Anyone like Tennis?

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 10:47 am
@engineer,
I do remember Monica Selas grunting a lot, but not any women before that.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 02:27 pm
Arrrgghhhhhh..... Serena Williams out in the first round of the French. This was her year to win it all.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 03:33 pm
Yeah - got frustrated at herself when she lost the tiebreak, and melted down. Pity. She was playing so well...
engineer

Reply Tue 29 May, 2012 04:14 pm
@snood,
The common wisdom has been that at 30 Serena is much better off than others before her whose results slowed down dramatically at that point. That wisdom might be off base.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:43 am
@engineer,
Quite a match for both women, Serena Williams and Virginie Razzano:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/47613895/ns/tennis/

I disagree with the title premise, re aging being the matter, though I suppose it comes into it.
engineer

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:46 am
@ossobuco,
I'm still bummed. I haven't been able to bring myself to click on the tennis news sites. She was the only player I was really following this tournament.
engineer

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 11:17 am
@engineer,
Ok, I have to follow a little. Joker barely survives the quarters only to easily handle Federer in the semis. Nadal gets an easy trip to the finals. Final pick: the battle hardened #1 going for his career slam or the best clay court player in the history of the game looking to break Borg's record for French Open titles?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 02:26 pm
@engineer,
I feel Djokovic winning is an inevitability but I'm hoping to hear Nadal does it. On the other hand, if Joker (that what they call him?) wins, he will have deserved it.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 10:11 am
@ossobuco,
The Guardian tennis guy's play by play on the Djokovic-Nadal match:

(starts at the bottom of the page, last bit at the top)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jun/10/novak-djokovic-rafael-nadal-live
engineer

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:46 am
@ossobuco,
Can't believe we are rain delayed! Nadal walks all over Djokovic for 2.2 sets the suddenly Djokovic is completely unbeatable. Nadal finally wins a game and the rain kicks in.
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:56 am
@engineer,
I love to play both tennis and ping pong. However I get bored shitless while watching these and golf. Maybe its ADD.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2012 01:09 pm
@engineer,
Ahhh, called off, back mid day (there) tomorrow.
engineer

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 06:20 am
@ossobuco,
It will be very interesting to see how they come out of the locker room today. The story for Nadal is very straightforward. He's up, shown he can break Djokovic to get back into the fourth set and as long as the conditions are dry, that top-spin is just too much .... but if the conditions are a little wet, the heavier ball will not allow him the big top-spin shots and they will fall short and Djokovic will devour them. For Djokovic, he's played himself back into the match, is a break up in the fourth and can handle Nadal's serve pretty well ... but the strategy he came out with yesterday is not going to hack it. Yes, he won eight straight games in the drizzle but when the conditions are good, Nadal can outplay him from the baseline and it's worse when Djokovic gives up a lot of errors.

I wonder if we are going to see a different strategy from Djokovic or if he is going to double down on what was getting him killed yesterday.
engineer

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 03:20 pm
@engineer,
Well, that answers that question. Nadal is the man on clay.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 04:30 pm
Enjoyed yesterdays match but couldn't see the conclusion today.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2012 07:39 pm
@panzade,
I nevah see much.
Kidding, but I only see stuff from newslines.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 05:19 pm
Nadal shocked in second round of Wimbledon by the 100th-best player in the world! I hear Nadal behaved rather badly at this one - bumping his opponent(Lukas Rosol - a Czech) at crossover, complaining to the ref...
Ragman

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 05:21 pm
@snood,
Was it a cross-Czech? Or a bounced Czech?

The end of the world is nigh...(tennis players that have bad manners)
engineer

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 05:22 pm
@snood,
Wow! That leaves just the big two playing for the number one spot. If Federer wins it all and Djokovic looses in the semi's or earlier, Federer takes over number one. Nadal had a shot also but losing this early will cost him big points and there aren't many clay tournaments from here out to help him.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2012 05:29 pm
@snood,
I'd been "watching" all day but broke off to do other stuff.

Chihuahua!!
0 Replies