Why isn't homosexuality considered a mental illness anymore?

material girl

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 03:53 am
NickFun wrote:
A friend of mine is a beefy 400 pound Republican. He insists that being gay is a "choice". One day I aksed him, "when you were a teenager did you decide that women were going to turn you on or did it just happen by itself?" He replied "I DECIDED!" I replied, "If that's the case then that means both men and women turn you on. By definition that make YOU gay my friend!"

He slammed his fist on the desk. "I'm a married man with two kids!!! How dare you call me gay!!!"

At this point he rose from his chair and started to chase me. He wasn't very swift and I ran for the door. I've never seen him again.

No doubt about it. He's gay.

He's defiantely gay if he chased you!!

If he chose that women were to turn him on it must mean that he thought about guys turning him on in order to get a comparison.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 02:56 pm
Material Girl, that (your last point), was part of my last message.

Don't anyone listen to Prince. He's just trying to evade the 400 lb. republican.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 02:57 pm
JLN, is you one a them homo-six-uals, and won't admit it?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 03:13 pm
Actually, Set. I confess that I am not.
But I AM (like you) a descendant of Homo Erectus. Having a hell of a time, however, living up to that heritage. How about you?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 03:13 pm
But I AM (like you) a descendant of Homo Erectus. Having a hell of a time, however, living up to that heritage. How about you?
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 04:08 pm
The world is moving ever forward to unity and acceptance. This is visible in racism, homosexuality and various other areas. (Unfortuneately this is not happening in religion.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 05:20 pm
JLNobody wrote:

At my age, i am no longer willing to discuss that topic.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 07:37 am
Setanta wrote:
JLNobody wrote:

At my age, i am no longer willing to discuss that topic.
Oh but you must. Learn to embrace yourself old man and all that you are.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 01:45 am
Monolith wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
Quote:

It never was! Some of the most brilliant people are homosexuals,
and they are as normal as you. Only their sexual preference is
different, that's all.

Actually I'm pretty sure it was listed in the DSM V until the 1970's.
DSM, yes; but not sure which edition. It was classified as a personality disorder when I got my degree in the 1960s. My own personal take on the issue is a recognition of the fact that a large percentage of those in the profession having homosexual inclinations simply lobbied for its reclassification.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 11:19 am
I heard that Alexander the Great was a homosexual. As was Michelangelo. Without homosexuals we would have been deprived of great leaders and works of art. Not to mention much of Hollywood is gay...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 11:22 am
Seems to me that something is only pathological if it causes suffering or impairs functioning in daily life. Since homosexuality per se does neither, why should it be classified as a defect/disease/illness/disorder?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 12:13 pm
Of course homosexuality causes disfunction in daily life.

All those conservatives can't function when all they can think about is gays having sex.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 05:30 pm

Because there are so many the State can't afford to designate it as a mental illness as it can't afford to provide treatment for them all.

Homosexuals would be able to avoid working if they were designated ill under NHS regulations.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 09:41 pm
Oh Spendi, don't be silly. They are no longer considered "ill" because it has been realized on good medical grounds that they never were. What I wonder is why extreme conservatives (who are not rich and therefore advocating policies that hurt them) are not considered ill.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 07:30 am
Quote:

Because that would be really stupid!
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 11:09 am
I feel like I should say something here simply because I am a homo. Though, this seems like such an idiotic question, that I just don't know what to say about it. I'm not really sure why people insist there has to be a "reason" for being gay. I have no idea why I like dick. Just do. Always have. I dated girls early in junior high and high school, but even then I knew I liked boys. Eventualy I grew out of that "phase." I've known a few "straight" guys that weren't straight. They fell to the pressures of society to be "normal" and date girls and plan on getting married. But they're still not straight. And they will cheat on their wives, just as they cheated on their girlfriends in college. So how does that help anything? Marriage has enough problems without that.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 02:49 pm
I think, Hokie, that our society, in not recognizing the legitimacy of homosexuality is endangering the homosexual community by promoting the kind of "underworld" public sex world that spreads aids. It is in the interest of society to encourage gay marriage. I have a gay cousin who has been "married" for many years and, as such, has lived a loving, stable, and medically safe life. I wish all gays could have that AND the legal benefits of "official" marriage.
All societies have forms of marriage that function to minimize the violence inherent in competition for women. This means of discouraging promiscuity and conflict for lovers should be--for the benefit of all--granted the homosexual sector of society.
0 Replies