Anyone like Tennis?

panzade

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 11:23 am
@snood,
Snood, this article brought home what you've been alluding to all along.
Every Serena Williams win comes with a side of disgusting racism and sexism
Quote:
Serena Williams beat Lucie Safarova to win the French Open Saturday. Her reward, at least on social media, came in the form of some of the same racist and sexist comments that have followed her for her entire career.

In the moments surrounding her win, Williams was compared to an animal, likened to a man, and deemed frightening and horrifyingly unattractive.

One Twitter user who wrote that Williams "looks like a gorilla, and sounds like a gorilla when she grunts while hitting the ball. In conclusion, she is a gorilla." And another described her as "so unbelievably dominant...and manly".
ESPN sports commentator Bomani Jones responded to those reactions — as well as to the ones that dismissed them as subjective commentary — with a series of tweets..

What people who tried to insist that these were merely innocent, individual assessments of Williams' looks didn't understand was that none of this was new, and none of it was random.

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/11/8189679/serena-williams-indian-wells-racism
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 11:44 am
@Ragman,
She's so great!
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 11:47 am
@ossobuco,
Did you see her? It is pretty hard to believe that she looks like that without taking stuff that should be illegal in tennis. Doping always decreases my interest in the outcome.
Ragman

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 12:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
POS
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 12:06 pm
@hawkeye10,
No, it is not hard to believe she doesn't take steroids or growth hormones. Been to the gym lately?

You're doing your The Sky Is Falling routine again.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 12:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Doping in sports has long been common so I am not proposing anything new or unknown . I am sure she spends a lot of time in the gym, and she probably takes roids like stuff to build up her muscles too. I dont believe you get to look like that with diet and exercise only.

And lets remember last years wimbledon, when she performed as if her drug cocktail was messed up. She claimed virus but there was a hefty dose of skepticism about that. She needed to take months off to recover from a virus? Not impossible but not likely either.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 12:35 pm
@ossobuco,
A successful black woman is threat to somebody's fragile 'all mouth and trousers' masculinity.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 12:45 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

A successful black woman is threat to somebody's fragile 'all mouth and trousers' masculinity.

Hard as it for people like you to believe some of us are opposed to all doping in sports, we want a fair fight, and it does not matter who the offender is. Lance Armstrong did not get a pass because he is a white male did he? How About Mcgwire? How about Canseco?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 12:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
A fair fight means you don't make unfounded allegations based on nothing but your own prejudices.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 01:12 pm
@izzythepush,
This is where victim culture has gotten us: Members of recognized victims groups should not be criticized for anything, and known victims should not be criticized for anything. As we see in the Hastert news we are now adding that supporters of victims are not to be criticized for anything.

I reject the argument, and will therefor not follow the dictates.

If I suspect that someone is doping in sports they will not have my support even if they are a member of a victims groups or three. My stance is dont dope, no matter who you are.

This does not represent prejudice, it represents equality and fairness.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 01:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
I play fantasy sports with others on a2k; we have a2k sports leagues. I never knowingly put a cheater on my team, and I do believe in fairness as righteously as you claim to believe. However, Serena is certainly not a known cheater, and her personality and history doesn't make me think she is one. I think, with others, that your biases are in your way. Of course, maybe you're not biased, just a jumper to conclusions about people.
Ragman

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 01:38 pm
@ossobuco,
..or simply a ****-stirrer.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 01:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
You are so full of it. There is nothing to suggest she's doping, not even a hint. Your allegations are unfounded and based on bigotry. You stand for sneers, innuendo and pretending to be a victim when caught out.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 01:51 pm
Back to tennis or this will be a circle jerk, in which I am not interested.

I am interested in Wawrinka; Djoko said something very respectfull when they met over the net. (no link right now)
Did ya get a look at those shorts?
Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 02:01 pm
The only reason that you know who and one or two others ruin so many threads is because people respond to them.

They only suck the air out of a room if somebody opens the window for them.

I missed the final few days of this tournament, but am busy reddening up my bed of strawberries so that they will be ready for Wimbledon. Hopefully, Andy will succesfully defend his title.

izzythepush

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 02:03 pm
@Lordyaswas,
My strawberries are just starting to turn red, had a couple, so much better than the supermarkets.
Ragman

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 02:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah..I was a bit surprised..at his...ahh fashion choices. Of course, it's fine with me...with less fashion and more get-down-in-the-trenches-blue-collar suits me fine. That man can play!
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 02:08 pm
@izzythepush,
Apparently, reading a recent article, to get the best flavour you are supposed to wait until they are really dark red, not water the plant on the day before picking, and eat within five minutes.

Knowing my luck, Mr Slug will have been there five minutes before I arrive with my bowl.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 02:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Federer had pink shorts when being beaten by Wawrinka (the dress code is only Wimbledon)
http://i57.tinypic.com/2dwc0vn.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2015 02:10 pm
@Lordyaswas,
My strawberries had little black worms. I prefer tomatoes anyway.