LEGALIZING DRUGS

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 09:16 am
I'm in favor of legalizing drugs. According to my values system, if people want to kill themselves, they have every right to do so. Most of the harm that comes from drugs is because they are illegal.
--Milton Friedman, US. Economist

Canada's recent decision to permit the sick access to medical marijuana is just the latest in a long series of refutations by other countries of America's drug policies. It comes on the heels of Portugal's decriminalizing the personal possession of small quantities of all drugs. It follows Mexican President Vincente Fox's call for drug legalization as the way to break the black market. The Conservative Party in Great Britain is arguing heatedly about whether they should decriminalize marijuana, remove penalties for its use or legalize it, which would permit a legal distribution system to be set up, ending the contact marijuana users now have with sellers of harder drugs. All over the world countries are looking at the disastrous results of America's "War on Drugs" and shifting their drug policies to avoid making the same mistakes.
--Cannabes News

The USA is spending untold sums in the losing battle of fighting drug use through criminal statutes. Moreover, at least half the population of our jails and prisons is related to the criminalization of drug use. There is also the crime spin-off from this.

The country certainly needs to address this important question.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,277 • Replies: 111
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 09:53 am
As long as there are "Christians" and "right thinking people" for politicians to pander to drugs will never be legal. It's easy to lock up some hippie smoking dope and appear to be upholding law and order, much easier than actually arresting real criminals and chance getting shot.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 10:01 am
There's lots of money to be made from fighting an anti drug war.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 01:42 pm
The criminal justice/corrections industry is huge and very powerful. What a shame!

I guess the latest thing is going after terror cells. The "cell" recently busted in Miami had members so poor that the government plant had to buy them boots.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 12:44 pm
According to Leno:

Willie Nelson was arrested for procession of marijuana earlier this week. Nice to see we're cracking down on crime in this country!

Police officers said Willie's bus reeked of pot. That's when you know it's bad, when the pot smoke overwhelms the diesel smell of your tour bus.

A giant bus with Willie Nelson on the side. That's probable cause right there isn't it?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 12:46 pm
How does on "process" marijuana--don't you just leave it to dry?

The thread started about Nelson's citation (he was not actually detained) is much more interesting than this one.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 01:18 pm
Oh no! Willie should have been detained -- he is a dangerous pothead.

I just heard on the news that drug dealers will finance the purchase of your home if you agree to grow pot at home. Who do I call?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 01:20 pm
You should probably call a lawyer. The cooperation of the Ontario Provinicial Police and the Hydro has succeeded in rounding up a lot of would-be pot millionaires, and shutting down grow operations. Of course, there's never a lack of suckers, so they continue to hunt down the grow ops.

You might get away with it for a while, but if you do it indoors, you will inevitably attract attention, and you'll trash your house in the process. Good luck, and don't call me when you get busted, because i won't drop by during visiting hours.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 01:49 pm
Advocate wrote:
Oh no! Willie should have been detained -- he is a dangerous pothead.

I just heard on the news that drug dealers will finance the purchase of your home if you agree to grow pot at home. Who do I call?

If I were you I'd call a good lawyer, for when you're busted and busted real good.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 02:39 pm
In the event of the authorities monitoring this thread, I was only joking about possibly contacting drug dealers. I am kind of high on life.
0 Replies

babemomlover

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 08:48 pm
It makes perfect sense.

We spend 15 billion a year on anti-drug laws.
We would make 5 billion+if the Marijuana alcohol equilization act was passed
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 10:07 am
The feds spend about $17 B a year. I wager the states and local govts. spend much, much, more.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 02:02 pm
Quote:
Most of the harm that comes from drugs is because they are illegal.
--Milton Friedman, US. Economist

I can see that Mr. Friedman never took a Pathology course.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 02:46 pm
Miller, sure some of the drugs are very damaging. However, sending someone to prison ruins their life. If they survive prison, it is difficult to get employment. Moreover, drugs being illegal, they are very expensive, forcing people to rob and even kill to get the money to pay for them.

It would be better to spend the money going to the criminal-justice system on rehabbing addicts. I wager the cost would be much less, and the users could continue in gainful employment.

