Which Do You Fear?

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 10:22 am
Can't tell you how happy I am to hear others of like mind on this. Thanks Setanta and Patiodog.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 10:29 am
Well, frankly, Frank, I see more of ecological value in Buddhism than I do in the so-called Western religions. As to the practitioners of each religion -- well, they're all just people, and as prone to inaction and pontification as anyone on this board (for surely we could all be doing something of greater value right now).
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 10:44 am
Patiodog

You mean there is something of greater value than sitting around calling each other names???? (smiles)

Yer right -- and when I included your name in that remark, I recognized that your comment was not as unequivocal as was Setanta's.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 11:17 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
You mean there is something of greater value than sitting around calling each other names???? (smiles)

I've been told there is, but it might just be insidious propaganda put forth by the self-interested good samaritans...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
Have you settled on a dogatar now, set?
0 Replies

Rae

Forgive me ~ all I've read so far is BPB's original question.

I don't fear death, but I do fear how it will come to me. Since my son was born, I've learned how to be brave, but some things still scare me.

I will say that to some extent, I live my life with my 'death-fears' in mind. I don't think my life is suffering any from those fears ~ there are just some things I don't want to do.

My Dad, gawdlovehim, has a great story about his death.

He is a naturally gloomy person, but has such a great sense of humour.

His death will be as follows.....

He will live long enough to collect all of his pension from the New York City Police Department (and he's convinced that this is what keeps him going.....but I know that it's really me and my sister.....). One day, he'll be walking down the street and be struck by a garbage truck.

Being hit by a garbage truck won't be what kills him.

It'll be the infection he gets upon entering the hospital that's supposed to save his life that'll kill him.

Such is death in the eyes of my Dad. The Great One.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Joe Nation wrote:

When we watched on tv the bodies falling from the towers, someone asked how could they do that? I said they were brokers, they estimated the risks of burning or falling and they took the sure thing. If it presents itself, so will I

Joe, that's the way I've always wanted to go, if I knew that was my only real option. The rush of freefall would be the best way to finish this wonderful life.

I fall into the camp of "when I die, I rot". I believe that whether I am happy at death is dependent on the life I have led and the integrity thereof. i.e. if I've been true to myself, I should be existentially happy.

I am informed in the way I lead my life by religions and philosophies (especially Buddhism) but I can't believe in an afterlife. Sometimes I use the analogue of "former lives" to indicate a fundamental instinct or familiarity, but that's all I mean by it.

In fact, I think the connection between all of us and the rest of the universe is purely down to the interaction of mass and energy and the interchangeable nature of these two properties...but that's the former scientist in me talking.

I'm happy with life and when it is drawing to an end, I may feel that I'll miss it. But I won't - because I won't exist any more as a consicous being.

Back to the original question. I fear dying in a horrible way. I fear that my death will cause suffering in others who care about me (though I wish they'd celebrate what a wonderful time I've had - even if I die today). I don't fear what happens beyond death...I'll just be rotting meat (unless I have bits transplanted to others - that's something to hope for)!
0 Replies

Setanta

Thanks for that, Pete, you've been most economically eloquent . . .
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Damn; I was just about to make the most brilliant, insightfull comment, but decided to go and do something infinitely more important instead; bye.

Kind of "Zenish", eh?
0 Replies

SkisOnFire

Navel gazers have an excellent view
as long as they are fat.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 05:57 pm
Mebbe . . . mebbe not . . .

(And i have no more respect for Mother Theresa than i do Baba Rum Raisin . . . )
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 07:51 pm
truth
Patiodog and Kitchenpete, Very Happy
Navel Gazer
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 08:01 pm
death is not the most tragic loss in life, the most tragic loss is what dies inside of you while living.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 09:26 pm
That is profound, dys.
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 10:47 pm
I am a afraid of spiders and snakes, and heights. I am afraid of being hurt by someone I love. I am afraid no one every loving me. Everything else is chopped liver. I am afraid of feeling pain.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 07:42 am
dov..; it pains me to say this, and I mean only to help in saying you do not fear death, you fear life!

And start with spiders, they are one of your best friends; spiders are predators, and quite magnificent if you look closely, but, if you have a good supply of spiders (and house centipedes) in your home, you won't likely have any insect "pest" problems!

Then work your way into "trying" the rest - you really can't lose;
you only lose by not trying.

Life is "painful", enjoy!! Laughing
0 Replies

trixabell

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 01:04 pm
raaaaa raaa raaaaa raaaa raaaaaa....everything fears death, tis one of the basic rules of survival - if ur not gonna run away from it then how the hell are ur instincts gonna keep u alive....i dont care how philisophical you want to be about it - its a simple case of psychology...okay, maybe its somewhat expanded by the fact that its such a taboo subject in our culture but when we get down to the basics...everything fears death
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 01:42 pm
Death is the one thing I do not fear and I consider that a blessing. I agree with Dys to alive and dead at the same time is hell.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 03:12 pm
truth
Wise advice, again, BoGoWo--from a former arachnaphobe.
Trixabell: "everything fears death, tis one of the basis rules [sic] of survival." This is true, but it would be interesting to speculate on just what it is that animals fear when thet fly away or run away from something threatening. It cannot be death itself. They cannot have any concept of death. But they are clearly hardwired to behave AS IF they feared death. I would love to enter their minds and experience their fear. Is it like a startle effect? We really can't know. We CAN speculate, however, that they are programmed to respond with an adrenaline rush and flight to some kinds of sensations which preceded the death of their ancient ancestors. These sensations eventually evolved into triggers for flight by descendants.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 03:29 pm
I am not sure that "survival instinct" necessarily indicates fear of death. Personally, I am much more afraid of mundane things like being audited, because then my life would become a living hell. I would take dead over living hell any day.
0 Replies