Which religion suits me?

real life

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 12:23 am
Re: Which religion suits me?
Doktor S wrote:
real life wrote:

That's one of the reasons that Biblical theology cannot be man-made.

No one would intentionally impose upon himself a religious standard that constantly condemned his own actions; especially if he knew all along it was of his own making.

To the very gullible, this holds true.
But, consider this. Insuring that people remain in a state of guilt makes for some easily controllable people. Alongside of fear, guilt has powered your particular mythology from the beginning.
Having control of people means having control of peoples pockets.
What kind of car does your pastor drive RL?

If you were going to invent a religion (oh yeah I forgot, you did), well anyway would you set up a bunch of rules in it that you couldnt keep and declare that God will be very displeased if you dont keep them? No obviously you didnt. When you invented your religion you made it comfortable for you.

What does my pastor drive?

A Volkswagen. Why?

So youre stuck on money, eh?

OK a little background. We live in a county that is among the top 50 per capita income counties in the country.

But the pastor doesnt drive a Beamer, or a Caddy.

So what?

We dont even pass a collection plate at my church.

Theres a wooden box with a slot sitting on a table near the mens room. If people want to contribute to pay the light bill or the gas bill or whatever, they drop it in.

But I cant remember the last time money was preached about in my church. It just doesnt happen often. In the 10+ years Ive been there, it may have been 2 or 3 times.

The church gives away 30% of its income to missionaries or families in need. It also supports an orphanage overseas. Before we supported the orphanage, 90% of the kids there died before their first birthday. Now 90%+ live and are adopted out all over the world.

As for controlling people, youve got to be kidding. Youve obviously never been to my church. Its like herding cats.

No one can control them. They are the most independent bunch you can imagine in a church and we like it that way just fine.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 10:35 am
Quote:

If you were going to invent a religion (oh yeah I forgot, you did)

What religion did I supposedly invent?

Quote:

What does my pastor drive?

A Volkswagen. Why?

So youre stuck on money, eh?

His car, his house, paid for from the pockets of the gullible. Regardless, you totally ignored my actual point. (par for the course) I've shown a perfectly logical reason why christianity incorporates guilt and encourages self loathing, where you stated the only possible reason for this must incorporate the supernatural.
Your evidence is naught but smoke and mirrors.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 06:56 pm
Doktor S wrote:
real life wrote:

If you were going to invent a religion (oh yeah I forgot, you did)

What religion did I supposedly invent?

Your regard for yourself as god and your service of yourself as god certainly fit the definition of religion.

Doktor S wrote:
I've shown a perfectly logical reason why christianity incorporates guilt and encourages self loathing, where you stated the only possible reason for this must incorporate the supernatural.
Your evidence is naught but smoke and mirrors.

You've addressed neither WHY nor HOW:

You've shown no reason why[/u] a person would invent a religion which condemns himself. If he wished to use guilt to control others, wouldn't he exempt himself so that he maintains superiority and therefore control?

You have completely failed to address this.

You have shown no evidence how[/u] a person inventing a religion (such as Judaism in the OT for instance) could invent out of whole cloth a history of a nation spanning many centuries, which EVERY ONE of them or their ancestors supposedly would have participated in (400 years of slavery in Egypt and escape under Moses into Canaan) , convince that nation that THIS IS their history when they have had no inkling of these events prior and in this manner foist upon the nation a system of both civil laws AND religious laws and practices (the Torah) which is entirely and inextricably based upon the history he has invented.

This is especially true when the so called concocted history would have painted their nation in such a poor light, as was discussed previously.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 08:32 pm
Quote:

Your regard for yourself as god and your service of yourself as god certainly fit the definition of religion.

Satanism has been a codified and recognized religion since 1966. I wasn't even born yet. If you think I invented it, you haven't done enough research to even be addressing this.
Quote:

You've addressed neither WHY nor HOW

The why is something that can only be speculated on, as nobody from that time exists to fill us in. To speculate, I would say that people have always been trying to gain power over people, and religion grants this to an extreme for those holding the reigns. Do you dispute this?
For the how you need only look around. Cults and religions (as if there is a difference)abound, charismatic cult leaders convincing the very gullible of almost anything. People are very gullible creatures.Care for a glass of kool aide before the space ship arrives, anyone?

What it comes down to is plausibility. If you find a magical explanation more plausible than a perfectly rational non-magical alternative, that only speaks of your need to believe, and little else.
Personally I abstain from magical explanations to real world situations.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 10:54 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

Satanism has been a codified and recognized religion since 1966. I wasn't even born yet. If you think I invented it, you haven't done enough research to even be addressing this.

