Everyone goes to Heaven.

koteet

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:17 pm
You, two, go ahead and debate. I'm tied to a deadline. See you, next.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:18 pm
One of the synonyms listed for everlasting is 'permanent'

Source

Does that help?
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:28 pm
I fail to see how that answers my question neo... Razz
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:29 pm
OK; when you're dead, you're dead. Permanently.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:31 pm
Right. So where does the bible say that then?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:35 pm
"For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten. 6 Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they have no portion anymore to time indefinite in anything that has to be done under the sun." (Ecclesastes 9:5,6)
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:46 pm
Eccl 9:5,6

5 For the living know that they will die;
But the dead know nothing,
And they have no more reward,
For the memory of them is forgotten.
6 Also their love, their hatred, and their envy have now perished;
Nevermore will they have a share
In anything done under the sun...

Sounds to me neo like the author here is actually referring to life, not death. As in, once you die all the things you did will basically cease to exist because you are gone...
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:51 pm
Hey, Hephzibah! Razz Good to see you, too.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 02:11 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 02:25 pm
Great. My thread has deteriorated into a Bible study! That's fine, I guess, except that I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT. Confused
You understand the Bible by reasoning it out, don't you? I mean, it is a collection of words, and how you interpret those words depends on your own judgment. So the Bible can introduce you to new ideas that would never occur to you, otherwise. But it is only by reason that we can accept any idea as being "true".
So, IF you agree with that, then what use is the Bible in a discussion/debate about what happens when we die? Or, more to the point, is it necessary to use Biblical terminology?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 04:59 pm
echi wrote:
Great. My thread has deteriorated into a Bible study! That's fine, I guess, except that I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT. Confused
You understand the Bible by reasoning it out, don't you? I mean, it is a collection of words, and how you interpret those words depends on your own judgment. So the Bible can introduce you to new ideas that would never occur to you, otherwise. But it is only by reason that we can accept any idea as being "true".
So, IF you agree with that, then what use is the Bible in a discussion/debate about what happens when we die? Or, more to the point, is it necessary to use Biblical terminology?
You were the one who said heaven. Razz
OK, Heph. But in Psalms 146:4 It speaks about the one who dies "In that day his thoughts do perish."

Of course, if you've read enough of my posts, you will see where I speak of a resurrection and of the fact that there will be some from earth who will live in heaven.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 06:42 pm
Good point, neo. I'll just let you guys have it then. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 09:13 pm
Sure. Lay the guilt trip on good old neo. Laughing
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 09:32 pm
A little more guilt ain't gonna kill you neo ! Laughing
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 09:36 pm
http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/theyareontome.gif
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 01:01 am
NOOOOOO echi!!! Don't go away! We can talk on your terms! Twisted Evil It's all neo's fault... HE started it not me! I just asked a question!

hehehe...

Ok, seriously though... I will be jumping back in here in a bit. I'm working both jobs tomorrow and it's way past my bed time right now... sooo... could be Saturday before I find my way back here... maybe tomorrow if I'm feeling real spunky still after working 14 hrs with a job interview inbetween jobs... LOL
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 01:19 am
This life is all there is, kiddos, you get this one shot at doing it right or doing it the way you want which in some cases is the same thing.

Then, pzzzzzt, it's over for you.

Joe(all the other stuff is wishful thinking)Nation
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 08:50 am
Oh, all right, heph... I'll stick around, I guess. I'm shocked that someone actually wants me to. Usually, I feel like a thread killer. "Oh, crap, it's echi again. Let's go somewhere else." Sad
I should have given more thought to the title of this thread, but it is what it is, and you guys obviously have the right to take it wherever. It's all good.
I'm glad Joe Nation popped in because, even though his post leaves a lot of questions, at least I get what he's saying!!!
So, Joe... If, like you say, "it's over for you" when this life is over, I wonder what that means. Do we all share the same definition of "life"? What does "you", or "I", really mean? The answer to the bigger question is probably hidden in smaller ones, like those.
I think neo and I found one point of agreement, at least... that what we usually call "consciousness" is really just thought processes. (I know you'll put me in my place if I have misrepresented you, neo.)
And, Joe Nation, I think I may also agree with you. I agree that when my life (whatever that means) is over, then my identity (my thoughts, my person) will somehow be over, also. I guess what I'm getting at is this: Is my personal identity the real "me", or is it just something else that I picked-up? ...Just another thing that I will eventually have to let go? That is what I tend to think. But that leaves another question... My hand cannot let go of itself, so how is it that "I" can let go of my "self"? Who is letting go?
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 11:19 am
echi wrote:
Oh, all right, heph... I'll stick around, I guess. I'm shocked that someone actually wants me to. Usually, I feel like a thread killer. "Oh, crap, it's echi again. Let's go somewhere else." Sad
I should have given more thought to the title of this thread, but it is what it is, and you guys obviously have the right to take it wherever. It's all good.
I'm glad Joe Nation popped in because, even though his post leaves a lot of questions, at least I get what he's saying!!!
So, Joe... If, like you say, "it's over for you" when this life is over, I wonder what that means. Do we all share the same definition of "life"? What does "you", or "I", really mean? The answer to the bigger question is probably hidden in smaller ones, like those.
I think neo and I found one point of agreement, at least... that what we usually call "consciousness" is really just thought processes. (I know you'll put me in my place if I have misrepresented you, neo.)
And, Joe Nation, I think I may also agree with you. I agree that when my life (whatever that means) is over, then my identity (my thoughts, my person) will somehow be over, also. I guess what I'm getting at is this: Is my personal identity the real "me", or is it just something else that I picked-up? ...Just another thing that I will eventually have to let go? That is what I tend to think. But that leaves another question... My hand cannot let go of itself, so how is it that "I" can let go of my "self"? Who is letting go?

Oh no echi... you are not a thread killer... I am! (pssst.... just between you and me... I pride myself in my great and awesome thread killing achievements... but shhhh... don't tell anyone...:wink:) LOL If given the chance I bet I could kill one before it even gets off the ground! Whoooo! I thought I'd sneak in for a second while I had the chance here... So what don't you understand echi? I guess I didn't feel bad about talking about the bible since that's where the concept of "eternal damnation" and heaven came from, right? Oops... I thought I asked a question, but I just made a statement. I guess that rules out you answering my question... hehe...
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 11:25 am
Joe Nation wrote:
This life is all there is, kiddos, you get this one shot at doing it right or doing it the way you want which in some cases is the same thing.

Then, pzzzzzt, it's over for you.

Joe(all the other stuff is wishful thinking)Nation

On what do you base this pearl of widsom? I could understand if you indicated that this was your opinion, but you are so dog sure that one would wonder where you get your inside information.
0 Replies