Everyone goes to Heaven.

neologist

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 01:46 pm
What you seem to be describing seems like a not to desirable state of affairs. . .
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 02:43 pm
wow...that link wolfe provided was really disturbing.

I watched a documentary the other day, and one simple thing was said that really caused me to take a step back and consider the meaning of hell.

The documentary was called "Women in Black" about Catholic School Nuns. I watched with interest as I went through 12 years of Catholic School.

Much of it was really funny....well, funny in the way that someone who was taught by nuns and sat in a room with 49 other six and seven year olds would find the humor. It makes you realize how tough you must have been to be able to laugh at some of the stuff they said and did.

Anyway....one woman said the following about hell.

We were taught you went to hell if you commited a mortal sin, which included eating meat on Fridays.
So, here we have, sitting in hell because of their sins; A thirteen year old boy with his pants around his ankles and a Playboy magazine in his hand.....A sailor who KNOWINGLY ate a Slim Jim as he crossed the International Date Line, into a Friday.......and Hitler.

We can laugh at that, but some people really believed they would go to hell if they ate meat on a Friday, and died before they could get to confession.

So, what happened to all the people who went to hell because of eating a baloney sandwich, and then the rules where changed?

Did they get a pass out of hell? Or, was it too bad, so sad.....you're stuck forever?

Where does one draw the line at the unforgiveable? Where does God draw the line?

By what is written by man, said to be inspired by God, in a book?
Some ink on paper that is claimed to be the word of God is larger than the cosmos?

I doubt that in the extreme.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 09:55 pm
neologist wrote:
What you seem to be describing seems like a not to desirable state of affairs. . .

Yeah? Well, desire aint all it's cracked up to be.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 10:02 pm
Very nicely put Chai Tea.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 10:08 pm
That's pretty hilarious, Chai.
I am a recovering catholic, myself. It's really awful the way they indoctrinate the little kids, like that. Even when you grow up and think you've gotten over all that nonsense, sometimes parts of it try to come back in. That's been my experience, anyway. Especially during some intense crisis situation, or when I feel really ill... But on the plus side, it has motivated me to really think about a lot of things that I, otherwise, may never have even considered. (Maybe it'll make dying easier!)
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 11:58 am
Re: Everyone goes to Heaven.
echi wrote:
I don't accept the whole eternal damnation idea. Of course, there can be rough spots along the way, but eventually you learn to get past it. In a certain sense, I think suffering is a choice. I mean, isn't suffering caused by holding onto false beliefs... separating one's self from God? And isn't a dead person someone who has let go of every false belief, thereby ending any concept of suffering (as well as every other concept)? Sounds like Heaven to me.

Echi... Good to see you. Smile

Ok, so I consulted with the voices in my head. Here's what they said:

One said: "Hell yeah there's a hell... don't you see the handbasket you are in???"

One said: "Hell is only for the REALLY wicked people. You know the ones that go to church."

One said: "Well if there is no hell where does satan come from?"

One said: "This is the way... walk ye in it."

Now, I'm not certain which voice to believe... Can you help me out here?

LOL kidding... only kidding...

Ok seriously though, IMO eternal damnation isn't unfair or unjust if a person is given a way to avoid it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 12:07 pm
Re: Everyone goes to Heaven.
hephzibah wrote:
. . . eternal damnation isn't unfair or unjust if a person is given a way to avoid it.
What finite sin deserves infinite punishment?
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 12:08 pm
Good question neo. I believe they're listed in the bible somewhere aren't they?
0 Replies

koteet

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 12:12 pm
I had answered >>>>> No, some will suffer . . . .

But I didn't totally mean that.

The question has two parts: ) the suffering, and 2) the forever and forever element which are not necessarily tied together.

The Bible says, some will suffer, as in not going to heaven, but they will not suffer "forever and ever." They will - in today's lingo - simply shut down. The one who will suffer forever and ever will be satan, the adversary, the one who influences sinners.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 12:13 pm
Interesting koteet... So then what did Jesus mean when He said, "There will be weeping and knashing of teeth..."? That sounds like suffering to me. Shocked
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 12:15 pm
"The wage sin pays is death." (Romans 6:23)

Death is final; but it is also finite.
0 Replies

koteet

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 12:19 pm
I said I agree with the suffering part - but not the forever and forever part.
0 Replies

koteet

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 12:22 pm
Yes to suffering - but not forever and ever. In God's mercy, they will not be allowed to live on.

It will only be satan who will burn forever as he is spirit.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 12:27 pm
into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."
0 Replies

koteet

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 12:43 pm
I stand corrected. False prophets and those they misled will have to share satan's lot. (Rev 20:10)

Rev 14:9-11 - and they shall have no rest, day and night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of the beast.

Rev 21:8 - the fearful, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, whoremongers, sorcerers, idolaters, liars shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone - the second death.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 12:44 pm
And what about the above scripture koteet? Who exactly is that talking about?
0 Replies

koteet

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 12:46 pm
Meaning, the original question was correct.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 12:51 pm
Sure. I never said it wasn't. Smile Oops... I'm guilty of not reading the whole thread... *sigh* Did I miss something here? Let me go back and read... hehehe...
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:10 pm
I'll go along with this to a point, except that Satan is not immortal. Once the issue of God's sovereignty has been settled, he and all other rebels will have been consigned to everlasting death with no hope of resurrection.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:13 pm
But isn't everlasting death a form of immortality? How can it be "everlasting" if the one in it isn't immortal?
0 Replies