0
   

Which religion suits me?

 
 
Eorl
 
Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 09:28 pm
I hear people say that they find a religion that fits with the things they believe.

To me, that is the most obvious clue that you are deluding yourself.

You would think that if a religion was the "truth", then you'd just have to accept the bits that didn't fit with what you thought was right...... wouldn't you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,121 • Replies: 84
No top replies

 
littlek
 
  1  
Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 09:34 pm
Or, I suppose, you could believe there is one true god and view different religions as different ways to bring yourself into that one god's view.
0 Replies
 
roger
 
  1  
Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 09:53 pm
Try Reformed Agnostic, Eorl.

I might be able to get you into the Unitarian Jihad, by the way.
0 Replies
 
echi
 
  1  
Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 10:06 pm
I assume that most people are born into their religion. The ones who choose it probably fit what littlek described. (But, I doubt that makes them any less diluted!)
0 Replies
 
Doktor S
 
  1  
Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 10:57 pm
Re: Which religion suits me?
Eorl wrote:
I hear people say that they find a religion that fits with the things they believe.

To me, that is the most obvious clue that you are deluding yourself.

You would think that if a religion was the "truth", then you'd just have to accept the bits that didn't fit with what you thought was right...... wouldn't you?

Unless, of course, the religion was centered around you. Then you would have the freedom to decide for yourself about the bits and pieces.
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:47 pm
Re: Which religion suits me?
Eorl wrote:
I hear people say that they find a religion that fits with the things they believe.

To me, that is the most obvious clue that you are deluding yourself.

You would think that if a religion was the "truth", then you'd just have to accept the bits that didn't fit with what you thought was right...... wouldn't you?
Either that, or be willing to accept the consequence of ignoring truth.
0 Replies
 
EpiNirvana
 
  1  
Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 04:29 pm
Re: Which religion suits me?
Eorl wrote:
I hear people say that they find a religion that fits with the things they believe.

To me, that is the most obvious clue that you are deluding yourself.

You would think that if a religion was the "truth", then you'd just have to accept the bits that didn't fit with what you thought was right...... wouldn't you?


I cant stand that! You should be in a relgion b/c you believe its truth, not b/c its a fad or you like the social life. Religion is not high school folks!
0 Replies
 
Eorl
 
  1  
Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 09:12 pm
Epi, how does that work?

You aren't born with any religion at all....you are taught at some point these things are true by someone you trust...usually parents.
0 Replies
 
muslim1
 
  1  
Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 08:24 am
Eorl wrote:
You aren't born with any religion at all....you are taught at some point these things are true by someone you trust...usually parents.

I believe that every person (including you) is born Muslim. Remember, Eorl, that "Islam" means "submission". There are two types of submission: physical and spiritual.

I think you will agree that every person on earth submits to the physical laws made by God. Everyone eats, sleeps, needs oxygen, grows, dies... So everyone is somehow Muslim (which is the Arabic word for "submissive") in relation with the physical laws.

Just like every human being is born "physically submissive", he/she is also born "spiritually submissive". In other words, just as the child submits to the physical laws which Allah (God) has put in nature, his soul also submits naturally to the fact that Allah is his Lord and Creator. But, his parents (as you mentioned) try to make him follow their own way and the child is not strong enough in the early stages of his life to resist or oppose the will of his parents.

But when I say that a child is born Muslim, this does not mean he knows from the beginning of his life how to pray, how to fast Ramadan, how to perform the Pilgrimage... The submission of a child means he naturally knows that he has a Creator. If there is no external pressure from his parents and social surrounding, he will be brought up submissive and believer in Allah. He can then learn the details of the religion (Prayer, Fasting, Pilgrimage, Jihad...) from the teachings of the Messengers of Allah.

On this issue, The Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him) reported that Allah says, "I created my servants in the right religion but devils made them go astray". The Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him) also said, "Each child is born in a state of "Fitrah"(1), then his parents make him a Jew, Christian or a Zoroastrian, the way an animal gives birth to a normal offspring. Have you noticed any that were born mutilated?"



