The Beautiful Adirondacks

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 08:26 pm
I just got back from a day in the Adirondacks. It was a perfect day, sunny, about 72 degrees with a slight breeze, and the trees have begun to change into their beautiful reds, oranges, and yellows. I took a brisk swim in Long Lake and sat in the sun, admiring the breathtaking, mountainous landscape. It was completely serene and I found myself longing for a simpler, more humble life. I often forget how fortunate I am to live so close to one of the most beautiful places on earth.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,064 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 08:31 pm
You are indeed fortunate to live near/in the Adirondacks.
Lovely lovely area.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 08:48 pm
ehBeth wrote:
You are indeed fortunate to live near/in the Adirondacks.
Lovely lovely area.

Thank you. I take it you've been there??

I am even more fortunate in the fact that my family owns a camp there. I realize that many people don't have this luxury. My grandfather (God rest his soul) bought the lakefront property with about 20 acres of land back in the '50's for $6,000!!!!!! Can you believe that?? Anyway, it is a beautiful place indeed, and I would urge anyone who appreciates nature's beauty to visit.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 08:51 pm
I grew up where the St. Lawrence meets Lake Ontario - on the north side :wink:

Lots of trips to, and through the Adirondacks, usually with hamburger at the wheel of a Volkswagen Beetle. He's got itchy feet.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 09:02 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I grew up where the St. Lawrence meets Lake Ontario - on the north side :wink:

Lots of trips to, and through the Adirondacks, usually with hamburger at the wheel of a Volkswagen Beetle. He's got itchy feet.

Ah, Canada. I've spent one night in Montreal, but that's the extent of my experience with our neighbor to the north. I'm sure it is equally beautiful there. Those winters must have been brutal though.....

BTW, I'm from Albany.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 10:08 pm
Winters in Albany are brutal too....

I've been to Lake George, canoed around there, and it is truly a
beautiful area. Unfortunately, I've never made it there in autumn -
the color changes must be breathtaking.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 06:24 am
The Adirondacks are indeed lovely. Lake Placid is one of my favorite spots, as is Lake George. I'm from the other side of Lake Champlain and woke up every morning to a view of the Adirondacks to the west and the Green Mountains to the east. Heaven on earth!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 06:49 am
The Adirondacks as seen from Burlington.

http://www.uvm.edu/admissions/undergraduate/why/gallery/images/surrounding5.jpg
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 07:06 am
CalamityJane wrote:
Winters in Albany are brutal too....

I've been to Lake George, canoed around there, and it is truly a
beautiful area. Unfortunately, I've never made it there in autumn -
the color changes must be breathtaking.

Lake George is nice, although I find it too crowded and commercialized these days.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 07:08 am
JPB wrote:
The Adirondacks are indeed lovely. Lake Placid is one of my favorite spots, as is Lake George. I'm from the other side of Lake Champlain and woke up every morning to a view of the Adirondacks to the west and the Green Mountains to the east. Heaven on earth!

I went to Lake Placid for my honeymoon last year. It is very nice there.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 11:10 am
Atavistic wrote:
I'm sure it is equally beautiful there. Those winters must have been brutal though.....

BTW, I'm from Albany.

It is lovely in the St. Lawrence Seaway/Ottawa Valley area.

My memories of the worst winters in Kingston involve our snowplows going over the Thousand Islands Bridge to help out in Watertown - the lake effect snow is much worse on the south side of Lake Ontario.

Albany. Some beautiful areas near there, but also some of the worst driving memories I've got <shudder>.
0 Replies

Atavistic

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 01:23 pm
ehBeth wrote:

Albany. Some beautiful areas near there, but also some of the worst driving memories I've got <shudder>.

Really? I've never thought of Albany as having bad traffic or anything like that. It's a pretty small city.
0 Replies