Well, DS since you consider yourself to be god, your religion is only as old as your belief that you are god.

Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

You've addressed neither WHY nor HOW

The why is something that can only be speculated on, as nobody from that time exists to fill us in. To speculate, I would say that people have always been trying to gain power over people, and religion grants this to an extreme for those holding the reigns. Do you dispute this?
For the how you need only look around. Cults and religions (as if there is a difference)abound, charismatic cult leaders convincing the very gullible of almost anything. People are very gullible creatures.Care for a glass of kool aide before the space ship arrives, anyone?

What it comes down to is plausibility. If you find a magical explanation more plausible than a perfectly rational non-magical alternative, that only speaks of your need to believe, and little else.
Personally I abstain from magical explanations to real world situations.

OK , well you apparently can't bring yourself to address the question of why would one invent a religion that condemned one's self as rebellious, unspiritual, bumbling, devious and cowardly?

Not plausible at all that one seeking to control others would portray themself in such a manner, is it?

How could one invent a history of an entire nation out of whole cloth that compelled that nation to accept both civil and religious laws that supposedly had no real historical basis?

Continually skirting the question does the discussion no good. Apparently you think people are gullible enough to think you've addressed the issue when you've dodged it. Unfortunately for you, they're not.

Your avoidance speaks volumes. You avoid not only supernatural explanations, but any explanations at all.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 01:33 am
Doktor--
Maybe Judaism started out less deceitful. A guilty conscience could easily have been responsible. Then, as the religion grew in power and influence, it would become a more valuable device for people seeking authority.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 01:45 am
Eorl wrote:
I hear people say that they find a religion that fits with the things they believe.

To me, that is the most obvious clue that you are deluding yourself.

You would think that if a religion was the "truth", then you'd just have to accept the bits that didn't fit with what you thought was right...... wouldn't you?

Pretty black and white and straight to the point, but not covering all aspects of the issue I think (as pointed out in the posts below). The problem of course being that it is hard(perhaps impossible) to separate the truth from the lies here. I hope that God, should he exist, is tolerant of men's incapability to choose the 'right belief' because of a simple overdose of available beliefsystems.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 02:09 am
real life wrote:
Eorl wrote:
I hear people say that they find a religion that fits with the things they believe.

To me, that is the most obvious clue that you are deluding yourself.

You are correct.

Eorl wrote:
You would think that if a religion was the "truth", then you'd just have to accept the bits that didn't fit with what you thought was right...... wouldn't you?

Yep that's the way it works.

For example, the Bible teaches that all have sinned. That goes against the grain of human nature, because we all naturally like to justify what we have done. Others may not have been right to do it, but somehow when we do the very same thing we have a justification for it, don't we?

That's one of the reasons that Biblical theology cannot be man-made.

No one would intentionally impose upon himself a religious standard that constantly condemned his own actions; especially if he knew all along it was of his own making.

I disagree. The cynical argument has already been provided, but still rings true. If salvation can only come not through your own actions, but from above, and that 'above' is represented by the institue of the church, it confers to that institution an enormous amount of power, at least as long as it's subjects rank their coming existence in heaven as more valuable then their current existence on earth.

There is also another argument, which is indeed human nature. You see, by miring all of men's actions in the realm of sin, it also alleviates men of the responsibility for his own atonement. For he cannot get it on his own. By this criterium, people need divine intervention regardless of what they do. So just live your life, confess, repent and ask the local clergymen what to do to atone for the commited sins. Do that, and hope it is enough.

real life wrote:

Also the Biblical history of the people of Israel cannot be man-made. Some have claimed it to be a 'self serving' account of pseudo history, but that is far from the case.

The Bible consistently paints the Israelites as stubborn, stiff necked, disobedient to God, undeserving of His care, unthankful for it also, idolatrous and sinful in spite of repeated admonishment and punishment, having to learn the same lesson over and over, weaker than their enemies and the cause of their own defeats at the hands of their neighbors and enemies. Their leaders are depicted as vacillating, sinful, duplicitous and vulgar. The common people are depicted as wayward and unspiritual and the priests as hypocritical, scheming, disobedient to the prophets, disregarding the Torah and poor leaders.

What man would have made up such a history that constantly brings out the worst side of his nation and the people who share the same faith as himself?

This problem is magnified, because even if one were to assert that one individual WOULD indeed be masochistic enough to devise such a religious standard or such a history, the Old Testament contains the writings of dozens of men over the course of many centuries , in various political climates and social arrangements; yet the same common themes throughout.

