swing into line with his $1 billion for the UN deal. It's been decided. Ted has spoken.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 02:15 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
...First, and I mean this in the nicest of ways, you cannot with any honesty make the statements you made. ...
but I just did mr Rodent.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 02:19 pm
Ted Turner is a putz.

What the War of Jenkin's Ear? Huh? Turner never even heard of it. What about the Wars of the Roses--now there's stupid for ya. Or the War of the Bavarian Succession--Hell, nobody even got killed.

Turner is no oracle on history.

Iraq may prove to be the most disasterous, dimwitted miliatary adventurism in which we have ever engaged, but that doesn't make it the stupidest war in history. It's a toss-up who is "brighter," Turner, or his erstwhile squeeze, Jane Fonda.

You want stupid war and Americans? Try the Aroostook War.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 02:20 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:

First, and I mean this in the nicest of ways, you cannot with any honesty make the statements you made. You do not know me anymore than you know Ted Turner. Thus, you have no basis whatsoever to form an opinion as to who knows more than who or who can see things more clearly than who.

Turner is/was a businessman. A highly successful one at that. That does not necessarily give him any special insight into anything. I get really ticked when people give great credence to the opinions of celebrities just because they are celebrities.

pssssst! You're a clown!
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 02:21 pm
True, you did. Not that what you said holds any weight whatsoever and has any basis in fact. But that shouldn't surprise me. That happens a lot here on A2K with many of us. Even myself sometimes I am sure.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 02:27 pm
never mind aquatic rat like rodent person

of course I dont know you.

and you are as entitled to your opinion as G W Bush is to his.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 02:43 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
Ah, come on. I've been withholding my opinion on this war waiting on f4f to post what Marissa Hargitay thinks of it. Then I'll know what I should also think of the war. (My wife is waiting on Clint Eastwood's opinion in order to make up her mind)

So please, maybe we should dissuade him quite yet.

And let's hear it from Jane Fonda, too.
0 Replies