Anyone like Tennis?

engineer

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 07:02 am
@ossobuco,
I was unable to watch the match, but lots of chatter today about how disrespectful the crowd was to Djokovic. Everyone knew the crowd would be pretty partisan but cheering faults and trying to distract Djokovic during his service motion? Not very classy. At the end of the day, Djokovic came closer to the calendar slam than Serena did. Djokovic is only the third man to ever play in all four finals in a calendar year (with Federer and Laver).
ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 07:17 am
@engineer,
I picked up that the crowd was unusually noisy. I'm thinking.. a long wait, lots of beer, and the favoritism combined to gauche behavior. Naturally I didn't see it, just read about it in the Guardian play by play. Also read that Djoko was teasing them, off and on.
engineer

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 07:21 am
@ossobuco,
There is something about Djokovic. I've read he really wants to be liked by the crowd and when the crowd is obviously against him, he tends to taunt them, of course making them more against him. It's so at odds with everything else you read about him. He's known for being very gracious to his opponents (read his post match comments from last night), friendly and approachable to the crowd, well spoken and generally a great guy, but he was clearly not the crowd favorite at all four slam finals this year. As for the Open crowd, lots of negative feedback for them. When the chair judge is issuing repeated warnings, something is wrong.
engineer

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 07:26 am
@engineer,
One of my favorite tennis reporters is Jon Wertheim over at Sports Illustrated. Some interesting comments from his 50 Parting Thoughts column this morning on Nadal:

Quote:
Another Slam, another early exit for Rafael Nadal. Not only did he fail to win at least one major for the first year since 2004, he didn’t even make it beyond the quarterfinals of any. At the U.S. Open, of course, he lost to Fabio Fognini in five sets. The notion that needs a new coach is as simplistic as it is unlikely to happen. You know what he could use: a sports psychologist to change his risk-reward ratio. Too often Nadal is playing with caution, positioning himself deep in the court, playing passively—especially on the forehand side, especially deep in matches.

So the week before the tournament, I attended a Rafael Nadal/Tommy Hilfiger event a few blocks from my office in Bryant Park. The conceit was a strip tennis match. The makeshift court in the Hilfiger logo was ringed with models and slick publicists and fashion world types. Jane Lynch was, inexplicably, a mock chair umpire. Nadal was admirably game, but the whole thing—not to mention the highly risqué underwear commercials that followed—was so…off. It was just so wildly at variance with Nadal’s personality and sensibilities. You get the feeling that if Nadal’s friends back in Mallorca had seen this, they’d sit around the fishing boat, drinking beer and giving him endless rations of grief. He’d sheepishly take it, knowing it was richly deserved. But you won't believe what they paid me, no?

The whole affair was weirdly depressing and it took a while but I finally figured out why. It wasn’t the Wisconsin-level cheese factor, or seeing Nadal—one of the all-time greats—reduced, almost Kournikova-style, to a sex symbol, replete with the Cheshire cat look at the end of the commercial. It wasn’t knowing that Nadal—a simple guy with humility, who’d rather eat a burger at a sports bar than go to hip new restaurant—was out of place, surrounded by all these climbers. It was the message of resignation as it pertained to his career: The air is leaving this balloon and I need to capitalize on these opportunities while I can.

It's been a privilege and pleasure to cover his career. But between the retrospectives he has been offering on career—translation: “If I don't win another match, it’s been a good run.”—and some of these commercial decisions that are out of his character, one wonders about his mindset. We all always suspected that his body would doom his career and prevent him from playing into his 30s. This year has been much more about his lack of confidence and conviction. It as though he doesn’t believe the ride is lasting much longer. Here’s hoping he is wrong.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2015 07:45 am
@engineer,
Good article, makes sense.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2015 08:46 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Oboy, it's getting intense at the end of 2nd set!!