I have always been taught that much of the Old Testament was written down while the Israelites were exiles living in Babylon and later Persia. Keeping that in mind, it's easy to see the recurring theme, and why it is chosen thusly.
I cannot be sure this is how it happened, but possibly some of the following arguments are valid.
Here I am, sitting at the river Eufrate, taken prisoner and deported from my country. Why did this happen?
The obvious reason was of course that the Babylonians came and conquered, but why would their God allow them to do so? Was he perhaps defeated? Given the premise that JHWH is an all powerful creator of worlds, and that no other god can exist, this seems absurd. So the only reason for this to happen to his professed chosen people was because they let him down. God was disappointed and either refused to help, or, perhaps even worse, chose to punish his people by sending the Babylonians.
Now the burning question of course is: "When can we return?" Given the premise that God has punished them, or refused to help them at least, it seems that the Israelites are in disfavor. But will this last? Will they never return to their own lands? This is where their own past is used as a reminder that, no matter how disobedient and obstinate the Israelites have been, JHWH has always forgiven them their sins.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 11:53 am
echi wrote:
Doktor--
Maybe Judaism started out less deceitful. A guilty conscience could easily have been responsible. Then, as the religion grew in power and influence, it would become a more valuable device for people seeking authority.

Exactly. The guilt/fear angle is the providence of christianity. The judaic tradition has little to do, in content or structure, with todays christianity.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 07:56 pm
Doktor S wrote
Quote:
Exactly. The guilt/fear angle is the providence of christianity. The judaic tradition has little to do, in content or structure, with todays christianity

Dok i always find it ironic that you guys that arent christians seem to be the experts on christianity......especially when you in other threads have taken offense to people misconstruing your beliefs...
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 08:34 pm
Kate, do you expect sufferers of schizophrenia to be the experts on schizophrenia?

One who suffers from it can provide insights into it's workings, but they couldn't be trusted to study it objectively.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 11:19 pm
kate4christ03 wrote:
Doktor S wrote
Quote:
Exactly. The guilt/fear angle is the providence of christianity. The judaic tradition has little to do, in content or structure, with todays christianity

Dok i always find it ironic that you guys that arent christians seem to be the experts on christianity......especially when you in other threads have taken offense to people misconstruing your beliefs...

As Eorl astutely pointed out, one does not need to be afflicted with christianity to understand it's dogma. in fact, I find in many cases a robust understanding of the bible re-enforces atheism.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 12:04 am
It usually happens sooner rather than later in a thread.

Members who run out of anything useful or logical to say then simply start belching out raw insults.

It's an excellent indication of the barrenness of their position. They forfeit any credibility whatsoever when they do so, and they seldom fail to do so.

Congrats Eorl and DS. Your consistency never disappoints.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 12:10 am
You see insults? Where exactly?

Remember that people like me see people like you the same way YOU see people brainwashed in a bizarre cult. Would you call people IN that cult experts on cult psychology?
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 08:58 am
Real life yes.......i havent been on long but there are a few that will stoop to insults and rudeness when they dont have anything educated to say.....Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 10:16 am
Actually, if one could put his finger on the exact difference between rational faith and credulity, and explain why his/her belief represents the former, it would go a long way toward producing coherently developed topics.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 11:26 am
Eorl wrote:
Kate, do you expect sufferers of schizophrenia to be the experts on schizophrenia?

One who suffers from it can provide insights into it's workings, but they couldn't be trusted to study it objectively.

You compare religion to an affliction, a disease. To religious people, that could indeed qualify as an insult Eorl.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 11:45 am
The best succinct quote I've ever heard was by the late Joseph Campbell. He said, "Every religion is true in that it is metaphorical of the human and cosmic mystery, but if we get stuck to the metaphor then we're in trouble."

By getting "stuck to the metaphor" Campbell meant taking the the metaphorical expression of subjective spiritual experience and turning it into an objective literal reality. That's what most religions do. Almost every body can see the metaphor in the myths of all other religions past and present, but become blind concerning their own religion. That's when we say that only my religion is true and others are false. We must be willing and able to see the metaphor of our own religion or we are doomed to failure and superficiality.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 11:54 am
Here's an oldie but a goodie...I remember this coming up before.

Belief-O-Matic!

This'll fix you right up.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 06:03 pm
real life wrote:
It usually happens sooner rather than later in a thread.

Members who run out of anything useful or logical to say then simply start belching out raw insults.

It's an excellent indication of the barrenness of their position. They forfeit any credibility whatsoever when they do so, and they seldom fail to do so.

Congrats Eorl and DS. Your consistency never disappoints.

Coming from you, this is quite amusing, considering the thing you accuse me of is one of your favorite rhetorical tricks.
If you take my use of the word 'afflicted' to be a 'raw insult' I suggest you grow thicker skin.
0 Replies