The necessity of religion

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 09:32 am
So saith the peanut gallery . . . do not doubt it . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 09:34 am
Emoticon defiantly placed. Razz
0 Replies

pararover

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 11:47 pm
Mame wrote:
At some point in an adult's life, one realizes one no longer needs someone to 'look after them'. This is the whole point of the gradual learning process, is it not, so a person can be self-sufficient?

I respect your views Mame, but I still want to ask you this: what maks you think that a person can ever be self-sufficient? You get up in the morning to find the newspaper in front of your door. Your car's broken down, so you catch a cab. You dont feel like cooking your food, so you order a pizza.

I am only citing examples from everyday life, from events that occur in the lives of common people like you and me(pardon me for that assumption if I am wrong) I can go on and on. The point that I want to make is that no matter how hard you try you cannot live in self-sufficiently. You have got to utilise the services that others have to offer to you (unless you are marooned on a desert island!!!). Life is filled with 'symbiosis' at every level.

So who is an adult? I can't answer that question right now. I dont even know how being an adult is different from being an orphan.

What I am convinced of is that a higher level of this symbiosis(for want of a better word again) exists between me and God. The word symbiosis seems to be a misnomer for me now because I don't know if I have anything to offer back to God in exchange for the comfort that I derive from Him.

Regarding your view that we can always derive comfort from our family, friends, relatives, well, I am not sure if they are willing to share my burden of sins(not sorrows). I believe that only God has the power (and authority) to wipe them out. That is why God is my only true friend.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 06:36 am
pararover wrote:
Regarding your view that we can always derive comfort from our family, friends, relatives, well, I am not sure if they are willing to share my burden of sins(not sorrows). I believe that only God has the power (and authority) to wipe them out. That is why God is my only true friend.

This is entirely self-referential. One cannot sin unless one commits an offense against the "laws" of "god." If there were no god, there would be no sin. There would still be crime in that one can offend against society's laws, and one might argue that one indulges in vice when one does that which is harmful to oneself. However, sin can only exist if a god is known to exist. One can be fairly certain of the existence of one's family and one's acquaintance (except, of course, that any one or several of them may have died since one last saw them), but i have as yet seen no one produce "god" for an introduction.

God is your imaginary friend, he or she is not someone to whom you can point with the assurance that others will see what you claim to see.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 07:53 am
pararover wrote:
Mame wrote:
At some point in an adult's life, one realizes one no longer needs someone to 'look after them'. This is the whole point of the gradual learning process, is it not, so a person can be self-sufficient?

I respect your views Mame, but I still want to ask you this: what maks you think that a person can ever be self-sufficient? You get up in the morning to find the newspaper in front of your door. Your car's broken down, so you catch a cab. You dont feel like cooking your food, so you order a pizza.

I am only citing examples from everyday life, from events that occur in the lives of common people like you and me(pardon me for that assumption if I am wrong) I can go on and on. The point that I want to make is that no matter how hard you try you cannot live in self-sufficiently. You have got to utilise the services that others have to offer to you (unless you are marooned on a desert island!!!). Life is filled with 'symbiosis' at every level.

So who is an adult? I can't answer that question right now. I dont even know how being an adult is different from being an orphan.

What I am convinced of is that a higher level of this symbiosis(for want of a better word again) exists between me and God. The word symbiosis seems to be a misnomer for me now because I don't know if I have anything to offer back to God in exchange for the comfort that I derive from Him.

I was talking about mental or emotional self-sufficiency, weren't you? Not needing the sustenance of a belief system and/or God to help me through life's hurdles. Nothing to do with buying a newspaper or paying a cabbie to get me to work. And even that doesn't make me a dependent; it makes me a consumer.

When I grieve, I do turn to family and friends; I don't pray because I don't believe there's a god... I may as well be praying to the wind. And good family and friends will be there for you, will they not? Why would you need your sins and sorrows wiped out? I don't understand that. What's wrong with just dealing with your issues and moving on?
0 Replies

lightfoot

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 10:35 pm
Mame.
Quote...When I grieve, I do turn to family and friends; I don't pray because I don't believe there's a god... I may as well be praying to the wind. And good family and friends will be there for you, will they not? Why would you need your sins and sorrows wiped out? I don't understand that. What's wrong with just dealing with your issues and moving on?... unquote.