(1) :Fitrah means "state of innate goodness", "natural state of purity". "Religion of Fitrah" is equivalent to "Islam".
0 Replies
 
littlek
 
  1  
Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 08:28 am
muslim1 wrote:

I think you will agree that every person on earth submits to the physical laws made by God. Everyone eats, sleeps, needs oxygen, grows, dies... So everyone is somehow Muslim (which is the Arabic word for "submissive") in relation with the physical laws.



I for one can not agree with this statement for I don't believe that god exists. So he didn't, therefor, make any laws physical or otherwise.
0 Replies
 
jespah
 
  1  
Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 08:29 am
Or, you could be Jewish. We have big holidays coming up. On New Year's (9/23 this year), we all watch TV to see the big matzoh ball drop in Times Square.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 08:40 am
Re: Which religion suits me?
neologist wrote:
Eorl wrote:
I hear people say that they find a religion that fits with the things they believe.

To me, that is the most obvious clue that you are deluding yourself.

You would think that if a religion was the "truth", then you'd just have to accept the bits that didn't fit with what you thought was right...... wouldn't you?
Either that, or be willing to accept the consequence of ignoring truth.


Which of course, assumes that one were capable of ascertaining the truth. How's tricks, Boss? Did you have a good day yesterday?
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 08:56 am
Re: Which religion suits me?
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:
Eorl wrote:
I hear people say that they find a religion that fits with the things they believe.

To me, that is the most obvious clue that you are deluding yourself.

You would think that if a religion was the "truth", then you'd just have to accept the bits that didn't fit with what you thought was right...... wouldn't you?
Either that, or be willing to accept the consequence of ignoring truth.


Which of course, assumes that one were capable of ascertaining the truth. How's tricks, Boss? Did you have a good day yesterday?
For many, truth is like coffee. It must first be sweetened to taste. And yesterday was mostly regular; thank you.

Coffee is served.
0 Replies
 
A black man
 
  1  
Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 09:30 pm
buddhisms a good religion, try that....
0 Replies
 
real life
 
  1  
Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 10:34 pm
Re: Which religion suits me?
Eorl wrote:
I hear people say that they find a religion that fits with the things they believe.

To me, that is the most obvious clue that you are deluding yourself.


You are correct.

Eorl wrote:
You would think that if a religion was the "truth", then you'd just have to accept the bits that didn't fit with what you thought was right...... wouldn't you?


Yep that's the way it works.

For example, the Bible teaches that all have sinned. That goes against the grain of human nature, because we all naturally like to justify what we have done. Others may not have been right to do it, but somehow when we do the very same thing we have a justification for it, don't we?

That's one of the reasons that Biblical theology cannot be man-made.

No one would intentionally impose upon himself a religious standard that constantly condemned his own actions; especially if he knew all along it was of his own making.

-----------------------------------------

Also the Biblical history of the people of Israel cannot be man-made. Some have claimed it to be a 'self serving' account of pseudo history, but that is far from the case.

The Bible consistently paints the Israelites as stubborn, stiff necked, disobedient to God, undeserving of His care, unthankful for it also, idolatrous and sinful in spite of repeated admonishment and punishment, having to learn the same lesson over and over, weaker than their enemies and the cause of their own defeats at the hands of their neighbors and enemies. Their leaders are depicted as vacillating, sinful, duplicitous and vulgar. The common people are depicted as wayward and unspiritual and the priests as hypocritical, scheming, disobedient to the prophets, disregarding the Torah and poor leaders.

What man would have made up such a history that constantly brings out the worst side of his nation and the people who share the same faith as himself?

This problem is magnified, because even if one were to assert that one individual WOULD indeed be masochistic enough to devise such a religious standard or such a history, the Old Testament contains the writings of dozens of men over the course of many centuries , in various political climates and social arrangements; yet the same common themes throughout.
0 Replies
 
echi
 
  1  
Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 11:16 am
Re: Which religion suits me?
real life wrote:
No one would intentionally impose upon himself a religious standard that constantly condemned his own actions; especially if he knew all along it was of his own making.