The second set was the one set when Federer raised his game to match Djokovic's. In the second set he showed what he could still do. Unfortunately he could not keep it up for more than a set. It took all his strength just to win the second. Yeah, I watched the whole set, and it was awesome.
Kolyo

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2015 08:52 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

There is something about Djokovic. I've read he really wants to be liked by the crowd and when the crowd is obviously against him, he tends to taunt them, of course making them more against him. It's so at odds with everything else you read about him. He's known for being very gracious to his opponents...

The crowd wants the other guy to win, so it casts Djokovic as a sort of "villain." He wants to be liked and hates that they're all against him, so he uses their oppositional energy the only way he can, by raging against them. It's totally understandable on his part, if not on their part. Reminds me I need to read Ibsen's Enemy of the People, one of these days.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2015 08:53 pm
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

snood wrote:

Oboy, it's getting intense at the end of 2nd set!!

The second set was the one set when Federer raised his game to match Djokovic's. In the second set he showed what he could still do. Unfortunately he could not keep it up for more than a set. It took all his strength just to win the second. Yeah, I watched the whole set, and it was awesome.

I stopped watching when Jokerass started pulling ahead. Couldn't stand it.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 03:46 pm
Time for Australian Open commentary. Federer and Djokovic have done their part, setting up a semi-final death match. On the women's side, Williams and Azarenka look to be setting up a final of the two best players in women's tennis (ranking be damned.)
snood

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 04:29 pm
@engineer,
Yup. This should be good. C'mon, Fed and Serena!!
engineer

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 07:41 pm
@snood,
Should Djokovic win, he will own winning records against both Nadal and Federer. Djokovic and Federer are tied right now. Should Serena win, she will tie Steffi Graf's slam total.
snood

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 07:55 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Should Djokovic win, he will own winning records against both Nadal and Federer. Djokovic and Federer are tied right now. Should Serena win, she will tie Steffi Graf's slam total.

And then there'd only be Margaret Court's record...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 07:58 pm
Do either of you know when the matches are in u.s. eastern time? I'm having trouble getting into SIllustrated and the Australian Open site has Australian times, which is perfectly reasonable but I often mess up the time difference.
engineer

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 08:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Kerber just beat Azarenka a few minutes ago. The afternoon matches are going on right now. The time difference is GMT +11 or 16 hours more than Eastern time.
snood

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 08:58 pm
@engineer,
Good lord, I missed that Azarenka got beat. I don't even know who Kerber is.
engineer

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 09:34 pm
@snood,
Kerber is a pretty decent German player who made some waves a couple of years ago and is consistently top ten. Unfortunately for her, she is the type of player that Williams snacks on: lots of power, good counter puncher, high enough in the rankings that Williams takes her seriously and rises to the occasion.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 26 Jan, 2016 11:24 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Kerber is a pretty decent German player who made some waves a couple of years ago and is consistently top ten.
It's been her fourth straight year in the Top 10.
margo

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 03:07 am
OK. It's about 8.07pm in Melbourne now. Check what time my post shows where you are. Evening session usually starts 7.30pm.

Watching Monfils and Raonic now. Raonic ahead in first set.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 05:18 am
@margo,
That means you are eleven hours ahead of us in the UK.

Could you therefore post this coming Saturday UK lotto results as soon as you get them?
That'll give me about eleven hours to buy the winning ticket.

I propose a 50/50 split, OK?
engineer

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 09:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Kerber is a nice, consistent player and she does have a win against Williams (a few years ago). The win over Azarenka is a very nice one. Azarenka was the 14 seed, but she was the number one player in the world a couple of years ago before injury set her back and she'd been playing at a really high level. I think just about every tennis journalist had her as the player to beat on her side of the draw. With some of the earlier upsets in the draw, Kerber has a nice path to the finals. Her opponent in the next round is an unseeded player who has caught some really great breaks to make it to the semis. Konta is the first British woman in 30 years to reach a Grand Slam semi. She beat Venus in the first round and then just about every seed in her path lost before she had to play them. She did beat Makarova in the fourth round which was a good win. Kerber is at a different level though.