THE BRITISH THREAD

Clary

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 09:35 am
You'll get various opinions on that, BPB - it has to be said that Essex is nowadays synonymous with bad-mannered, foul-mouthed idiots - but rest assured that in the 17th century it was a haven of agricultural workers who went placidly about their arable business with never a swear word between them. Dutch and Flemish workers also came in to enhance the peaceful scene.

People with get-up-and-go went to Londond or, indeed, the further flung colonies...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 09:37 am
Clary wrote:
You'll get various opinions on that, BPB - it has to be said that Essex is nowadays synonymous with bad-mannered, foul-mouthed idiots - but rest assured that in the 17th century it was a haven of agricultural workers who went placidly about their arable business with never a swear word between them. Dutch and Flemish workers also came in to enhance the peaceful scene.

People with get-up-and-go went to Londond or, indeed, the further flung colonies...

In the 1700's London seems to be where they started showing up.... didn't start coming here until around the mid 1800's and apparently still quite a few over there on your side.

bad mannered and foul mouthed eh? well that explains a lot... Laughing
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 10:21 am
Why don't you geneologists just sit down and make it all up like Roman Emperors, and other important persons, did as a matter of course. Nobody will check up on you so long as you don't make any claims to any property of any sort whatsoever.

That will save rooting around in dusty old archives and distracting the staff of various museums from their study of racing form.

1632 is 14 or 15 generations and represents about 6,000 persons with equal footing in the secret spiral. So, whatever you do you're making it up really so you might as well touch it up to your taste.

I know where I came from. I've been extruded from the distant past.

"A pint please Landlord and a double gin in a straight glass, one cube of ice, two lemon and one of those pink umbrellas.

Oh-a straw. "
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 10:42 am
why go to the trouble of making up a hot **** genealogy if one couldn't use it to claim property, money or something of value? Tooooo much work.

Make mine a glass of red or perhaps a nice absinthe....
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 12:12 pm
I don't like Liz Hurley.

And I don't like whatserface, on Any Questions? today, Ruth Kelly. You'd think as Minister for Education she could learn to say the word "children" properly- she says something that sounds like chiwdrin.

Like her boss Blair who prefers to appear on the wewd stage to cure all the ills of the wewd.

A plague, a pox, a murrain on their house.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 12:13 pm
McTag wrote:
I don't like Liz Hurley.

And I don't like whatserface, on Any Questions? today, Ruth Kelly. You'd think as Minister for Education she could learn to say the word "children" properly- she says something that sounds like chiwdrin.

Like her boss Blair who prefers to appear on the wewd stage to cure all the ills of the wewd.

Liz Hurley just secretly married an Indian (dot not feather) businessman.... I always thought she was pretty hot....
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 12:15 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
If Imay interrupt you Brits for a moment.... my half brother who I've never met but converse withis a genealogist and is always working onour family tree. so far he's got as far back as 1632 where my relatives were born in Essex England.

so tell me, was that an okay area or do I trace my beginnings to some dirt poor slum?

The Earl of Essex was a favourite Queen Elizabeth I's court, slightly before that time.

Maybe you're related to the House of Tudor.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 12:18 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
McTag wrote:
I don't like Liz Hurley.

Liz Hurley just secretly married an Indian (dot not feather) businessman.... I always thought she was pretty hot....

Secretly? If you count about 20 news cameras and associated flunkeys in Gloucestershire today a secret. This has been the most publicised non-event in our recent history...ask Spendy, he reads "Hello"
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 12:21 pm
http://i13.tinypic.com/2mnhkle.jpg

Source. With this last line:
Quote:
The 11th Earl is a bachelor. After his death, the title will pass to a distant cousin in California

You're in California, bear? :wink:
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 12:22 pm
spendius wrote:
Mac-

This end of the bar has taken a recent tone which finds your rather vulgar interjection, concerning a matter of no significance whatsoever, somewhat grating.

Shame, but

Can it get any worse? ManU win away, Man City lose at home, and my wife goes to bed feeling ill so I have to get me own tea.

Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 12:25 pm
interesting post jeremyh

welcome to a2k

i cant help but get the impression there is a message you are trying to convey.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 12:30 pm
McTag wrote:
spendius wrote:
Mac-

This end of the bar has taken a recent tone which finds your rather vulgar interjection, concerning a matter of no significance whatsoever, somewhat grating.

Shame, but

Can it get any worse? ManU win away, Man City lose at home, and my wife goes to bed feeling ill so I have to get me own tea.

Crying or Very sad
thats outrageous. Women dont understand football.

(hope everything ok, our best wishes...remember there is a chip shop near you)
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 12:31 pm
Pooooooor Mac.

Arsenal conceded, Fulham didn't win. My lads are feeling Crying or Very sad too.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 12:38 pm
Clary wrote:
Pooooooor Mac.

Arsenal conceded, Fulham didn't win. My lads are feeling Crying or Very sad too.
oh clary i am so sorry, i will forever feel guilty that i jumped up and spilled my pint when o shea scored.

apart from that hope things ok down in deepest devon

are you setting the alarm to wake up at 11 pm tonight to look at the moon?
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 12:39 pm
I'm in deepest Finchley, as it happens; so what gives with this moon thing?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 12:40 pm
there is a total eclipse of the moon tonight

starting 10.30

it goes pink

apparantly

hows finchley?
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 12:45 pm
It's ok, the boys playing pro-evo so completely incommunicado. We will certainly make a pt of looking at the pink moon, we have wine in stock and a large chicken curry on the stove Very Happy
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 02:57 pm
You EAT CHICKEN!!!!????

The sacred bird of Sumeria which is the cradle of civilisation.

I bet you ate beef in India. On the bone no doubt.

Shame on you Clary.

CLUCK,CLUCK.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 03:55 pm
On the subject of chicken, I made a recent happy discovery of the Murghi Twister which is sold at my local Bangladeshi kebab house and takeaway, and which is absolutely gorgeous.

When I later looked up the word, I found out that murgh is the word for chicken in that tongue, I forget which, Urdu probably.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 04:03 pm
Have a look at of the window:

http://i16.tinypic.com/472d1ea.jpg
0 Replies