Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 736 • Replies: 18
No top replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 09:21 am
Mr. Olmert tear down that wall.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 10:28 am
How do we know that this isn't another creative use of Photoshop used to sell newspapers?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:26 am
Asherman wrote:
How do we know that this isn't another creative use of Photoshop used to sell newspapers?

We don't know. Of course this particular incident has been reported by several sources (by BBC News, for example, or by the Human Rights Watch), and the photo appeared everywhere....
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:34 am
That's such a staged picture. His left arm is not tied at all and it doesn't
show clearly what he's got on his right upper arm. Could be a part of
a water bottle.

Fact is, Israel has never used and never will use children as human shield - unlike Palestinians did and still do. Manipulative propaganda, that's all
it is.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:37 am
"Daily Mail, Friday April 23 2004"

Is this really CURRENT? Why is this being re-hashed now?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:42 am
Spanky, follow steven gibons previous posts and you'll see that he's
fanatically pro Lebanon.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:44 am
I used to have a thing about Lebanons once. I suppose all men do....secretly.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:52 am
CalamityJane wrote:
That's such a staged picture. His left arm is not tied at all and it doesn't
show clearly what he's got on his right upper arm. Could be a part of
a water bottle.

Fact is, Israel has never used and never will use children as human shield - unlike Palestinians did and still do. Manipulative propaganda, that's all
it is.

Hum. I generally agree, but I'm not, 100 percent, sure it never happened. Just instinctively stating "That never happened" reminds me of the first reactions to the claims that American soldiers had tortured prisoners in Abu Ghraib.

I mean, did you follow the link to the BBC report on this incident, CJ? It's still possible that it never happened, or that the story was quite different from what was reported, but...... ya know?

Apart from that - going over these old stories again and again and again doesn't seem to be very productive. It's exactly what prevents a viable solution to the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 12:24 pm
old europe wrote:
Hum. I generally agree, but I'm not, 100 percent, sure it never happened. Just instinctively stating "That never happened" reminds me of the first reactions to the claims that American soldiers had tortured prisoners in Abu Ghraib.

You're comparing two different incidents and two different nations here.
Given the track record of American soldiers nowadays, only Bush would
say "it never happened".

However, in Israel's political/war history you have never seen or heard of that they use their own children as human shields, yet there is plenty of proof that the Palestinians did indeed - and proudly so (something I never
will understand).
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 12:31 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
However, in Israel's political/war history you have never seen or heard of that they use their own children as human shields, yet there is plenty of proof that the Palestinians did indeed - and proudly so (something I never
will understand).

Weeell, the HRW website says that IDF soldiers had been forcing Palestinian civilians to serve as "shields" to protect them from Palestinian militants, not Israeli civilians... That's what this particular story and the photo were about, too.

I'm very willing to brush it away as isolated incidents, actions by some IDF soldiers not acting on orders. But that's still different from saying "It never happened, because Israelis don't do that."
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 12:39 pm
You know old Europe, these private human rights organisations remind me of Green Peace. They do everything in their power to follow their agenda,
even taking a few casualties here and there, just to proof their cause.
I would not read too much into such websites - there are more reputable
media sources available if one is looking for a true recount of actual events.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 12:47 pm
Yeah, I usually take these accounts with a grain of salt and not as The Truth. The BBC website, however, states that Israel's Supreme Court banned the use of human shields only in 2002. I haven't read up on that, but I trust BBC enough to assume that this piece of information is right.

The article further says this

BBC News wrote:
The use of human shields was banned after an incident in which soldiers forced the neighbour of a suspected militant to knock on his door and deliver their demands. The militant shot and killed the man.

But speaking about more reputable media sources - did you find an account of this incident somewhere?
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 12:50 pm
B'TSELEM - The Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories was established in 1989 by a group of prominent academics, attorneys, journalists, and Knesset members. It endeavors to document and educate the Israeli public and policymakers about human rights violations in the Occupied Territories, combat the phenomenon of denial prevalent among the Israeli public, and help create a human rights culture in Israel.

20 July 2006: Israeli Soldiers use civilians as Human Shields in Beit Hanun

--------------------

Israel uses human shields. (period)
Unless of course your head is stuck up....You're bound to miss the fact. Laughing

Oh, and here's another photoshoped. :wink:

http://www.aztlan.net/apartheid.jpg

And a photoshoped graph. Smile

http://www.ifamericansknew.org/images/children_by_year-lg.gif

http://www.ifamericansknew.org/
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 01:06 pm
!
I leave my head stuck up, thank you!
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 01:09 pm
Re: !
CalamityJane wrote:
I leave my head stuck up, thank you!

I can see that, CalamityJane Smile
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 01:10 pm
<sigh>

Okay, F4F is here, the discussion is over....
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 01:10 pm
Just what one expects from people like you, F4F!
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 01:15 pm
old europe wrote:
<sigh>

Okay, F4F is here, the discussion is over....

Oh, sorry europe, please continue to debate, i will check back in 15 years, to see if you've managed to pull her ( CalamityJane's) head out.

I'll give you some advice, use a crowbar or a wonder bar.

http://student.chem.pmf.hr/content/brdo/ostale/crowbar-T.JPG
0 Replies