Which religion suits me?

Baph

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 08:01 pm
My hand is hurting "snood" and it is Sooooo GOOD 2 see you "Eorl". I am an angry at the moment wiv people talking ****!!!!

I can't make up my mind what I want to do...

Maybe open up a converse RE-artificial intelligence...

Or maybe linguistics[?]

Maybe the history of the world[?]

jus' know I am here & I am SCREAMING with anger @alldasmallmindedpeeps......

Laughing

(smiling and waiting for an e-mail from a moderator - because I am ANGRY wid you guys right now)

When I talked about SATAN I waz (nt) messin'...

But that is a different story. As long as we keep this on a level that we can both deal with I don't have any problems.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 09:19 pm
snood wrote:

All he's said on this thread is that a non-religious person is not necessarily more objective than a Christian about Christianity.

Having had your non-arguments bared, are you gonna have the integrity to even acknowledge where you are clearly wrong, Eorl?

Nope, it hasn't been demonstrated to my satisfaction that I'm clearly wrong.

This is what I said:

Quote:
Kate, do you expect sufferers of schizophrenia to be the experts on schizophrenia?

One who suffers from it can provide insights into it's workings, but they couldn't be trusted to study it objectively.

...and I stand by it.

I wouldn't trust a child to be an expert on child psychology, I wouldn't trust a drug addict to be an expert on addiction, I wouldn't trust a fascist to be an expert on fascism, and I wouldn't trust a christian to be an expert on religion.

I would expect better results from people who are not subjects of the study itself....might be worth looking up the word "subjective"
0 Replies

Baph

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 09:04 am
Eorl wrote:
(I do think an atheist (or even better, an agnostic) would be more likely to be objective about Christianity, even if I am not....but that is NOT the point I'm making.)

Are we talking about the popular mis-interpretation of the word agnostic? (An individual who neither believes nor disbelieves)... OR are we talking about the gnostic religion? Which if I right in thinking was where the word originated from in the first instance...

It was historically the catholic religion that altered that perception... although again that is a topic of debate.

Although gnosticism has two extremes the same as any religion...

The thing that troubled me with that statement was how a follower of gnosticism could be subjective RE: Christianity. Rolling Eyes

I feel the religion that best suits any individual is the one they're most comfortable with. Although that can be taken to another extreme and we could argue it is the forces at work the influence the individual's happiness and life experience.

Either way the topic of "reigion" will always be a confusing issue.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 09:24 am
Baph wrote:
It was historically the catholic religion that altered that perception... although again that is a topic of debate.

You bet your pathetic ass it's a topic of debate.

The word agnostic was coined by Thomas Huxley in the 19th century, and his comment was that he had invented the word because he was a "man without a rag of a label to cover himself with"--and the word was first published in 1870.

You make up a lot of ****.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 10:19 am
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, BAPHle 'em with bullshit.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 10:24 am
Careful, Big Bird . . . he's "screaming with anger" . . . be careful, next thing you know, he'll be throwing handfuls of electrons at us . . .
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 10:36 am
My ... suddenly I'm all atremble ... oh waitaminit - that's this new Vibrasage Chair Cushion (As Seen On TV) - damned thing's got a timer I ain't figured out how to regulate yet. Gotta get on that.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 11:45 am
timber's got a Vibrasage Chair Cushion (As Seen On TV).

Do you get five year's supply of tissues with it or a wire brush?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 11:51 am
Nah, but it comes with a nifty over-the-arm-of-the-chair TV Remote holder thingy if you order in the next 24 hours.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 12:22 pm
Surely you can't use one of them when your eyeballs are rolling around and rotating in their sockets.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 12:53 pm
I understand its a learned skill - I'm workin' on it.
0 Replies

kiwimac

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 03:26 am
Zoroastrianism / Deism.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 04:17 am
before i answer such an important question may i ask you to say a few things about what you believe at this time?

do you think there is a God/gods?
do you believe in a heaven or hell?
how do feel about the theory of creation?
etc.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 01:39 pm
rockpie wrote:
before i answer such an important question may i ask you to say a few things about what you believe at this time?

do you think there is a God/gods?

Insufficient data to permit any informed, definitive conclusion, though indications strongly suggest against the proposition; no logical reason to suspect the proposition might be valid, likewise, no logical reason to dismiss it as impossible - by the evidence currently available it is merely a highly improbable proposition.

Quote:
do you believe in a heaven or hell?

See above.

Quote:
how do feel about the theory of creation?
etc.

Fascinating multi-cultural synthesis of ancient mythology, tradition, and superstition, the "etc." - the assembled body of Judaeo-Christian and Islamic scripture in general, the Abrahamic Mythopaeia - tinged with just enough history to beguile the uncritical.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 02:53 am
well i think that everything works far too well and is too ordered to simply be a cosmic accident, there is a designer whether it's God or some other entity. if you want proof of God, then all i can say is that you have to experience him. for example, a healing or prophesy being announced, usually in Church. i could talk and talk about how good a banana tastes to me, but until you eat one yourself you'll never know. compende?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 11:58 am
rockpie wrote:
well i think that everything works far too well and is too ordered to simply be a cosmic accident. . .

What accident? Who would be responsible for this "accident", anyway? If you want a reason for something, look and you will find it. But it seems you are not trying to find reasons. Instead, you're trying to have faith in an all-powerful God who, you hope, will protect you from Nature. (Of course, that's just my opinion.)
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 07:50 pm
rockpie wrote:
well i think that everything works far too well and is too ordered to simply be a cosmic accident, there is a designer whether it's God or some other entity. if you want proof of God, then all i can say is that you have to experience him. for example, a healing or prophesy being announced, usually in Church. i could talk and talk about how good a banana tastes to me, but until you eat one yourself you'll never know. compende?

What works far too well ?

There you are again with the argument from incredulity.

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CA/CA100.html
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 08:27 pm
Can't stand bananas. Not fond of lime sherbert or religion, either.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 08:46 pm
rockpie - I think they know what you mean, but can't simply acknowledge it without the snide witticisms. Makes it seem like you have a valid perspective, or something.

I don't talk much about how much I love "the taste of bananas", either.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 09:07 pm
snood wrote:
rockpie - I think they know what you mean, but can't simply acknowledge it without the snide witticisms.

rockpie,

Have you ever tried to hold back a sneeze?
0 Replies