Everyone goes to Heaven.

Terry

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 10:47 pm
echi wrote:
I'm not sure if I believe in the idea of "consciousness", but I am interested in taking a look at some of the evidence you refer to. Do you know where I can find it? (I'll do some searching on my own, too, and see what I can dig up.)

The best book I read on the subject was "The Feeling of What Happens: Body and Emotion in the Making of Consciousness " by Antonio Damasio. I am currently reading "The Quest for Consciousness: A Neurobiological Approach" by Christof Koch, which is a bit more technical.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 10:49 pm
neologist wrote:
Perhaps without realizing it, Terry was referring to the words at Psalm 146:4, speaking of a person's death as when "he goes back to his ground;
In that day his thoughts do perish."

You have quoted that particular verse to me numerous times, but I put no stock in the philosophical musings of men who knew far less than I do about neurobiology - but occasionally happened to get something right. Smile
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 01:41 am
Intrepid wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
This life is all there is, kiddos, you get this one shot at doing it right or doing it the way you want which in some cases is the same thing.

Then, pzzzzzt, it's over for you.

Joe(all the other stuff is wishful thinking)Nation

On what do you base this pearl of widsom? I could understand if you indicated that this was your opinion, but you are so dog sure that one would wonder where you get your inside information.

Hi, Intrepid,

Yes. Tis my opinion based as it is on observing the dead.

Would it be less in your face if I changed all the yous to Is? Okay.

Quote:
This life is all there is, kiddos, I get this one shot at doing it right or doing it the way I want which in some cases is the same thing.

Then, pzzzzzt, it's over.

Now, for me, tis enough. I used to hang on to all the extra embroidery of believing in afterlifes, of personal saviors (are there impersonal ones?) and living my life based on trying to figure out what for the love of god was the Love of God, but I gave all that up and boiled life down to that little square of items I put on my posts:

Keep your word,
presume nothing,
take nothing personally,
do your best.
Run, not fast, but steady.
Run for your life.

What's been interesting to me to observe in these past very few years is how clear, how uninhibited, life becomes when one lives simply here, in this moment, honestly, without presumption, doing the best one can.

And who could ask for anything more than this life? It seems rather selfish to want to go on existing forever and forever when this existence is so sensational in itself. I have to tell you I am happy living this life and haven't any need for add-ons or do-overs, but that's just me.

It's unimportant to me if consciousness exists on it's own. It's fun to think about, but beyond any control I have. I'm here now. Sometime, not too soon I hope, I'll be dead as any carp in the market.

Neither I nor the carp will have any sense of what follows.

Joe(none whatsoever)Nation
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:40 am
Terry wrote:
neologist wrote:
Perhaps without realizing it, Terry was referring to the words at Psalm 146:4, speaking of a person's death as when "he goes back to his ground;
In that day his thoughts do perish."

You have quoted that particular verse to me numerous times, but I put no stock in the philosophical musings of men who knew far less than I do about neurobiology - but occasionally happened to get something right. Smile
I certainly hope God does not require a degree in neurobiology to earn his approval.

I was simply referring to the fact that the obvious consequence of death has been known for thousands of years.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 08:59 am
Joe Nation wrote:
This life is all there is, kiddos, you get this one shot at doing it right or doing it the way you want which in some cases is the same thing.

Then, pzzzzzt, it's over for you.

WIthout using the bible or any relgion I MUST TOTALLY DISAGREE.

ENERGY only transforms right from one state into another.

Well sorry that has to go the same with LIFE energy too.
Life energy is just more than our bodies.
It is more than the cells in our head.

Havent you ever been looking at something then all of a sudden felt like you were looking through windows instead of eyes? I have. There is more to us than just the body that we see.

