I'm So !@#$%^&*() Annoyed

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 10:30 am
My disabled son receives SSI and medicaid. Before I get any sucking off the government teat comments this is a boy who is truly disabled.

We moved and I jumped through all the hoops to get his check and medicaid card forwarded. The local social services people have to get the info from the Social Security Administration to make the change. Last time we moved it took them 7 months and so I had to go to Social Services and stand in line first of evry month for 90 minutes to get his card and spent God knows how many hours on different phones with different agencies to get it straight.

So now that we've moved again I got on top of this immediately and Social Security sent the info to the local Social services office in a timely manner. So no problem right? Wrong. Turns out they abbreviated Lane La instead of Ln and so no forwarded check I shite you not.

Apparently we can't find a 6'5" arab terrorist dragging a dialysis machine but we can stop a disabled persons check because on abbreviations we're really on top of things in this great country of ours.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 975 • Replies: 21
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 10:34 am
We have become a nation of technicalities.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 10:39 am
Ah, bureaucracies. They're all alike, and the larger their clientele, the more frustrating they can be. If you think U.S. bueraucracy is bad, try almost any of the other large industrialized nations, or those countries were the government really, really tries to control every aspect of an individuals life. Imagine the bureaucracy in the DPRK, where they can shoot you for complaining about life in the Worker's Paradise.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 10:39 am
Re: I'm So !@#$%^&*() Annoyed
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
So now that we've moved again I got on top of this immediately and Social Security sent the info to the local Social services office in a timely manner. So no problem right? Wrong. Turns out they abbreviated Lane La instead of Ln and so no forwarded check I shite you not.

Where (what office) did the forwarding break down? Was it the Post Office that wouldn't forward it or SS?

Just stupid...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 10:42 am
oh man....I feel for you man....really.

that **** sucks.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 10:46 am
Re: I'm So !@#$%^&*() Annoyed
fishin wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Where (what office) did the forwarding break down? Was it the Post Office that wouldn't forward it or SS?

Just stupid...

this is the government... you don't surely think anyone is accepting responsibility or taking accountability for this do you?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 10:47 am
Asherman wrote:
Ah, bureaucracies. They're all alike, and the larger their clientele, the more frustrating they can be. If you think U.S. bueraucracy is bad, try almost any of the other large industrialized nations, or those countries were the government really, really tries to control every aspect of an individuals life. Imagine the bureaucracy in the DPRK, where they can shoot you for complaining about life in the Worker's Paradise.

I didn't say we had the worst system.... just that this one sucks... albeit less than others....
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 06:44 pm
Asherman wrote:

You do yourself a great disservice, Asherman, being such a butt licking apologist. I can almsot see you in leathers, with a choke chain. It clearly points up that you can never be trusted to give any kind of accurate appraisal about anything USA.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 07:01 pm
Two words, address standardization. Our own post office came up with it, surely they can use it in other departments. They have software that can do it for you. Most DMVs use it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 07:10 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Two words, address standardization. Our own post office came up with it, surely they can use it in other departments. They have software that can do it for you. Most DMVs use it.

That would require actually being interested in your clients.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 07:39 am
I wish I could offer great advice, Bear, but all I can offer is sympathy.

I have a disabled son also. At times, the system has operated
wonderfully. It really has. But at other times, it has left us in
head-pounding frustration.

Good luck, bro.
Give the kiddo a hug from me.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 08:10 am
Bear
Bear, I receive my social security check direct-desposit to my checking account. Do you have that option for your son's check instead of having it mailed?

BBB
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 08:15 am
George wrote:

Good luck, bro.

Teat-sucker.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 08:27 am
DrewDad wrote:
George wrote:

Good luck, bro.

Teat-sucker.

Pfffbbtt!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 08:46 am
Well I got everything straightened out, and just let me say when one gets by the beaurocracy and the automated answering service ( the person who invented that should be forced to perform analingus on Hitler for all eternity) and gets to an actual human being, they are 9 times out of 10 helpful and concerned people.

There was more than one issue to deal with.

1. the address problem. They had Stephen cub's address abbreviated LA for Lane instead of LN. Straightened that out. But because the check actually comes to me on his behalf and they neglected to change the zip code on my address (otherwise identical to Stephens) that apparently was a source of much confusion. Rolling Eyes Got that straightened out, so MAYBE his checks and medicaid card will come to the right place. We'll see in two weeks.

2. they reduced his payment. because he worked for me part time in 2002 when my events company was still in swing and because I gave him a W2 even though it was less than 600.00 and I wasn't required to, they have averaged that out to a 15 CENT a month income, which lowers his payment. I got that straightened out and informed them that it was a dissolved corporation that hadn't existed in quite some time.

Because our monthly home payment rose 175.00 a month when we moved, EVEN THOUGH STEPHEN PAYS RENT..... they have pro rated his percentage of the total amount monthly and decided to deduct a certain amount of money from his check because his shelter value is now higher. The fact that he is in the same size room with no greater amenities or benefits in the new house means nothing except that he will now have 50.00 a month less in his pocket. And before I hear any flack about that... just because a person is disabled doesn't mean they shouldn't have a little discretionary money. People who face a "regular" world with "irregular" problems every day work harder than us "normal" folks just to get through the day with some dignity and usually do it more cheerfully than the rest of us.

I know that we have a better system than other people around the world and I am grateful that a person like my son has a safety net and I don't mind part of my taxes being earmarked for him and people like him. I also realize that the world is full of people who take advantage of these systems whether they need the assistance or not and that strains the system and is wrong and these people are real scumbags, but THAT'S NOT EVERYONE WHO NEEDS ASSISTANCE!!!!!

Anyway, it's all taken care of now hopefully, and the girl I finally got a hold of was VERY helpful and courteous as most people in these positions are if you treat them respectfully and make them understand your frustration is not directed towards them personally.

It is my opinion that every person on earth who looks askew at those on the "government dole" and thinks they can fix it by merely getting off their lazy a$$es and going to work should spend a little time at least once in their lives needing assistance just to get by and then they might realize that when you are merely trying to get help covering the basics that's a full time job in itself. If a person has 8 hours in a day to either look for work or stand in line all day just to get some milk and cereal for their family and keep the heat on, I assure you they will choose to stand in line. Anyone would. Allowing that some people do choose to merely work that system and I agree that they are scumbags.

I'm no thoughtful prince, but having a child that has caused me by necessity to go through many processes to be certain he gets all the help possible to lead as normal and dignified a life as possible has given me a greater empathy for those in need through no fault of their own than the average person.

And that does NOT make me special, because as his father that's what the hell I'm supposed to do. Many others do the same every day.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 09:06 am
DrewDad wrote:
George wrote:

Good luck, bro.

Teat-sucker.

Whoops! I quoted the wrong message... That was supposed to be for BBB.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 09:08 am
DrewDad wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
George wrote:

Good luck, bro.

Teat-sucker.

I stand by my raspberry.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 09:09 am
Drew
DrewDad wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
George wrote:

Good luck, bro.

Teat-sucker.

Well, OK, but I waited until I was 72 to retire and draw social security, so I'm a late teat sucker.

BBB
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 09:39 am
Re: Drew
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
George wrote:

Good luck, bro.

Teat-sucker.

Well, OK, but I waited until I was 72 to retire and draw social security, so I'm a late teat sucker.

BBB

I've been sucking as many teats as possible for 57 years....not sure what that makes me....
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 09:48 am
Re: Drew
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
George wrote:

Good luck, bro.

Teat-sucker.

BBB

I've been sucking as many teats as possible for 57 years....not sure what that makes me....

Certainly not lactose-intolerant.
0 Replies