Anyone like Tennis?

engineer

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 09:49 am
@snood,
Really nice interviews at the awards ceremony as well.
panzade

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 09:52 am
@engineer,
great interviews...loved the way she went through the gallery hugging everyone....she's a true champion
ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 09:59 am
@panzade,
That was a terrific match. Congratulations to Serena.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 09:24 am
@ossobuco,
Rain delay in the final in the third set (gnaws her knuckles).
ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 11:00 am
@ossobuco,
Reading this on the Guardian's live blog, I feel like the only one around that is rooting for Federer. Could be close to the end now in the 4th set.
Ragman

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 11:02 am
@ossobuco,
I like the even disposition of Federer vs Murray. Kind of reminds me a bit of the brat, McEnroe. I am thinking Federer is going to close this up really soon.

Yikes! These guys serve at speeds in excess of 125 mph. It takes me 5 minutes to get a beer and I LIKE it!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 11:03 am
@ossobuco,
Well what do you think? This is the first time a British player has been in the final since the 1930s. For some people it's a really big deal.

I expect the chief executive of Oxfam is rooting for Federer too.
Ragman

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 11:16 am
@ossobuco,
Murray: Stout fellow! Speaking of stout - Guinness for all!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 11:19 am
Raise my Stout to Federer! Is he the best ever?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 11:28 am
Murray has to be the classiest runner-up ever. Very touching speech. And so glad to see Federer regain his dominance - also one of the classiest ever.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 11:34 am
@izzythepush,
Of course the crowd and the blogger (whom I like - so far I like all of the Guardian sports columnist bloggers) were all for Murray, who is a fighter himself. I'm not against that at all. Just looked now at the Sports Illustrated blog and those commentators are sobbing along as Murray shed some tears and gave an excellent speech.

Sampras, who now shares his Wimbledon record with Federer, gave an enjoyable interview last evening (or that's when I read it) about being fine with sharing it with Fed.

I know nada about the chief executive of Oxfam.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 11:48 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I know nada about the chief executive of Oxfam.

I posted this a couple of pages back.

Quote:
Oxfam could be set to reap more than £100,000 in winnings if a late benefactor's Wimbledon wager comes off.

In 2003 Nick Newlife, from Oxfordshire, put £1,520 on six-time champion Roger Federer winning seven Wimbledon titles by 2019, at odds of 66/1.

He died aged 59 in 2009 but had left the betting slip, potentially worth £101,840, to Oxfam in his will.

Oxfam spokesman said "we will be keeping our fingers firmly crossed for Federer's success".

'Unique wager'

Mr Newlife, from Tackley, had written to bookmakers William Hill with the request for the bet in 2003.

Graham Sharpe, who took the original bet, said the wager was "unique".

"We're not likely to see its like again for some time," he said.

He added that "a number of people have drawn Federer's attention to this bet".

"I don't know whether he's thinking about this hugely philanthropic gesture to Oxfam.

"It's certainly not going to harm his reputation if that's a side project," he said.

Andrew Barton, head of relationship marketing for Oxfam, says: "Legacies amount to 12 per cent of our total income from individuals, so they're essential to us, and as this case proves they can come in all shapes and sizes.

"We wish Roger Federer all the very best for Wimbledon."

Federer had to overcome a back injury and the rain to beat Xavier Malisse in the Wimbledon fourth round on Monday.

The Swiss tennis legend is currently second favourite to win the title behind defending champion Novak Djokovic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-18686100

Lash

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 11:50 am
@izzythepush,
So THIS is why the Brits hate Merricuns. Since the 30s, huh? haha
izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 01:06 pm
@Lash,
Actually I'm not that bothered about tennis. I had to stop watching BBC News because the match tended to take over everything.

I've been watching Al Jazeera instead. Did you know that there's a student protest going on at the University of Khartoum? It's all getting pretty lary. There was a lot on the Libyan elections as well as the usual stuff about Syria. There was quite a bit about protests in Mexico over the election reaults. There was also a really interesting documentary about the impact on ancient Cambodian Temples of being granted World Heritage status.
Ragman

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 01:09 pm
@Lash,
What a bunch of matches - weren't they Lash? Sure love watching one of the best tennis matches in ages. Interviews afterwards were pretty interesting too. I got to like Murray more as a result.
engineer

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 01:45 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Sampras, who now shares his Wimbledon record with Federer, gave an enjoyable interview last evening (or that's when I read it) about being fine with sharing it with Fed.

I think Fed will surpass Sampras's record for number weeks at number one as well.
panzade

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 02:25 pm
@izzythepush,
izzy, you're a likeable bloke, but for the life of me... I can't figure out why you bring world politics into a thread about tennis. Let's give it a rest; shall we?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 02:28 pm
@izzythepush,
Ah, thank you - I did see that and didn't catch the reference.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 02:33 pm
@izzythepush,
Yeah, so did you read my thread plus link about goings on in Mexico, posted yesterday? Last I looked, nobody has read the article, gripping reading.

http://able2know.org/topic/193406-1
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 02:44 pm
@engineer,
I'll look and see if I can find a link to Sampras' interview - there was one record he thought no one would surpass.
0 Replies