THERE IS SOMETHING WITHIN.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 10:53 am
neologist wrote:
echi wrote:
Great. My thread has deteriorated into a Bible study! That's fine, I guess, except that I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT. Confused
You understand the Bible by reasoning it out, don't you? I mean, it is a collection of words, and how you interpret those words depends on your own judgment. So the Bible can introduce you to new ideas that would never occur to you, otherwise. But it is only by reason that we can accept any idea as being "true".
So, IF you agree with that, then what use is the Bible in a discussion/debate about what happens when we die? Or, more to the point, is it necessary to use Biblical terminology?
You were the one who said heaven. Razz
OK, Heph. But in Psalms 146:4 It speaks about the one who dies "In that day his thoughts do perish."

Of course, if you've read enough of my posts, you will see where I speak of a resurrection and of the fact that there will be some from earth who will live in heaven.

146:3, 4
3Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help. 4His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

The Hebrew word for thoughts:
6250 `eshtonah esh-to-naw' from 6245; thinking:--thought.

So our main point is that you said when you are dead you are dead right? However neo if you look at vs 3 and 4 it again appears it's talking about life, not really death because if you put all your trust and dependance on people to lead you, tell you what to do, direct your life, etc... you will be at a loss when they are gone because their thoughts perish or cease to exist when they are gone and are no longer there to help you.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 01:25 pm
R i i g h t. . .

But, that's not all, folks.

You may find more of my astoundingly succinct observations on this page:

http://able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2219099#2219099

The discussion between Scott and me is enlightening.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:38 pm
*sigh*
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:44 pm
Okay. . .

Now what did I do? Sad
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 12:25 am
Awww... nothing neo. I promise. I just ran out of things to say...

For now....

Hehehe...
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 04:37 pm
Terry--
Thank you for the book recomendations. I looked at some reviews of the first one. It looks like the author is claiming that consciousness is somehow a product of the brain, or that consciousness is a result of thought processes. That sounds all right to me, but I don't understand the need to make a distinction between "consciousness" and "thinking".
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 06:26 pm
Quote:
WIthout using the bible or any relgion I MUST TOTALLY DISAGREE.

ENERGY only transforms right from one state into another.

Well sorry that has to go the same with LIFE energy too.
Life energy is just more than our bodies.
It is more than the cells in our head.

Havent you ever been looking at something then all of a sudden felt like you were looking through windows instead of eyes? I have. There is more to us than just the body that we see.

THERE IS SOMETHING WITHIN.

You're only right about the energy transforming from one state to another.
There is no such thing as LIFE energy, there is only energy. Yes, we are a complex complicated mass of cells and gases, but about two minutes after your respiratory system shuts down, your circulatory system will shudder, stall and then shut down as well. Your brain may keep synapses firing for about five or six minutes more, but that's it.

The worms will enjoy several hearty meals and fertilize a couple of square yards of grass and daisies with my energy, that is unless I've let it all go up in smoke.

Who cares if there is a life after death? Isn't this one good enough? If the answer is no, then do something to make it better.

Joe(I used to be a hippie way back when... yeah, we saw the windows)Nation
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 08:52 pm
I'm thinking maybe science/medicine could use an extra body to study when I'm gone.

Hey, not every day you get such a magnificent specimen !!! Razz

I don't even care if med students use me for practical jokes. I could be an extra in Weekend at Bernies 6 for all I'm gonna care !
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 09:09 pm
Re: Everyone goes to Heaven.
echi wrote:
I don't accept the whole eternal damnation idea. Of course, there can be rough spots along the way, but eventually you learn to get past it. In a certain sense, I think suffering is a choice. I mean, isn't suffering caused by holding onto false beliefs....

Not all of it. Some suffering is caused by ordinary bad luck, and still other suffering is caused by the evil or stupidity of others.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 09:22 pm
gungasnake--
I'm thinking like this. If I stupidly walk into a garage without any shoes on, and then have the bad luck to step on a nail that's sticking straight up, that's gonna hurt like hellfire. But if I let go of the belief that I have a body, then it shouldn't hurt, anymore. Right? (Oh, I just KNOW you're gonna agree!)
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 01:18 am
LOL echi!
0 Replies