The necessity of religion

Doktor S

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 09:36 am
Monolith wrote:

Im curious because i think there is some biology behind faith... that there's something ingrained in our DNA that predisposes us towards belief in something greater than ourselves, no matter what evidence we see to the contrary.

As far as I can tell, this is the crux of the issue. Spirituality, and hence religion, in my opinion, probably evolved, partially at least, as a counter-mechanism to the emerging awareness of mortality by our primitive ancestors.
That the overwhelming majority of the human population subscribes to some form of spirituality speaks to me as evidence of this.
0 Replies

Lekatt

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 02:32 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Monolith wrote:

Im curious because i think there is some biology behind faith... that there's something ingrained in our DNA that predisposes us towards belief in something greater than ourselves, no matter what evidence we see to the contrary.

As far as I can tell, this is the crux of the issue. Spirituality, and hence religion, in my opinion, probably evolved, partially at least, as a counter-mechanism to the emerging awareness of mortality by our primitive ancestors.
That the overwhelming majority of the human population subscribes to some form of spirituality speaks to me as evidence of this.

Spirituality comes with experience, it has nothing to do with religion which is of the intellect. Spirituality is of emotions, feelings, intuition, it is a knowing beyond the intellect. You will not find spirituality in DNA, or brain mapping. It is personal, you will know about spirituality when you experience it.
0 Replies

pararover

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 09:17 am
God is the goal. All religions are mere pathways to reach this goal. So you cannot say that there is a Muslim God, a Hindu God, a Christian God, or a Buddhist God. My religion is a only a vehicle, nothing more, nor less. The choice is upto me as to whether I am going to ride it or not.
Anybody is perfectly entitled to declare his atheism. But he will still acknowledge Truth, Righteousness, Peace, Love and Nonviolence to be cardinal principles governing all our lives...and God is ALL this and much more. But still, a religious man, I feel, has an egde over his atheist counterpart because he enjoys a kind of a sense of security(for want of a better word) that, "Yes, there is someone ABOVE to look after me, someone ABOVE Who will comfort me when I am down". This is exactly the same kind of feeling that a child has because it has its parents who would look after it. So this leads me to conclude that an atheist is more or less like an orphan.
Where does spirituality come in? Well spirituality is nothing but the belief that there is a moral law binding the entire universe. To be 'Spiritual', it is very important to incorporate the 'Spirit' into the 'Ritual'.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 10:26 am
Nice theory but it doesn't fit me.

At some point in an adult's life, one realizes one no longer needs someone to 'look after them'. This is the whole point of the gradual learning process, is it not, so a person can be self-sufficient?

Other people, friends and family, can comfort and watch over a person, if need be.

I don't feel like an orphan. I feel like an adult.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 10:58 am
As I write this, I have only read page one of this interesting thread. Let me just say that even if religion promotes happiness and health that does not make it true. And I would rather be a depressed atheistic existentialist than a happy religlious (read superstitious) peasant.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 01:27 pm
JLNobody wrote:
As I write this, I have only read page one of this interesting thread. Let me just say that even if religion promotes happiness and health that does not make it true. And I would rather be a depressed atheistic existentialist than a happy religlious (read superstitious) peasant.
Providing, of course, that your point of view was correct.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 02:11 pm
Lekatt wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Monolith wrote:

Spirituality comes with experience, it has nothing to do with religion which is of the intellect. Spirituality is of emotions, feelings, intuition, it is a knowing beyond the intellect. You will not find spirituality in DNA, or brain mapping. It is personal, you will know about spirituality when you experience it.

Emotion, intellect, it's all the same; brain soup.
That you choose to invoke magic into this process isn't relevant to serious discussion.
0 Replies

Lekatt

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 02:24 pm
JLNobody wrote:

There is nothing superstitious about spirituality. Scientific research has already shown our consciousness will live after the death of the brain and body. Millions of people have experienced this phenomenon. It doesn't bother me that you disagree, that is ok, but it is not ok to degrade others thoughts and opinions.

