Fascinating tale of trouble in Mexico

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2012 09:25 pm
This is by William Finnegan, who has written at length before about the drug cartels. I haven't finished the article yet as it is eleven pages long on the New Yorker website, but I'm already drawn in to read the whole thing.

LETTER FROM MEXICO

The Kingpins
The fight for Guadalajara.
by William Finnegan
July 2, 2012

This link is for the article as all one long page, published slightly before the election of Enrique Pena Nieto.
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/07/02/120702fa_fact_finnegan?currentPage=all

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,951 • Replies: 2
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 01:44 am
@ossobuco,
I've not read all of it yet either, but I probably will.

Growing allegations of systematic vote-buying and other irregularities are casting a shadow over Enrique Peña Nieto's still unconfirmed victory in Mexico's presidential election.

Quote:
The preliminary count from Sunday's poll gave Peña Nieto of the Institutional Revolutionary Party, or PRI, about 38% of the vote and a six-percentage-point lead over Andrés Manuel López Obrador of the leftwing Party of the Democratic Revolution, or PRD, who is contesting the result.

The most notorious pre-election allegation was that the PRI distributed huge numbers of cards for pre-paid purchases at the Soriana supermarket chain in return for votes. This appeared to be confirmed this week when shoppers rushed to use the cards, worth between 100 and 700 pesos (£5 to £35). Soriana has denied any wrongdoing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jul/04/mexico-elections-shadow-pena-nieto?INTCMP=SRCH
ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2012 08:17 am
@izzythepush,
I haven't been in Guadalajara in forever (two weeks in the late 60's). I liked it a great deal.
0 Replies