THE BRITISH THREAD

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 02:11 pm
hamburger wrote:
i was arrested by two british MP's (military police) in hamburg in the spring of 1948 for wearing a u.s army jacket that had not been dyed ;
does that qualify me to join this thread :wink: ?
it was forbidden to wear allied uniform jackets , pants etc unless they had been dyed - usually a greenish-brown colour .
hbg

btw spent the night in the lockup , but was released the next day upon promising the british army judge "not to re-offend" - hope no one is looking for me Rolling Eyes .

Did they grab you by the "privates", hbg?

Or was it a "Major" offence?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 02:11 pm
Now owned by .... not the former English manager :wink:

(That's a reply to your previous response, of course.)
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 02:15 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Now owned by .... not the former English manager :wink:

(That's a reply to your previous response, of course.)

Yep, erikkson will own the world one day....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 02:40 pm
Re: THE BRITISH THREAD
smorgs wrote:
On a more serious note: Another shooting in Moss Side (15 year old boy), which is not 10 minutes away from where I live...

Boy's shooting could be 'mistake'
Quote:
"The most likely explanation is that Jessie was in the wrong place at the wrong time," he added.

"It probably was mistaken identity."

Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 03:28 pm
oldandnew wrote:

Quote:
Anthony newly was great. As well as acting he was also a writer, plus he wrote & rec. songs. Stop The World I Want to Get Off.

In 1960 I was working at ATV as an assisstant film editor on an Anthoy Newly show called ------------------------------------------------>>>>>>

The Strange World of Gurney Slade

I love Anthony Newly... 'What kind of Fool am I' being a favourite.

Recently saw a brilliant programme about Mat Munroe, I know he is not considered 'cool' but I really like his songs, Sinatra was a fan of HIS! I love the song 'On Days Like These' ... theme from The Italian Job - a classic.

Are you still in the editing business?

x
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 03:40 pm
hamburger wrote:
Quote:
does that qualify me to join this thread

Everyone's welcome on here hamburger... especially you!

x
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 03:41 pm
Walter, don't you find it bizarre that the poor kid was called Jesse James?

x
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 03:52 pm
I would say sad, more than bizarre. Some parents have no sense of decorum when it comes to naming their offspring.

My office is in the same building as the Registrars.
During the height of the IRA campaign, they once had some Irish parents (Kelly) wishing to name their son "Dynamite". Seriously. The Registrar had to cite some obscure law, in order to stop them from doing so.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 03:52 pm
Hi Smorgs ------------- I'm no longer working in the film or tv industries.
After about 45 years of fun, as opposed to hard work, I decided too quit.
Partly for health & partly cos it's a young persons world at the sharp end.

By the way, Matt Munro was a very popular singer with a lot of people.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 03:55 pm
Ellpus wrote:
Quote:
I would say sad, more than bizarre. Some parents have no sense of decorum when it comes to naming their offspring.

I don't know if I've posted this before...

I really did hear a Mother (in the Arndale centre, manchester) shouting

"J'Taime, cum 'ere now!"

In a proper Manc accent....
x
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 04:19 pm
Sadly smorgs, we have exactly the same thing going on down here.

My all time hated names are (in no particular order):

1. Chelsea.
2. Tyler
3. Chardonnais

Well, as it has gone 11pm here in the UK, us Brits will now gradually drift off to bed, leaving this thread wide open to those marauding Americans.

It's been a very good weekend, I must say, but I'm now dog tired and off to bed.

Goodnight, all.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 06:55 pm
lord e wrote : "Did they grab you by the "privates", hbg?

i was an "apprentice" at the time , not a "private" Smile .
btw the jacket was returned back to me after a few days - undyed , still in original colour .
so i continued to wear it without problem thereafter .
one of the MP's wanted to let me go , but the other one insisted on going through with it - must have had a bad night Razz .
never held it against the other british soldiers ; i bought packs of cigarettes from them - senior service was a prmium brand - and resold them individually at a good profit Laughing .
"woodbines" were not a good seller so they would sell them for less to me .
those were the days when one could still make an honest living :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 12:41 am
Work experience on Death Row
By Dan Bell
BBC News, London

Sarah Smith is ready for the gruelling work
In just over a month, a young British lawyer will leave the legal establishment of Chancery Lane in London and fly to Oklahoma for a five-month internship on Death Row.
Sarah Smith, 25, from Barking, east London, is one of about 20 British lawyers each year sent by a London-based charity called Amicus to assist death penalty defence attorneys in the United States.

The charity provides legal training, arranges placements with defence lawyers and reaches out to law schools across the UK.

Amicus was set up after the execution of Andrew Lee Jones in Louisiana in 1991.

Opponents of the death penalty say Mr Jones's case highlights problems with the system.

His court appointed lawyer had never before represented someone facing the death penalty.

It's mostly poor people and damaged people who are receiving the death penalty, and not the worst of the worst

Robin Maher

He only received papers for the case shortly before the trial, and he saw Mr Jones only a handful of times. The lawyer later apologised for not giving Mr Jones a fair defence.

"One of the major problems is the dearth of adequately qualified and compensated defence counsel," said Robin Maher, Director of the American Bar Association Death Penalty Representation Project, and an Amicus adviser.

"It's mostly poor people and damaged people who are receiving the death penalty, and not the worst of the worst," she added.

Ms Smith recently graduated with a Master's Degree in law at University College London, and plans to go into criminal practice when she returns.

Low IQs

She was determined to do something worthwhile before beginning her career, "rather than doing something in the City that I wasn't too invested in and was just about the money," she says.

After a friend returned from an internship in Louisiana, she knew it was something she had to do.

"It's an opportunity I can't turn down," she says. "What everybody has to agree with is there has to be sufficient resources to provide a solid defence."

There are just under 3,400 people on Death Row in the 38 states that practise capital punishment. In the past 12 years, at least 30 people have been executed who had IQs below 80.

Carlos Cuesta is on Death Row

There is also a risk of executing an innocent person. Over the last 33 years, 123 people have been exonerated and released after being sentenced to death.

Ms Smith is due to work on the case of Carlos Cuesta, who is accused of killing his girlfriend in front of her pregnant daughter.

She will interview witnesses, aid in jury selection, serve subpoenas, give advice on which evidence to present, and she will go into prison and get to know Mr Cuesta as he awaits trial.

"It will be an excellent opportunity to get to know ... the practicality of dealing with defendants," she says.

"I don't think my opinion is any more valid than anyone else's, it isn't why I'm going to death row," she says. "It really is about fair trial issues."
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 12:47 am
Morning Everyone!

Most of Britain is waking up to a lovely day...

I woke up to a present from the cats in the kitchen - not good at 7.00a.m.

Whilst mopping, I was podering whether it is better to be a cleaner or work in a Jobcentre....

x
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 12:53 am
Morning over the Channel.

From today's The Guardian (page 9)

http://i7.tinypic.com/2ng8tts.jpg
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 12:54 am
...make that 28, Walter

x
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 01:23 am
smorgs wrote:
Walter, don't you find it bizarre that the poor kid was called Jesse James?

'Jessie' James:

http://i7.tinypic.com/43cq62v.jpg
source: today's MEN, frontpage
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 02:17 am
Bookmark for later
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 02:33 am
I have decided to stalk KP
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 02:43 am
oldandknew wrote

Quote:
1've stopped reading newspapers earlier this year, for the simple reason that a lot of the time they cannot be believed.

What?! Even the News of the World on a Sunday?

x
0 Replies