Anyone like Tennis?

ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 02:02 pm
@margo,
Yeah, but he was injured.
vonny

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 02:03 pm
@ossobuco,
I felt desperately sorry for Nadal. He played on despite pain, then proved himself a good loser.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 02:11 pm
@vonny,
I don't watch all the tennis matches (or, actually any of them these days - just read), but I don't have the impression that Nadal is a gamesmanship (in the negative sense) person.

I'm happy for Wawrinka, and glad he had done well in the first sets to cut some of the 'oh, he only won because of Nadal's injury' business, though the injury sure did mess up Nadal's mode of fairly often surging from behind to win.
On good loser, he is famously thoughtful of other players after matches, or so I've read.

Some reactions re the booing (the whys of it coming from some fans) -
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/rafael-nadal-injury-australian-open/
ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 02:18 pm
@ossobuco,
Then there is Victoria Azarenka in last year's australian open -

naturally, I don't know, but there seem to have been questions:
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/jan/24/victoria-azarenka-timeout-australian-open
ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 02:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Guardian today on the match -
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jan/26/stanislas-wawrinka-rafael-nadal-australian-open
0 Replies

secondusername

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2014 01:43 am
@ossobuco,
Here batter, batter.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2014 08:08 am
I've witnessed the changing of the guard so many times...it never gets easier.
The king is dead?
Long live the king.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 10:42 am
@panzade,
Just for the record, from the 250ATP-round in Halle ...

Quote:
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zpsf2927211.jpg

The German Brown is No 85, Nadal No 1 ...
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 10:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
After less than 60 minutes ...

Quote:
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zpsf2927211.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 11:15 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
HALLE, Germany (AP) -- Rafael Nadal was knocked out in the second round of the grass-court Gerry Weber Open on Thursday, losing 6-4, 6-1 to German wild card Dustin Brown.

The world No. 85 broke Nadal's serve at the fifth attempt to win the first set, and he pulled off two audacious lobs in succession to break the Spaniard again early in the second.

Nothing Nadal tried seemed to work in his first match since winning his ninth French Open title. He had a first-round bye at Halle.

Brown raced ahead to win in just under an hour, and will next face compatriot Philipp Kohlschreiber in the quarterfinals.

Roger Federer began his grass-court preparations for Wimbledon by coming from behind to beat Joao Sousa of Portugal 6-7 (8), 6-4, 6-2 earlier.

Sousa saved all five break points he faced before taking the first set in a tiebreaker, but the second-seeded Federer raised his level in the next two sets to win the second-round match and move into the quarterfinals.

"It was important to stay calm, and actually it gives me more confidence winning this way than maybe just 6-4, 6-4, and you don't quite know what is going on," said Federer, who acknowledged he was worried after losing the first set.

It was the seven-time Wimbledon winner's first match since losing in the fourth round at the French Open to Ernests Gulbis. He also had a first-round bye in Halle, where he is a six-time champion.

"The first day when I came here to practice it was bit so-so, and everyday after that was very good," Federer said.

He will next play Taiwan's Lu Yen-hsun, who defeated Croatia's Ivo Karlovic 7-6 (2), 7-6 (3).

"I will have to adjust in the sense that there will be more baseline duels," said Federer, who was also playing a doubles match later. "We'll see. But I think it's positive that I spent more time on the court today."
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 08:13 am
Kerber looks like she's just about to dump Sharapova out of Wimbledon!

One set all, 4-1 to Kerber in the third and final set.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 08:17 am
@Lordyaswas,
Thanks for the tweak, I'll pay attention now (still having morning coffee with lazy look around).
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 08:20 am
@ossobuco,
Mid afternoon here, and I've just cleared up the mess from sanding down two big window frames.
My hair feels like velcro, so after a small beer I shall go and wash it.

Because I'm worth it.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 08:50 am
@Lordyaswas,
Kerber wins, after a good fightback by Sharapova.

7 match points in the last game. Good stuff.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 08:55 am
@Lordyaswas,
Just saw that on the wimbledon slam tracker.

So, does Kerber grunt a lot too? (This is one benefit of not watching the live matches - I'm so old I remember when Monica Seles' grunting caused a big stir).
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 10:10 am
@ossobuco,
No, she somehow manages to serve with barely a whisper......like everyone used to back in the old days.

I noticed when they met at the net to shake hands, that Sharapova towered over her. Kerber is either very short, or Shara's a giant. Never noticed that before.....maybe I've only ever watched her play tall opponents up until now.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 11:03 am
@Lordyaswas,
Kerber is 1.72 m ... which might be called nowadays for female tennis players.
(Lisicki, who won with her bad shoulder earlier, is 1.78 m)

Sharapova is 1.88 m
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 11:12 am
Last I looked, Nadal and Kyrgios tied.. well, Nadal at 4-3 in third set.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 11:18 am
@ossobuco,
5:4 just now, 3rd set
ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 12:13 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Nadal out of Wimbledon..
That Kyrgios guy is sharp, never heard of him before (but I don't follow all that much).