Anyone like Tennis?

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 01:40 pm
The finger rules...

Murray wins the set!

I don't like Janowitz, or his tactics, or his football hooligan style entourage.
He doesn't play fair to me.
vonny

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 01:47 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Janowicz seems to be playing mind games with his desire to have the roof closed? Surprised they put it on so early.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 01:49 pm
Now they have decided to close the roof ( twenty minutes), mainly I feel because Janowitz has been nagging about the roof for about an hour, despite the light being good enough for an hour or so yet.
Undue influence, mixed with spineless refereeing.

Murray will now lose all momentum, unless he's very controlled and keeps mentally strong.

Janowitz has been jibing him DURING play, and his entourage keep up a rythmic clap right up until the point of the next serve, far longer than the crowd.

Don't like cheats, and I think this guy is borderline.

Murray's not my favourite tennis player ever, but he's getting a rough ride here. I hope it winds him up and he comes out and knocks the guy all over the court.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 01:51 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Well, it's the World No. 2 vs No. 22.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 01:55 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Are you justifying his actions somehow, Walter?

If he was ranked 122, would he then be entitled to kick Murray in the family jewels before each serve?

I hope Murray trounces him.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 01:57 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I'm not justifying his actions - I'm more "complaining" about the match per se.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 02:00 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I didn't know about his support group's behavior or his jibing Murray since I'm just reading along, quickly at that, but I do sympathize for dusk and night vision trouble. Maybe Janowicz should be tested for that. Or maybe he's just a big whiner.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 02:32 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Murray needs to work on his persona, I grant you that, but McEnroe was joyless AND downright obnoxious but everyone loved him.
Weird, isn't it? Maybe it's because Mac actually had a bit of character, whereas Murray just does neutral, angry or tragic.

Looks like he's got this one sorted though.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 02:38 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I didn't know about his support group's behavior or his jibing Murray since I'm just reading along, quickly at that, but I do sympathize for dusk and night vision trouble. Maybe Janowicz should be tested for that. Or maybe he's just a big whiner.

He's just a big whiner. Either that, or he's one of those players who needs to find something to get his anger up to boiling point. Maybe he can't play well when happy.

He's just won (Murray) as I type.

Don't go anywhere at 2pm on Sunday. Brit time, of course.
vonny

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 02:41 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Don't you think that Djokovic is going to be a lot more tired than Murray on Sunday? His match was epic - Murray's wasn't particularly strenuous by comparison.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 02:46 pm
@vonny,
If they were playing tomorrow, I'd say it would affect him, but he's got a full day off and all the best physio/maasage/heat treatment/ice baths/dieticians/chefs in the world, plus the chance of a full english breakfast on Sunday morning.
He'll come out fighting, I'm sure.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 02:46 pm
@vonny,
Djoko is a guy I've grown to appreciate. Murray I still think, eh.. (sorry, Murray fans). My monopoly money is on Djoko.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 02:49 pm
@ossobuco,
And then there's the women - I like what I know of both. I suppose I'm more for wonderwoman, Lisicki; on the other hand, Bartoli reminds me of Cecilia..
vonny

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 02:53 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
He'll come out fighting, I'm sure.

I hope so. Feel guilty for saying it, but I'd much prefer him to win.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 02:54 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
And then there's the women

Thoroughly enjoyed the women's tennis this year. For me, it's Lisicki - she has so much joy and enthusiasm. Hope she wins.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 02:54 pm
@ossobuco,
Actually, Murray seems a really nice guy when he's away from tennis.
For years, the Brits have been told that they'll never win wimbledon because we don't have that killer step, or nasty side. Then, along comes this morose lad who looks like he'll kill you or moan you to death and everyone takes an instant dislike because it's not how we think a Brit should act. Didn't his mother ever teach him politeness? Deary me, he's like one of those arrogant American sportsmen. Disgrace!
BUT.....he's by far the best tennis player we've produced in a long time, so it seems nowadays you can't have it both ways.....apart from when it comes to the divine Sabine, of course.

I think we should make her an honorary Brit. But then again, she might lose if we did that.
vonny

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 02:59 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
Deary me, he's like one of those arrogant American sportsmen.

Wish he was - I might like him better! It isn't his dull and dreary demeanour, or the hideous faces he pulls, or even his little tantrums or fisty-shaky's to the heavens - it's all of them! He is a good tennis player, but everything he does looks as if he's learnt it by rote - not as if he has a passion for the game.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 03:00 pm
Well, me, I still miss Bjorn Borg. Also used to like Boris Becker.

Evonne Goolagong.

vonny

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 03:01 pm
@ossobuco,
He was a great guy!
vonny

Reply Fri 5 Jul, 2013 03:02 pm
@vonny,
Bjorn, I mean. As for Boris - wow, used to watch every match he ever played - loved his style!