Anyone like Tennis?

panzade

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2019 02:05 pm
Best I ever saw Halep play.
engineer

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2019 02:37 pm
@panzade,
True, but Serena was terrible. Unforced errors everywhere and then she got conservative and Halep was in complete control. Love Serena but she's going to have to play a full schedule if she wants to be in match shape against the big dogs.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2019 03:08 pm
Quote:
What happened these last two weeks was that Williams had a table that was perfectly set leading up to the final. Despite, playing in the bracket labeled the “Group of Death,” Williams was able to avoid the six Grand Slam champions in the group (Kerber, Maria Sharapova, Garbiñe Muguruza, Ashleigh Barty, Samantha Stosur and Svetlana Kuznetsova). The final against 27-year-old Halep, the No. 7 seed, was Williams’ first match of the two-week tournament against a player considered to be on her level.

https://theundefeated.com/features/how-many-chances-does-serena-williams-have-left-to-break-the-record/

WOW!

My ears sure perk up when I hear this!

This is exceptionally poor performance from the tournament, they need to figure out a way to do better.
engineer

Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2019 03:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
It wasn't the tournament, it was a series of fortunate events for Williams. All of those top players ended up losing early in the draw. If the draw had run true to the seedings, Serena would have faced several tough matches.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2019 11:42 am

watching the scoreboard... men's final is a real humdinger...

https://imgur.com/eTkU2bo.jpg
engineer

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2019 11:57 am
@Region Philbis,
That was a barnburner at 11 all. Fed has to hold to create the first ever fifth set tiebreaker at Wimbledon.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2019 12:12 pm
@engineer,
The best final ever. (The first set lasted with 58 minutes longer than the entire women's final the day before.)
engineer

Reply Sun 14 Jul, 2019 04:58 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I don't know why people get so excited about Federer-Nadal. Yes, they had some amazing matches ten years ago. If you want the best rivalry on grass today, you clearly want Federer-Djokovic, maybe two of the best grass players of all time. If you want the best rivalry on clay, you want Nadal-Djokovic, probably the two best clay players of all time. I think it is amazing how Djokovic flies under the radar when Federer and Nadal are around.
Ragman

Reply Tue 16 Jul, 2019 02:41 pm
@engineer,
It’s all about how hard the name is to pronounce. That’s the reason… And I’m sticking to it. Besides his nickname is joker after all.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 11:25 am
Serena makes a serious statement at the US Open in stomping Sharapova (who to be fair has not been the same since her doping suspension.)

From the Guardian (and their excellent tennis coverage)
Quote:
Sharapova knew that high-risk tactics were her only chance against a stronger, faster and more intelligent opponent, but they were responsible for her countless errors throughout.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 04:00 pm
Anybody just see that?!!!!
0 Replies

Lolioas

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2019 06:15 am
@ossobuco,
I've take a bet on tennis sometimes
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2021 01:56 pm
Great Australian Open despite the original COVID snafus. Osaka makes a serious statement with her win. It seems she is pulling away from the pack and making an argument for being the future of the WTA. Djokovic continues to make his case for being the GOAT with his 9th title in Australia which is just ridiculously dominant in an era what includes two of the greatest players of all time as opponents.
Ragman

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2021 02:41 pm
@engineer,
I don’t often watch tennis that much but I had to see Djokovic play. He was fantastic and kept pushing hard. Well worth watching.
engineer

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2021 03:23 pm
@Ragman,
The guy is just a machine. He might not have the very best forehand, backhand, serve, volley, etc but he has one of the best of everything. He just doesn't have any weaknesses in his game, he does everything well.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2021 03:30 pm
@engineer,
Furthermore, it looked as though Medvedev in that first set was going to offer a an even-Steven match but he unraveled after the first round. He needs some work on his mental toughness.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2021 10:15 am
Roger Federer never considered retirement despite 14-month absence from tennis
Quote:
"Retirement was never really on the cards. I think it's really a conversation more, let's say, if the knee keeps bothering me for months and months to come.

"I just feel like the story's not over yet. I enjoy playing tennis, I enjoy being on the road.

"Probably one of the other reasons to come back is that I would like to get that high again of playing against the best players, playing at the biggest tournaments, winning them hopefully, and being in the conversation."
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 03:04 pm
The greatest clay court player of all time is slugging it out against arguably the second best clay court player and likely the greatest to ever play the game. Djokovic just won the third set in a tie break to go up 2-1, Nadal is up a break at the start of the fourth.
engineer

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 04:26 pm
@engineer,
Djokovic reels off the last six games putting Nadal out of the French Open
engineer

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2021 07:22 pm
@engineer,
Djokovic comes back from a two-set deficit to take the French Open! While people have different opinions, from the numerical point of view Djokovic is clearly the best ever on the men's side. Not only is he he only man since Laver to have a double career slam, he is the only man to have won all nine master's events and he has done it twice. He has a winning record against Nadal and Federer, the highest ELO rating of all time and the most weeks at number one.