If you are ever caught out on a small ship in the middle of a class 4 hurricane as I was once, you will understand why people have faith in something greater than themselves. The waves were 60-80 feet high.

Love
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 02:44 pm
Lekatt wrote:

There is nothing superstitious about spirituality. Scientific research has already shown our consciousness will live after the death of the brain and body.

Please direct me, and the countless others that would love to know, to serious peer reviewed scientific articles and research papers re:the proof of life after death.
Think about this for a second, lekatt; If this were so, don't you think it would be public knowledge by now? That would constitute the largest discovery in the history of science. Where are the nobel prizes?
Doesn't seem to me like the whole 'life after death' rig has managed to bite and claw its way out of the realm of superstition just yet.

Quote:

It doesn't bother me that you disagree, that is ok, but it is not ok to degrade others thoughts and opinions.

Actually, it is quite ok to scrutinize and dissect others ideas on a debate forum. In fact, that is the point. If the idea doesn't hold up to scrutiny, perhaps you would do well to change your methodology from 'crying wounded' to 'serious introspection' when you are unable to defend it.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 03:00 pm
Thanks, Doktor.
You might have added that fear is no support for the truth of religious mythologies. The higher the wave, the greater the evidence, Lekatt?
By the way, there is a strong divide between "spirituality" and "belief."
0 Replies

Lekatt

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 03:57 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Lekatt wrote:

There is nothing superstitious about spirituality. Scientific research has already shown our consciousness will live after the death of the brain and body.

Please direct me, and the countless others that would love to know, to serious peer reviewed scientific articles and research papers re:the proof of life after death.
Think about this for a second, lekatt; If this were so, don't you think it would be public knowledge by now? That would constitute the largest discovery in the history of science. Where are the nobel prizes?
Doesn't seem to me like the whole 'life after death' rig has managed to bite and claw its way out of the realm of superstition just yet.

Quote:

It doesn't bother me that you disagree, that is ok, but it is not ok to degrade others thoughts and opinions.

Actually, it is quite ok to scrutinize and dissect others ideas on a debate forum. In fact, that is the point. If the idea doesn't hold up to scrutiny, perhaps you would do well to change your methodology from 'crying wounded' to 'serious introspection' when you are unable to defend it.

You can find those research reports on my earlier post
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2251902#2251902

Since the first research by Dr.Raymond Moody a psychiatrist, 30 years ago the evidence has shown consciousness continues after death. Only recently the evidence has become to good for science to ignore.

Last month there was a special meeting of over 1500 scientists in France to discuss near death experiences, and soon there will be another large meeting in Houston at the medical center to talk over the research on NDEs. There are many universities now doing research on near death experiences both here and abroad. They are real, and soon science will have to accept the results. As for the general public, over 80 percent of them believe life continues after death. There have been millions of such experiences and it will be harder and harder for science to pass them by.

I don't wish to argue this with those who are not up to date on the research, it would be futile. Spirituality is looking more real everyday.

I will give an example of a NDE that shows why everyone is needing to know more and more about.

If your mind is made up, ok. That's alright with me. But I do wish you would read about them.

http://www.aleroy.com/FAQz05.htm

You are right in searching for truth, opinions, theories, and guesses don't count.

Some more recent news on NDEs can be found here.

http://www.aleroy.com/newsitems.htm

I will be happy to discuss informed questions about them. Spiritual experience are personal and happen the thousands every day. It is not likely that science will be able to negate them all.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 04:22 pm
Yes, I was a participant in that 'other' thread. I did, in fact, waste several hours of my time investigating your links, and found them to fall flat.
Your links indicate that there is interest in the subject of NDE, and people have attempted to investigate this putative phenomenon. What your links do not provide, however, is any sort of evidence save for the anecdotal, which is all but meaningless.
You are entitled to your faith, lekatt, as you are to your beliefs that spawned it. But by attempting to parade your beliefs as fact you leave yourself in quite the unsavory position as viewed by those with a fondness for intellectual honesty.
0 Replies

Lekatt

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 07:02 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Yes, I was a participant in that 'other' thread. I did, in fact, waste several hours of my time investigating your links, and found them to fall flat.
Your links indicate that there is interest in the subject of NDE, and people have attempted to investigate this putative phenomenon. What your links do not provide, however, is any sort of evidence save for the anecdotal, which is all but meaningless.
You are entitled to your faith, lekatt, as you are to your beliefs that spawned it. But by attempting to parade your beliefs as fact you leave yourself in quite the unsavory position as viewed by those with a fondness for intellectual honesty.