Sorry to tell you, but you are a minority "normal" you don't believe there's a God.... so there aint one, But if you want to be the "Majority normal" then you can "believe" there is one, and low and behold there is one. but we minority "normal" one's, know what help one can expect from their God.
0 Replies

pararover

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 07:43 am
Setanta wrote:
This is entirely self-referential. One cannot sin unless one commits an offense against the "laws" of "god." If there were no god, there would be no sin. There would still be crime in that one can offend against society's laws, and one might argue that one indulges in vice when one does that which is harmful to oneself. However, sin can only exist if a god is known to exist. One can be fairly certain of the existence of one's family and one's acquaintance (except, of course, that any one or several of them may have died since one last saw them), but i have as yet seen no one produce "god" for an introduction.

God is your imaginary friend, he or she is not someone to whom you can point with the assurance that others will see what you claim to see.

You are partially right and partially wrong.
Yes, it was indeed self-referential. God is a totally personal experience. If you have felt that I have been too violent in expressing my views, then I apologise for that.

Let me clarify now that I believe in God because I have experienced Him, His Infinite Grace and Compassion. There are hardly any words that can do justice to my experience. I really cannot go around and convince everybody of God's existence, because that is not my purpose, nor do I have the authority or power to do so. Only God has that.
Therefore, I cannot prove His existence to you. Nor can you prove His non-existence to me, because my experience would not allow me that.

You say that He is my imaginary friend. What makes you think that something that is imaginary is also false? There are some times when the imaginary becomes a more acceptable premise than the perceived reality. For example, take matter. If you break down matter to smaller bits, finally you will reach the atomic level, and what do you find in the atom??? electrons revolving around the nucleus. But most of the atom (much much more than 99%) is empty space!!!. You go inside the nucleus into protons and neutrons, they too seem to be made up of empty space mostly, apart from quarks. So what you think you is tangible at the macro level, turns out to be empty in the micro level. So, our very existence seems to be based on something that we cannot yet comprehend - emptiness.
So what is Real, and what is Imaginary?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 11:28 pm
This is a point worth repeating, pararover; and I thank you for bringing it up.

If I see something, and I am the only one who saw it, does that make it 'imaginary' ?

True, I have no 'scientific' evidence that I saw it , i.e. it is not repeatable, testable , etc

But all events of history are non-repeatable. We have circumstantial evidence for some of these events and we have the testimony of eyewitnesses to some of these events and if we are really fortunate we have both.

But still these events aren't 'scientifically' provable. That doesn't mean we cannot know they happened with a great amount of certainty, does it?

There are many events in history which are established well beyond a reasonable doubt, and without any 'scientific' proof.

So, is it reasonable to imply that since we lack 'scientific' proof of God that His existence and working in human history is not possible?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 12:28 pm
Quote:

So, is it reasonable to imply that since we lack 'scientific' proof of God that His existence and working in human history is not possible?

Not at all.
It is, however, reasonable to assume it so implausible as to be unlikely to the point of being negligible.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 01:57 pm
Re: The necessity of religion
Monolith wrote:
I'm an atheist. There is nothing which suggests to me a god in the form that most religious texts describe. That said, ive come to feel that religion (in any form) is an absolute necessity and that atheism is abnormal.

Nearly every centenarian is religious. There was an article in National Geographic last year that mentioned how a common theme among the worlds oldest people was a strong faith. NatG isn't exactly a scholarly publication, but it's not TIME either. But you dont have to look very hard to find even stronger evidence:

http://ageing.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/27/2/207
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=10680272&query_hl=15&itool=pubmed_docsum

Certainly there are other factors to long-life than faith, but its very telling that faith is such a large part of all of these peoples lives. Religion has been a part of human society since our first steps as modern humans. Even before modern humans... there's evidence that neanderthals practiced ritual burials. Perhaps our reliance on religion has evolved to become a necessity? Perhaps those of us who don't have faith are actually harming ourselves?

I may be repeating someone else, here, but it seems that people are more likely to accept a religious belief as they get older, not because religion is "natural", but because they feel forced to ask certain questions, and religion offers the most convenient package of ready-made answers.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 08:56 pm
real life wrote:

If I see something, and I am the only one who saw it, does that make it 'imaginary' ?

True, I have no 'scientific' evidence that I saw it , i.e. it is not repeatable, testable , etc

But all events of history are non-repeatable. We have circumstantial evidence for some of these events and we have the testimony of eyewitnesses to some of these events and if we are really fortunate we have both.

