when guns are outlawed

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 09:50 am
When guns are outlawed only outlaws (or the government) will have guns.
Salt Lake City, Utah:
Quote:
A killers execution by firing squad has been put on hold until a court can decide if he is mentally competent. Robert Arguelie's death was to be part of back-to-back firing squad executions set for later this month.
Rocky Mtn News 6/5/03
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,483 • Replies: 13
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 10:06 am
what the hell is happening here in the states? What kind of crazy regression is goin on? How could we let it happen?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 07:08 pm
Chris Rock says let's keep the guns and charge 5,000 dollars per bullet.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 07:10 pm
Ashcroft would just write it off as homeland security costs
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 07:11 pm
I would choose stoning by marshmallows.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 07:21 pm
for the record i am a gun owner
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 07:57 pm
It is actually an excellent source of revenue for the states.
Minnesota, which just passed a right to carry law plans on selling the licenses for $300, and requiring a gun awareness class which costs another $100.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 08:02 pm
Not during my life time. c.i.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 08:16 pm
Americans continue to kill each other, either in anger or for sport, at a greater rate per person then most countries engaged in a civil wars.

"Of the world's 36 wealthiest nations, the U.S. gun death rate for 1994 was the highest at 14.24 per 100,000 people. Asian countries had the lowest rates followed by England and Wales. In 1994, the U.S. accounted for 45 percent of the 88,649 gun deaths in those 36 nations."

We are the richest, best educated, most stable republic on the planet and we continue to outpace the Congo in gun deaths. Wha?

I'm going to go stare out the window.

J
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 08:26 pm
Don't care for the 'back to back' bit. Bit Pythonish, 'Execution? Last meal finished? Lovely. Could you take a number and wait till you're called".
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 09:08 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
"Of the world's 36 wealthiest nations, the U.S. gun death rate for 1994 was the highest at 14.24 per 100,000 people. Asian countries had the lowest rates followed by England and Wales. In 1994, the U.S. accounted for 45 percent of the 88,649 gun deaths in those 36 nations."

Nice "fact" that doesn't mean a whole lot. The larger % of the 14.42 number are suicides for one thing.

Also, getting rid of guns doesn't eliminate the problem. The rate of unnatural deaths is higher (by far) in Estonia, Hungary, Finland, Denmark, France, Brazil, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Mexico and Portugal.

They just found other means to kill others and themselves.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 09:54 pm
RIght to Carry: Pro and Con
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 04:44 am
Hey, after 34 years ZPG (Zero Population Growth) is now called Population Connection.

Could this be somehow related to guns?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 05:15 am
When the gun owning by people is restricted this gives unilateral advantage to felons, since they do not respect laws like the law-abiding citizens do. In the former USSR only two categories of civilians had weapons: cops and criminals. And the plain person having met an armed robber in absence of a cop around had nothing to protect himself with. The only thing helped the plain citizens not to be extinguished: the very low level of serious violent crime under the Communists (drunk brawls to be disregarded: participants were usually unarmed). But this was provided by excessively tough laws and enforcement methods, and not by disarmament of population.
0 Replies