I disagree. I'm sure there are plenty of atheists with low self-esteem. "Conscience" preceded religion.
0 Replies
 
echi
 
  1  
Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 11:26 am
A black man wrote:
buddhisms a good religion, try that....

I guess if I had to practice a religion I would go with Buddhism. But I have my doubts as to whether or not the Buddha really intended to establish a religion. For that matter, I kind of doubt Jesus did, as well.
0 Replies
 
woiyo
 
  1  
Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 11:36 am
muslim1 wrote:
Eorl wrote:
You aren't born with any religion at all....you are taught at some point these things are true by someone you trust...usually parents.

I believe that every person (including you) is born Muslim. Remember, Eorl, that "Islam" means "submission". There are two types of submission: physical and spiritual.

I think you will agree that every person on earth submits to the physical laws made by God. Everyone eats, sleeps, needs oxygen, grows, dies... So everyone is somehow Muslim (which is the Arabic word for "submissive") in relation with the physical laws.

Just like every human being is born "physically submissive", he/she is also born "spiritually submissive". In other words, just as the child submits to the physical laws which Allah (God) has put in nature, his soul also submits naturally to the fact that Allah is his Lord and Creator. But, his parents (as you mentioned) try to make him follow their own way and the child is not strong enough in the early stages of his life to resist or oppose the will of his parents.

But when I say that a child is born Muslim, this does not mean he knows from the beginning of his life how to pray, how to fast Ramadan, how to perform the Pilgrimage... The submission of a child means he naturally knows that he has a Creator. If there is no external pressure from his parents and social surrounding, he will be brought up submissive and believer in Allah. He can then learn the details of the religion (Prayer, Fasting, Pilgrimage, Jihad...) from the teachings of the Messengers of Allah.

On this issue, The Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him) reported that Allah says, "I created my servants in the right religion but devils made them go astray". The Prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him) also said, "Each child is born in a state of "Fitrah"(1), then his parents make him a Jew, Christian or a Zoroastrian, the way an animal gives birth to a normal offspring. Have you noticed any that were born mutilated?"



(1) :Fitrah means "state of innate goodness", "natural state of purity". "Religion of Fitrah" is equivalent to "Islam".


And this is what is wrong with your religion. You think YOU need to force it upon all people.

You are totally ignorant to the realities of nature and physics.

ALL RELIGION was created by Humans to explain the "uexplainable". Therefore, since humans created this fictional religion, it is inherently flawed.

Since bugs and birds and bees , breath, eat, sleep and duplicate, would you consider them Muslims? Of course not. They have no religion, so why should YOU have a religion?

You are supposed to be an intelligent being, correct? Yet, you can not even define WHAT your GOD IS!

ALL religions are conceptual in nature and none are right and none are wrong. They exist so human beings can somehow rationalize that they can not intelligently expain.

Imagine, NATURE is God.
0 Replies
 
Doktor S
 
  1  
Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 06:51 pm
Re: Which religion suits me?
real life wrote:


That's one of the reasons that Biblical theology cannot be man-made.

No one would intentionally impose upon himself a religious standard that constantly condemned his own actions; especially if he knew all along it was of his own making.


To the very gullible, this holds true.
But, consider this. Insuring that people remain in a state of guilt makes for some easily controllable people. Alongside of fear, guilt has powered your particular mythology from the beginning.
Having control of people means having control of peoples pockets.
What kind of car does your pastor drive RL?
0 Replies
 
Scott777ab
 
  1  
Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 08:25 pm
None.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

700 Inconsistencies in the Bible - Discussion by onevoice
Why do we deliberately fool ourselves? - Discussion by coincidence
Spirituality - Question by Miller
Oneness vs. Trinity - Discussion by Arella Mae
give you chills - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence for Evolution! - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence of God! - Discussion by Bartikus
One World Order?! - Discussion by Bartikus
God loves us all....!? - Discussion by Bartikus
The Preambles to Our States - Discussion by Charli
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Which religion suits me?
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 03/04/2021 at 01:51:29