But still these events aren't 'scientifically' provable. That doesn't mean we cannot know they happened with a great amount of certainty, does it?

There are many events in history which are established well beyond a reasonable doubt, and without any 'scientific' proof.

It's possible. So is LastThursdayism. Leprechauns and unicorns are certainly much easier to allow as possibly having existed than a magic being who made the whole world...(oh...and, apparently for decoration, the universe)
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 09:16 pm
Eorl, do you agree that historical events are not 'scientifically proven', but are accepted as factual based on a different standard of evidence?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 09:20 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

Not at all.
It is, however, reasonable to assume it so implausible as to be unlikely to the point of being negligible.

I thank you for honestly admitting that your position is based on an assumption.

On what basis, besides your bias, do you conclude your assumption to be reasonable?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 20 Sep, 2006 09:36 pm
real life wrote:
Eorl, do you agree that historical events are not 'scientifically proven', but are accepted as factual based on a different standard of evidence?

No, not really...and what do you mean by a "different standard of evidence"?

Historical events vary between those I witnessed myself that I can be 99.9% of ...to Jesus walking on water which I can be 0.0000001% sure of.

Even modern events with plenty of evidence and witnesses isn't automatically accepted by everyone.....take the idea of a plane hitting the pentagon for instance.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 07:44 am
Eorl wrote:
real life wrote:

'A different standard of evidence' means one that is not scientific. I thought that much was clear.

Eorl wrote:
Historical events vary between those I witnessed myself that I can be 99.9% of ...to Jesus walking on water which I can be 0.0000001% sure of.

Can you 'scientifically' prove an event that you alone witnessed?

Eorl wrote:
Even modern events with plenty of evidence and witnesses isn't automatically accepted by everyone.....take the idea of a plane hitting the pentagon for instance.

Please assure us that you're not claiming that it didn't happen.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 05:11 pm
Quote:

On what basis, besides your bias, do you conclude your assumption to be reasonable?

Well, besides my 'bias', (You say this as if your opinion is somehow more objective, psshhhaw) I have the fact that there is no measurable evidence to support the existence of a god in the first place, and further that there is nothing that 'divine interference' explains that can not be more easily explained by naturalistic means, in accord with occams razor.
There simply is no sound reason to assume your imaginary friend is real.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 05:23 pm
real life wrote:
Eorl wrote:
real life wrote:

'A different standard of evidence' means one that is not scientific. I thought that much was clear.

Eorl wrote:

Can you 'scientifically' prove an event that you alone witnessed?

Eorl wrote:

Please assure us that you're not claiming that it didn't happen.

Yes, you can scientifically prove an event that I alone witnessed, or even events that no-one witnessed. Forensic science does this routinely.

No, I'm not claiming that it didn't happen....I'm claiming there are those who do claim that.

As for where you're heading with all this....I think Dok's post previous to mine covers the situation perfectly.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 11:25 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

Well, besides my 'bias', (You say this as if your opinion is somehow more objective, psshhhaw) I have the fact that there is no measurable evidence to support the existence of a god in the first place, and further that there is nothing that 'divine interference' explains that can not be more easily explained by naturalistic means, in accord with occams razor.

So there is no 'natural' evidence of the 'supernatural'.

And this is supposed to strike us as a profound insight on your part?

Are you also going to inform us that our tongues cannot taste bright light; and our noses cannot smell a sound?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 06:35 pm
real life wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

Are you also going to inform us that our tongues cannot taste bright light; and our noses cannot smell a sound?

Weak sauce real. You have not established 'supernatural' as a meaningful term. You attempt to create a bifurcation where none can be shown to exist.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 08:04 pm
Doktor S wrote:
real life wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

Weak sauce real. You have not established 'supernatural' as a meaningful term.

Defining 'supernatural' would likely do no good in a discussion with you, since you have a history of making up your own definitions.

But here goes:

from http://merriamwebster.com/dictionary/supernatural

Quote:
su·per·nat·u·ral
Pronunciation: "sü-p&r-'na-ch&-r&l, -'nach-r&l
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Medieval Latin supernaturalis, from Latin super- + natura nature
1 : of or relating to an order of existence beyond the visible observable universe

Doktor S wrote:
You attempt to create a bifurcation where none can be shown to exist.

A rather absurd position: There is no 'natural' evidence of the 'supernatural'.
0 Replies