Why isn't homosexuality considered a mental illness anymore?

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 03:10 pm
Homosexuality is no more a persons choice than is blonde hair or blue eyes. No one chooses to be attracted to the same sex. And it's certainly not normal, either - our entire reproduction depends on people being attracted to the opposite sex.

Why, then, aren't treatments pursued for it? Why has it become accepted as a "lifestyle" when it's not a lifestyle any gay person chose, it's one their biology forced upon them?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,227 • Replies: 56
No top replies

agrote

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 03:14 pm
Because it doesn't really cause any problems.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 03:18 pm
What's wrong with it?

Why don't we force left-handed people to write with their right hand?

Why don't we force red-haired people to dye their hair black?

Quote:
And it's certainly not normal, either - our entire reproduction depends on people being attracted to the opposite sex.

That's arguable. Our species has evolved to survive -- as a species. Having childless adults available to help provide resources and protect the children is of a benefit to the species as a whole.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 03:24 pm
Quote:

It never was! Some of the most brilliant people are homosexuals,
and they are as normal as you. Only their sexual preference is
different, that's all.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 03:58 pm
CJ: I think the thread originator is referring to this: Pentagon Memo

Here's the text of the article:

Quote:

Yes. Your tax dollars at work.

Joe(only thirty years to change)Nation
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 04:10 pm
Re: Why isn't homosexuality considered a mental illness anym
Monolith wrote:
Homosexuality is no more a persons choice than is blonde hair or blue eyes. No one chooses to be attracted to the same sex. And it's certainly not normal, either - our entire reproduction depends on people being attracted to the opposite sex.
If it is not a choice, then it is normal...or are you saying that someone with blue eyes or blonde hair is not normal? Since all of these are not matters of choice, they are all normal.
Further, when it comes to reproduction, you are aware (I hope) of the fact that homosexuals can indeed reproduce and for those who do not, consider it a free form of birth control. Of course there are also heterosexual persons who do not reproduce...are they mentally ill as well?

Monolith wrote:
Why, then, aren't treatments pursued for it?
What sort of treatment? Should we perhaps convert all the non-homosexuals since they did not choose their sexuality either, what makes you believe their sexuality is normal?
Monolith wrote:
Why has it become accepted as a "lifestyle" when it's not a lifestyle any gay person chose, it's one their biology forced upon them?
Which of course is absurd. Sexuality is not forced upon a person...not the true sexuality of a person, whether they be homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual or asexual. A homosexual can indeed force their thinking towards heterosexuality and marry a person of the opposite gender...that is forced. Forced by societies standards and perverse views of right and wrong.

So we finish off with you wanting to have the homosexual labeled as mentally ill even though you feel the sexuality is not their choice or at another point you have it listed as a forced upon them matter. You may do well to seek the mental health help yourself.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 04:16 pm
I'm attracted to the opposite sex (and they are attracted to me) and I have never reproduced.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 04:41 pm
Monolith wrote:

Why, then, aren't treatments pursued for it? Why has it become accepted as a "lifestyle" when it's not a lifestyle any gay person chose, it's one their biology forced upon them?

Maybe it's because we hate them and we don't want to waste money fixing them. Just kidding. This is a really dumb question!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 06:34 pm
Well.... I see this thread has been properly handled!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 08:53 pm
-- brushes his hands off and grins at littlek --
0 Replies

Bawb

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 09:51 am
agrote wrote:

Except for that guys mate..

:wink:
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 09:55 am
the systematic emasculation of men ovr the last couple of decades has made them decide to like the taste of dick. that's it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 10:18 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
the systematic emasculation of men ovr the last couple of decades has made them decide to like the taste of dick. that's it.

Exactly bear! Only strong men can handle emancipated women, and
that's a natural weeding out process.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 10:20 am
Plato would have to agree with that.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 03:28 pm
Bawb wrote:
agrote wrote:
Except for that guys mate..

Where's the problem with that?
0 Replies

Monolith

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 03:48 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Quote:

It never was! Some of the most brilliant people are homosexuals,
and they are as normal as you. Only their sexual preference is
different, that's all.

Actually im pretty sure it was listed in the DSM V untill the 1970's.
0 Replies

Monolith

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 04:01 pm
Sturgis wrote:
If it is not a choice, then it is normal...or are you saying that someone with blue eyes or blonde hair is not normal? Since all of these are not matters of choice, they are all normal.

Blonde hair and blue eyes dont prevent a person from passing on their genes, which is the biological objective of the human species.

Sturgis wrote:

Further, when it comes to reproduction, you are aware (I hope) of the fact that homosexuals can indeed reproduce and for those who do not, consider it a free form of birth control. Of course there are also heterosexual persons who do not reproduce...are they mentally ill as well?

What a person is physically capable of and what they prefer are two very different things. Im physically capable of not eating any sugar for the rest of my life. Will i choose to? Nope. A homosexual can reproduce if they want to, but are they likely to? Nope. A heterosexual can choose to have sex with a man, but is he likely to do so? Nope.

Sturgis wrote:

What sort of treatment? Should we perhaps convert all the non-homosexuals since they did not choose their sexuality either, what makes you believe their sexuality is normal?

Because a heterosexual orientation perpetuates our species. Are you suggesting that sexual reproduction is abnormal?

Sturgis wrote:

Which of course is absurd. Sexuality is not forced upon a person...not the true sexuality of a person, whether they be homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual or asexual. A homosexual can indeed force their thinking towards heterosexuality and marry a person of the opposite gender...that is forced. Forced by societies standards and perverse views of right and wrong.

Do you think a 12 year old on the verge of adolescense decides one day that "hey, in this homophobic society where my peers use 'gay' as a derisive adjective as much as 'sucks' or 'crappy', i think ill choose to be a homosexual and be ostracized from society." Im doubting it. If homosexuality were a choice, dont you think the impressionable young people of society would "choose" to be something more accepted by their peers?

Sturgis wrote:

So we finish off with you wanting to have the homosexual labeled as mentally ill even though you feel the sexuality is not their choice or at another point you have it listed as a forced upon them matter. You may do well to seek the mental health help yourself.

So is pedophilia a "lifestyle" as well? Or is that a mental illness?
0 Replies

Monolith

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 04:05 pm
stuh505 wrote:
-- brushes his hands off and grins at littlek --

"YEAH, WE GOTS HIM GOOD YA'LL! YEE-HAH! 'DAT DUMB BOI WON'T BE COMIN 'ROUND DEES PARTS NO MORE."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 04:15 pm
Monolith, I think the gist here is that there is a range of normal. Having childless adults around is beneficial to the whole of a species. One could possibly argue that if all the adults of a species bore children, that that could be a bad thing. Parents are very protective of their young. Raising young takes a great deal of resources. So what if the childless adult sleeps with other adults of the same rather than opposite sex?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 07:59 am
You done asked for it boi, what with yer talkin abut sometin tat you already knows the answer to, me boy. Me thinks you's is just wantin to argue. Yar buck.
0 Replies