And now for something completely difficult ... Monty Python

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 05:35 am
Quote:
And now for something completely difficult ...

Three decades after the Monty Python team made the silliest film ever, it's been reborn as a hit musical. And it's even got the killer rabbit! As Spamalot prepares to open in London, Eric Idle tells Dave Eggers why this was something he had to get right

Wednesday September 13, 2006
The Guardian

Its colour reminds one of lightly tanned Caucasian flesh, or putty. Its foundation is teak, stained luxuriously. Its body is segmented, much in the way of certain insects, or most couches. In fact, it resembles in many ways a small modular love seat, or a praying mantis. On its upper extremities rests a modest matching pillow, rectangular and leather-enclosed, awaiting a human head. It is a comfortable-seeming thing, flexible without being adjustable, giving without being pliant.
"This is the chair," Eric Idle said. Almost two years ago, on a bright October day in Los Angeles, Idle stood above the chair, looking down on it. The chair was empty because Idle was standing.

"Yes, this is the one," Idle reiterated. This was the chair in which the first pages, and the pages in the middle, and, later on, the last pages of Spamalot, the musical-comedy adaptation of the film Monty Python and the Holy Grail, were written.

Above both Idle and the chair, questions hovered. Was Idle anxious? Nervous? Sick to his stomach? After all, in a few days he would fly to New York, where rehearsals of Spamalot - an $11m (£6m) production starring Hank Azaria (of The Simpsons and Huff), Tim Curry (of The Rocky Horror Picture Show) and David Hyde Pierce (the Emmy-winning co-star of Frasier) - were to begin, under the guidance of Mike Nichols, director of The Graduate and winner of Tonys, Oscars and Emmys. Was Idle wishing he were working with a more experienced cast, a more seasoned director? The musical would begin previews in Chicago on December 21, and move to Broadway in February. That much was certain. But the unknowns persisted. Would Broadway audiences take to the Pythons' particular brand of humour? Would they be able to understand all the words, if spoken with accents - one of them French? And, perhaps most important: could a low-budget film, wherein King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table pretend to ride horses with the aid of pages knocking coconuts together, be adapted for the stage, 30 years later, with the world at war?
Idle looked at the chair, but on that day the chair offered no answers.

Now it is 2006, and much has changed, though more has not changed. That is, more things have remained the same than have changed. Or maybe it's 50:50, in terms of the relationship between the changed and the unchanged. On the one hand, all of our lives, particularly in Britain and America, are far more fraught with danger and paranoia than two years ago. On the other hand, the war mentioned above, surprisingly enough given such planning, is still going on, and is going badly. Questions about the conflict linger, but thankfully, many of the questions posed to Idle and his chair two years ago have now been answered. We now know that Broadway audiences did, in fact, take to the musical adaptation of possibly the silliest film ever made, so much so that the show has been sold out for two years running and Spamalot won six or 12 Tonys and some other awards with names less Italian. There is a touring version currently in Toronto; in March it will open in Las Vegas; and next autumn in Australia.

In a few weeks, the musical will burst forth in London, and Idle, bathing in accolades and cash, was not nervous. How will British audiences react, he was asked, to this musical conceived in Los Angeles and staged in New York?

"I think they will laugh," he says.

It is difficult to know exactly what Idle means, but for the sake of argument, let's take him at his word. Perhaps he means just that: that people will laugh. It seems likely enough. After all, Idle's confidence in the show has been steady since its conception. "I knew it was funny and therefore virtually unstoppable but I never foresaw a Tony for best musical or such a worldwide hit. I did know, of course, that through box-office grosses or some kind of sexual harassment lawsuit, I would be rich."

Let's rewind a bit. Spamalot is indeed unstoppable, so much so that it has already been banned in Malaysia, where there had been no plans to stage it. It is a juggernaut and a phenomenon and even, some say, an event. To understand it better, though, one must observe its creator in his home, and to do so, we should return to October of 2004, to Los Angeles, a part of California known for its roads and stores accessible by road.

story continues in today's The Guardian
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,012 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 05:35 am
http://i5.tinypic.com/3yga9lg.jpg

Pic from The Guardian's print version, pages 48-49
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 05:58 am
wherein King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table pretend to ride horses with the aid of pages knocking coconuts together

(had me laughing aloud)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 06:01 am
I believe Spamalot has already opened in Toronto. At any event, they are on about it on the radio with ads that tell people what they can do in Toronto in connection with Spamalot. I'll bet Walter, master of the timely link, can enlighten us about it.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 06:34 am
I thought it was already open in the USA (NY?) and had been running for quite a while.

Wherever it is/was, it's been getting rave reviews.

Apparently, the songs are very funny, and totally take the pee out of the Andrew Lloyd Webber style of musical.

I'll try to find a link.....
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 06:38 am
Here's the funniest song.

Typical love song a la Webber.....man and woman on stage, looking balefully into each other's eyes. Over the top sincerity, as they sing.....

THE SONG THAT GOES LIKE THIS.

Once in every show
There comes a song like this
It starts off soft and low
And ends up with a kiss
Oh where is the song
That goes like this?
Where is it? Where? Where?

A sentimental song
That casts a magic spell
They all will hum along
We'll overact like hell
For this is the song that goes like this
Yes it is! Yes it is!

Now we can go straight
Right down the middle eight
A bridge that is too far for me

I'll sing it in your face
While we both embrace
And then
We change
The key

Now we're into E!
*hem* That's awfully high for me
But as everyone can see
We should have stayed in D
For this is our song that goes like this!

I'm feeling very proud
You're singing far too loud
That's the way that this song goes
You're standing on my toes
Singing our song that goes like this!

I can't believe there's more
It's far too long, I'm sure
That's the trouble with this song
It goes on and on and on
For this is our song that is too long!

We'll be singing this til dawn
You'll wish that you weren't born
Let's stop this damn refrain
Before we go insane
For this is our song that ends like this!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 07:03 am
Spamalot opened in New York 3/17/05 and is still running strong.

It looks like the tour dates in Toronto ended last Sunday.
http://www.torontolife.com/guide/arts-and-entertainment/theatre/monty-pythons-spamalot/
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 05:48 pm
I saw it in Boston and while I enjoyed it, I thought it could have been better - for the price of the tickets.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 06:10 pm
spamalot will open soon In "the cultural capital of the universe" (Melbourne Australia) I'm hoping to see it.
0 Replies