Not bird nor plane nor even frog....

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 10:56 am
.... just little old me, underdog boomerang who can't find a good raincoat for Mo that doesn't require him to be dressed up like a bee or a frog or a fireman or a dinosaur or something.

I wag the finger of blame at the photographer Anne Geddes for turning all children's outerwear into costumes.

Stop the insanity!

Trying to buy kids clothing that doesn't have:

A cartoon or movie tie in

A logo

Some cutsy little nonsense

Some sarcastic or sexual remark

is darn near impossible!

I'm mad as hell and I don't want to take it anymore.

Where oh where does one shop for sensible clothes for kids? Something that doesn't turn them into a marketing tool or a billboard or is just so cutsy-wootsy that it makes you want to kill somebody?

Aaaarrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh!

Sorry for the rant but it had to be said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,500 • Replies: 16
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:02 am
Old Navy?

Not that I get to buy much for the girls there....

We've taken to buying boy's jeans in order to have something that doesn't have to be matchy-matchy.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:03 am
REI?

I like 'em for sensible outdoorsy stuff. Good sales, but kinda pricey when it's not a sale.

I know what you mean about too too cutesy wootsy.

This is a new find, got some stuff for sozlet there, good quality + straightforward with some interesting (but not too cutesy) stuff:

http://www.bodenusa.com/c.asp?segid=5&segname=Mini&gen=2
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:10 am
Re: Not bird nor plane nor even frog....
boomerang wrote:

I wag the finger of blame at the photographer Anne Geddes for turning all children's outerwear into costumes.

Anne Geddes is the antichrist, some of those pictures are demonic, and the rest are just nauseating
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:13 am
REI kid's rainjacket, $34
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:16 am
Thank you! I feel my blood pressure droping already.

I've looked at Land's End and at LL Bean were much too heavy for the kind of winters we have here.

I do shop at the Gap - isn't that the Old Navy mothership? So far this year they don't have raincoats.

REI here has a lousy kids section - basically nonexistant.

I'll be sure to check out your link, soz.

Honestly, I'm just baffled. All I want is a raincoat with a zip out lining. Is that asking too much?

I can't even begin to imagine how anyone deals with the girl's clothing sections.

Some of Anne Geddes pictures are lovely and simple and elegant but anymore you really have to seek them out or get in the way-back machine. Ever since she started dressing kids up like peas and bananas and flowers life has been unbearable.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:19 am
Gap is the Old Navy mothership, but Old Navy tends towards a little less cutesy (well, depends) and is cheaper. Seems to have a wider selection, too.

Zip-out lining, will look for that. I only order from REI online, no stores around here. Good online kid's selection.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 11:27 am
Found this, a bit pricey though.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 01:38 pm
One hundred and thirty dollars for a seasonal garment for a growing boy "a bit pricey"?

I think I agree with you.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 01:45 pm
I never bother with the zip-out stuff -- we get a fleece thingie, and a raincoat or waterproof shell, and wear them together or separately. (Then have a good down coat for winter-winter, just got ours in the mail from the Gap, very happy with it.)

Boy's fleece thingies are currently about $12 at Old Navy.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 01:46 pm
Cabela's Poncho. $5.95
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 01:50 pm
Sozlet needs something rainproof that covers undersides too (under arms for example) or she still gets soaked. She has a hard time just tamely walking in the rain and letting raindrops slide off when there are puddles just begging to be stomped on.

We have a hand-me-down raincoat that still fits, and fleece thingies too, otherwise I'd probably go with the REI raincoat/ Old Navy fleece thingie combo ($46, not including shipping).

Old Navy had some decent-looking shells, too, didn't look quite waterproof enough to me though.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 01:55 pm
Not with any sort of zip out liner, but a basic rain coat at JC Penney for $18.
http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?DeptID=327&CatID=30669&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=SIZ&ItemID=0b27bf8&ProdSeq=2&ProdCount=5&Dep=kids%27+%2b+baby&RefPage=SearchDepartment&ShowMenu=T&ShopBy=0&SearchString=rain+coat&S4DeptID=327&CmCatId=SearchResults|SearchDepartment
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 09:40 am
Hey thanks people!

REI is just right down the street so I may have to stop by for a look.

It's weird but I never think of JC Penny's for shopping and that coat looks just about right. Best of all, it comes in green! At that price I'd be willing to forgo the zip out lining too. I'm definately going to have a look at that.

They're predicting a mild but wet winter here so maybe the lining won't be that big a deal. I hate having to layer stuff on. For Mo, its just more stuff to lose.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 11:08 am
I love JC Penney for kids clothes. My older daughter is very thin and has a difficult time finding clothes to fit her - Penney's has slims and also many stretchy and sweat type outfits that fit her well and they are usually pretty cheap.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 11:17 am
I'm going to have to go there.

Mo's grandma took him back to school shopping there and bought him some very nice things.

I don't know why I never think of them. I'm not a big mall goer and not a big department store goer so I guess they just fell off my radar.

Thanks for the reminder, Linkat.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 06:38 pm
Probably 80% of our cloths come from Penneys, and they have a decent catalog/online selection.
0 Replies