The research is and was done by qualified research scientists whose work was published in scientific journals like the "Lancet". I really don't care what you think of me personally, it just doesn't matter. What matters is truth, and the evidence is there. Do you really think thousands of scientists would meet to discuss near death experiences if it wasn't. If you should ever want to read the material I will be happy to discuss it with you, otherwise not. I do not have faith or believe in life after death, I know it is real having been there.

Love
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:58 pm
Lecat.
Quote..I really don't care what you think of me personally, it just doesn't matter. What matters is truth, and the evidence is there.. unquote.

Doctor 2 is not the only one reading what you say... so please, gives us more than just a heap of scientists discussing a supposed life after death.... after all, billions of humans have been discussing about Gods for thousands of years... closes's they've got so far.. is a heap of hot air ( or carbon dioxide ) please, don't add to it.

I also read your "other" thread and agree with Doctor 2 .
0 Replies

Lekatt

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 07:21 am
anton bonnier wrote:
Lecat.
Quote..I really don't care what you think of me personally, it just doesn't matter. What matters is truth, and the evidence is there.. unquote.

Doctor 2 is not the only one reading what you say... so please, gives us more than just a heap of scientists discussing a supposed life after death.... after all, billions of humans have been discussing about Gods for thousands of years... closes's they've got so far.. is a heap of hot air ( or carbon dioxide ) please, don't add to it.

I also read your "other" thread and agree with Doctor 2 .

The links are there for you to read if you want. They are solid scientific evidence. I can't make you read them. All I have heard from you and others is opinion, theory, and suppositions. If you think you are right, try presenting some real scientific evidence.

By the way, the name is Lekatt. I know you know how to spell it.

People who believe they can bully and push their beliefs onto others always fail. Show some real evidence as I have.

I really don't care whether you believe in God or not, or whether you believe in anything. My search is for truth. If you have better, show it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 07:25 am
Continued references to "scientists" does not demonstrate that any scientific evidence was presented. As Dok pointed out, these are simply anecdotes, and do not constitute evidence of anything other than what those interviewed believed they had experienced. It certainly offers no proof that human consciousness survives death. I can't say that it does or doesn't--i can say that Lekatt has provided no proof that it does.
0 Replies

Lekatt

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 09:12 am
Setanta wrote:
Continued references to "scientists" does not demonstrate that any scientific evidence was presented. As Dok pointed out, these are simply anecdotes, and do not constitute evidence of anything other than what those interviewed believed they had experienced. It certainly offers no proof that human consciousness survives death. I can't say that it does or doesn't--i can say that Lekatt has provided no proof that it does.

I can see that you also have not read the research.

Perhaps we just forget it. Somebody will tell you about in the future.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 09:13 am
It is precisely because i did read it that i am confident in stating that you have only anecdotes, and no scientific evidence. Too bad you cannot understand the distinction, but that's no fault of mine.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 09:30 am
Even if the consciousness lives for a few moments after we die (and I'm willing to agree to that, given the body of anecdotal evidence provided), we have no idea how long it lives; we can't ask any of those people since they're no longer dead.

Maybe we're all just a figment of someone's really bad imagination.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 09:31 am
Setanta wrote:
It is precisely because i did read it that i am confident in stating that you have only anecdotes, and no scientific evidence. Too bad you cannot understand the distinction, but that's no fault of mine.
Whereas the obvious consequence of death has been know for thousands of years.
Solomon wrote:
For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten. 6 Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they have no portion anymore to time indefinite in anything that has to be done under the sun.
(Ecclesiastes 9:5,6)
0 Replies