Thu 31 Aug, 2006 09:06 am
I'm making a cake for my sweetie's birthday and, since we're both watching the waistline, was wondering if there's any edible sugar free cake recipes out there. Anyone have any they'd like to share?

The recipes, not the cake....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 5,136 • Replies: 27
Topic Closed
No top replies

Bella Dea

Thu 31 Aug, 2006 09:10 am
You can substitute regular sugar with baking Splenda in any recipe.

Make sure you get the baking kind, or it turns out very dry.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Thu 31 Aug, 2006 09:12 am
Chocolate Cake

3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for Baking
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup baking powder
1/4 cup water or coffee
1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk

PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees F.
COAT two eight-inch cake pans with cooking spray. Dust with flour. Set aside.
BEAT butter at medium speed of an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add SPLENDA® Sugar Blend, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla; mixing until blended.
COMBINE flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
COMBINE water or coffee and milk. Set aside.
ADD 1/2 of the flour mixture and mix on low speed until well blended. Add water and milk and mix on low speed until well blended. Add remaining flour mixture and beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth.
SPOON batter evenly into prepared pans.
BAKE in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool on wire racks.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Thu 31 Aug, 2006 09:15 am
Oh wait, baking splenda is only 50% less sugar....so it would be better for you....but not sugar free.

However, this one looks good. Off the Splenda website...

3 3/4 cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups SPLENDA® Granular
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
7 egg whites
1 1/4 cups reduced-fat buttermilk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Icing
1/2 cup light butter, softened
1 cup SPLENDA® Granular
1 pound fat free cream cheese
2 teaspoons vanilla

Filling
3/4 cup reduced sugar apricot preserves
1 pint strawberries, thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray two 9-inch cake pans with baking spray. Set aside.
Make cake. Sift flour into a large mixing bowl. Add SPLENDA® Granular, flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. Mix with an electric mixer on low speed until ingredients are blended. Add softened butter. Mix on low speed until butter is very finely distributed (approx. 2-3 minutes).
Add egg whites. Mix on low speed until incorporated. Scrape sides of bowl. Mix on medium-high speed 1-2 minutes or until batter is light and well blended. Scrape sides of bowl. Add buttermilk and extracts. Mix on medium speed until blended.
Pour cake batter into prepared pans. Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven for 20-25 minutes or until edges of cake appear slightly dry. Allow cake to cool in pans for10-15 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks until ready to ice.
Prepare Icing. Beat softened butter and SPLENDA® briefly in a medium mixing bowl, until SPLENDA® is just incorporated. Add cream cheese. Mix until lump free, approx. 1 min. Scrape sides of bowl and add vanilla. Mix well.
Assemble cake. Slice cooled cake layers in half. Using a serrated knife slice cakes in half horizontally, to create 4 cake layers.
Place 1 cake layer on cake stand or plate. Spread 1/3 of the preserves over the cake layer. Top with 1/3 of the strawberries. Repeat process until all layers are assembled.*
Ice cake.*Decorating Tip: Professionals create flat cake tops by using the bottom layer of a cake for the top tier. This creates a nice flat surface for icing. The remaining cake bottom can be used as the first layer of the cake and the remaining 2 cake layers can be placed in the middle (top side down).
Exchanges per serving: 2 1/2 carbohydrate, 2 fat
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Thu 31 Aug, 2006 09:16 am
And finally...

Splenda

Personally, I think Splenda is pretty good. Much better than Equal or Sweet n' Low.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Thu 31 Aug, 2006 09:25 am
Thanks, Bella! There's a recipe for Lemon Velvet Cake on the Splenda site that looks perfect! I can hardly wait to try it!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Thu 31 Aug, 2006 09:27 am
I made a cheesecake with splenda the other day and it's only 150 calories a slice and something like 2 fat grams. (course i also used fat free cream cheese and what not) You can't beat that!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 31 Aug, 2006 09:31 am
And I'm on the other side of the fence, not liking to injest manufactured substitute anything. Plus, I think most recipes for cakes in the U.S. call for way too much sugar, and the results are icky sweet to me. Any cake from a mix is gag city for sugar - in my obnoxious opinion.

