Anyone like Tennis?

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 02:12 pm
@engineer,
She and her father have crossed difficult territory, him stopping working as an m.d. to coach her - which on the face of it sounds big warning bells. (I don't know the details, may well have been smart). And her, moving on. Big pile of trouble in anyone's life.

Instead, they both sound quite sane, and I think I like them.
engineer

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 02:20 pm
@ossobuco,
Bartoli was banned from the French Olympic team for refusing to go without her coach (father) even though she is by far the best grass court player from France. She did split from her father (amicably apparently) earlier this year.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 03:11 pm
@engineer,
Quite agree.
The Bartoli family have big connections in Corsica, and they have long memories. If they ever caught him holidaying there, I think they would at least squeak his pips.
Never cross a Corsican. They make Sicilians look like Swedish care workers.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 08:26 am
Federer just lost a semi-final in Hamburg, versus Federico Del Bonis (6:7, 6:7).
Del Bonis had to qualify for the bet-at-home Open as the current number 114 ...
vonny

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 08:32 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Federer doesn't seem to be on form at the present time, does he? Have you any idea how Nadal is getting on after his early departure from Wimbledon?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2013 09:08 am
@vonny,
vonny wrote:
Have you any idea how Nadal is getting on after his early departure from Wimbledon?
He didn't play any official match afterwards.
vonny

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2013 09:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thank you. I do love his game - he has a wonderful amount of passion that a lot of players lack. But his knee problems are a big worry - some say he should quit tennis now, before he's permanently disabled.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 12:42 pm
@vonny,
Federer lost today at his "own open" in Gstaad/Switzerland his first match (2nd round) versus the German D. Brands (world no. 53) 3:6, 4:6.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 12:45 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
He must be getting bummed about all this by now.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 01:33 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Federer lost today at his "own open"

Wow, he is really off form! I do feel sorry for him - it must be galling to lose at one's 'own' event.
engineer

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 02:00 pm
@vonny,
I think that is a little overstated. His back has been bothering him and he's transitioning to a new racquet with a larger head size. (Something Sampras did at the end and said he'd wished he'd done earlier.)
vonny

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 02:13 pm
@engineer,
Thanks for that - I knew he had back problems, but not about him transitioning to a new racquet. I seem to remember Sampras doing the same thing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 02:22 pm
@engineer,
Aha! makes sense he doesn't just fade but is dealing with issues.

I was never a serious tennis player, who me?, but I did like playing in beginning uni tennis class, and with friends who were good who put up we me later. One a junior champion from her country; she was patient with us, in retrospect.
Before that, I remember being consternated on where to move to in doubles on a date with a good t.player (also + math physics music, wonder if there is a connection).

But one day in those beginner classes I didn't have my racquet (forget why) and a fellow student leant me hers; this was back in the days of woods. I forget the brand name now, but with her racquet, I became queen of the court and could do no wrong. Back with my own racquet next time, nah. Years later I tried one of those racquets again, and, eh..

Maybe it had to do with how that player maintained her racquet - I've no idea.

Hah, I remember the name, Slazenger.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 02:23 pm
@engineer,
Well, I've seen all his last matches, either live or on tv. There were no complains about his back. He used the new racquet in Hamburg last week first ... "So far, I'm happy with this change,” he said about the new racquet after his loss in Hamburg ...
engineer

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 06:53 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Ok, the Fed just lost in at the Swiss Open and not it doesn't look like a fluky loss or two. This article discusses his recent losses, his racquet, his back...

Sports Illustrated wrote:
Federer must have thought he could get in a good number of matches by playing against these weakened fields, maybe bagging a title or two along the way to boost his confidence. These tournaments would be a low-stakes environment to fiddle with his new stick, and the two weeks wouldn’t tax him physically because clay is easier on the body.

That sounded OK in theory — I say “OK” instead of “good” because the schedule shuffle is still a mild head-scratcher to me — but a few matches into his Hamburg campaign, Federer clearly was dealing with a back injury and, as is his wont, he played through it without much complaint. After losing to Federico Delbonis in the Hamburg semifinals, where he played with visible kinesio tape on his lower back, Federer should have shut it down and pulled out of Gstaad. But Federer probably didn’t feel like he could let down the tournament, and chose to honor his commitment to the small Swiss event (and he was rewarded with a cow). That’s an honorable and gentlemanly thing to do, but it wasn’t the best decision as an athlete who’s trying to break out of a slump.
/quote]
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 11:50 pm
@engineer,
In an interview with the Swiss tv and radio, Federer said that in Hamburg he'd played with pain-killers, but now felt better, though he had only had had little time for training. And that he was glad, he could play at all ...

If that explains why he couldn't use five changes for breaks, two for re-breaks, okay.

He's not 100% sure, if he will play in Montreal on August 5.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 03:21 pm
I've just booked a quick trip to Melbourne for the Australian Open.

Middle weekend. We usually see some fantastic games.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 02:58 pm
Isner fights hard and has a great (best ever?) tournament but Nadal wins the Cincinnati Masters. Serena is putting on a serious display of amazing tennis. Wins the first set 6-2 over number 2 Azarenka.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 03:01 pm
@engineer,
Thanks - I knew Isner was doing good (corrected to well, for grammarians), but not the follow up.
And I'm a softie for Nadal, so yes there too.
Go, Serena!!
engineer

Reply Sun 18 Aug, 2013 03:02 pm
@ossobuco,
On ESPN 2 if you want to watch. Azarenka is making a match of it in the second, up 3-1