For some reason, I think you know this.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 02:55 am
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 03:13 am
Quote:

http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/41/3/23

This is interesting.

I think you make a lot of good points. Thanks also for the link.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 11:36 am
v, with all due respect, I think we all know that drugs affect people differently. But this doesn't impact the argument that decriminalization makes sense.

The USA has spent a trillion dollars in its criminalization of drugs, and it is losing the war. This is especially so now that Mexico has become a major supplier.

It makes no sense to impose a prison sentence on someone because he or she is sick (addicted to drugs). Are they not suffering enough with the addiction? Years ago, we decriminalized alcohol, and no one would argue that we should return to prohibition. Moreover, many more people die of alcohol and tobacco use than all the other drugs combined.
0 Replies

Foley

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 07:24 pm
Drugs should be legal at the age of 18, along with alcohol. Anything you want to do to yourself is your own fault.

Intoxicating another with drugs should be a huge offense. Huge fine, huge prison sentence. Giving them to a minor likewise. Public intoxication should be slightly less of an offense, but still very large. Any crimes you commit while intoxicated are judged as if you were not, if not worse.

Besides, marijuana can be less deadly than tobacco. But we've been using tobacco for years, so its okay.

Anyone see any problems in that?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 02:00 am
Quote:
Drugs should be legal at the age of 18, along with alcohol. Anything you want to do to yourself is your own fault.
Small problem - drugs (and alochol) don't necessarily just effect just the person taking them. That should be obvious from all the health workers needed to care for them, social workers, mental health staff etc etc etc. This 'support' is paid for by other people. It effects that taxpayer, the families, the friends, people killed by drug drivers, people assaulted by people on amphetamines, the police who deal with violent drug effected people, the ambulance officers who deal with the injuries etc etc etc.

Quote:
v, with all due respect, I think we all know that drugs affect people differently. But this doesn't impact the argument that decriminalization makes sense.

The USA has spent a trillion dollars in its criminalization of drugs, and it is losing the war. This is especially so now that Mexico has become a major supplier.

You are making an economic case of decriminalising drugs here. You may have missed it, but I was saying that I believe (it is my opinion only) that the actual cost, in mental health, traffic injury & death, drug addiction support & detox, family counselling, and loss of productivity would actually be many times greater than the money spent on current enforcement.

My opinion is that it would be better to use Sweden's methods, who have the lowest drug addiction rate in the western world.

Quote:
It makes no sense to impose a prison sentence on someone because he or she is sick (addicted to drugs). Are they not suffering enough with the addiction?
You are misrepresenting the situation here. People have a choice whether or not they take drugs. No one forces them to do this. Taking responsibility for ones own actions is a cornerstone of society. They are not victims of crime, they are (originally) willing partakers in committing an offence. If you have any dealings with hardcore drug addicts you will find the one thing they all have in common, is they admit no responsibility for their own actions. The ones that detox, one and all, say that it wasn't until they admitted they had a problem that they could overcome the problem. Your view is encouraging a basic lie that all drug addicts tell themselves.

Addiction is certainly a mental and physiological issue. Their self responsibility and choices, are not.

Quote:
Years ago, we decriminalized alcohol, and no one would argue that we should return to prohibition. Moreover, many more people die of alcohol and tobacco use than all the other drugs combined.

Quite right. That would be because they are legal, popular and socially acceptable drugs, would it not?

PS. In none of this am I saying hard drugs doesn't have a terrible and negative effect on the addicts themselves, only that, in the end, every member of our society must accept responsibility for their own actions (for no-one/nothing else ever makes even one decision for an individual).
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2007 01:34 pm
aidan, you say that intoxicating another should be a huge offense. Does this also apply to alcohol? There is a problem in that someone using, say, pot, is likely at some point to sell a little of his or her stash to a friend. Would you propose that the seller be locked away for this? I wouldn't.

v, what exactly is your position on imposing criminal sentencing for having "illegal" drugs? BTW, virtually all we do has an impact on others. So what? Also, addiction is not always a voluntary thing. In many cases, such as with our former Supreme Ct. Chief Justice, it begins with taking pain medicine. Should he have been thrown in jail?
0 Replies