So, I'd make a cake from scratch and cut down on the sugar or find a low sugar type cake recipe. There's one italian cake I'm thinking of - I'll look around and see if I can find any recipes with low sugar to start with.
Red River

Thu 31 Aug, 2006 09:35 am
Check out diabetic websites for reduced sugar cakes and other pasteries.
0 Replies

Mame

Thu 31 Aug, 2006 11:44 am
ossobuco wrote:
And I'm on the other side of the fence, not liking to injest manufactured substitute anything. Plus, I think most recipes for cakes in the U.S. call for way too much sugar, and the results are icky sweet to me. Any cake from a mix is gag city for sugar - in my obnoxious opinion.

So, I'd make a cake from scratch and cut down on the sugar or find a low sugar type cake recipe. There's one italian cake I'm thinking of - I'll look around and see if I can find any recipes with low sugar to start with.

I agree with you. My sister is continually making muffins and whatnot with a portion of the sugar called for - I wonder why the recipes always ask for so much. She also uses whole wheat flour.

I don't like sweets, so I don't bake much, but I remember 30 years ago making jam with double the berries and half the sugar (it used to be 4 c. berries and 7 c. sugar! can you believe that??) - anyway, I guess I was ahead of my time because now Certo sells a Light version with my proportions. Mine came out rather runny which was fine because then you used less on your toast.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 31 Aug, 2006 01:45 pm
Here's a partial copy of an old post of mine, about a chocolate and walnut cake from Venice. It doesn't have a particularly high amount of sugar or butter, but those numbers can be amended. I'll add that in Red.

quoting moi, with a little editing --

This is in a little book called Venice Cooking with Betty Evans. She is a friend. She and her husband lived in Rome for a while, as he pursued an artist's life, before buckling down to working in the aircraft industry in California. Everywhere they lived, she listened and cooked; she teaches cooking at her wonderful house in Hermosa Beach, California (a small house with, in the back yard, italian cypress in two rows pruned up to have an overhead trellis under them, a bed of gravel underneath, and picnic tables.. grape vines grow over the trellises...)

I will copy what she says....

Chocolate and Walnut Cake

Italian cakes are flatter than American cakes. There are flavorful and smaller slices are served. This cake is quite simple to make. You do need a spring form pan. These pans are available at any kitchen store and handy for many things. (I know it has worked in one of those bundt pans, though springform is better..)

Ingredients
1/3 cup butter, room temperature (you could do 1/2 margerine, 1/2 butter if the margerine was one of those with no trans fats) That'd be 6 tablespoons each.
1 cup sugar You could do 3/4 c. or maybe 2/3 c.
3 oz semi-sweet chocolate (3 squares) (If you only have 2, it's fine)
3/4 cup of strong coffee (I have added different things here, including maybe just some ground coffee beans and water. I usually add some strong coffee. Really, whatever....)
2 eggs
2 Tablespoon rum (Now here you can have fun, I have tried damn near anything)
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups chopped walnuts (I am sure I have played with adding less or other nuts; the walnuts are particularly good)

Procedure
Cream the butter with the sugar. Melt the chocolate in the coffee. Cool slightly. Add to the butter sugar mixture. Beat in the eggs and rum. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. Add to the batter along with the chopped walnuts. Place in a 10" spring form pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes until firm. Remove from pan and cool on rack. Sometimes whipped cream is spread on top. This will serve eight.

For me this is a typical not too sweet and yet flavorful italian dessert. I think if the chocolate is of a lovely quality, the nuts are not very old, the eggs are fresh, the rum or cognac or whatever is not vile, you don't pull it out burned, this will be a delicious cake. Perhaps not sweet enough for most US children. I think I've also sifted some powdered sugar on top after it cools.

_________
0 Replies

Mame

Thu 31 Aug, 2006 02:29 pm
That looks interesting, osso - I think I'll print that one out. I don't eat cake, but if it's not sweet, I just may try it when I'm serving company some time (although people traditionally never get dessert at my house) - thanks. I also like that it's Italian. I love many of their foods.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 31 Aug, 2006 02:34 pm
I'll add that I might even like a bundt pan better. Haven't made it in a while.

Name in italian is Torta di noci e cioccolato...
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 31 Aug, 2006 02:38 pm
I'm keeping a copy of that, too -- we have some Polish friends who come over for dinner occasionally and I've looked for non-sweet desserts because I know they think American desserts are way too sweet. Have had a harder time finding them than I expected.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 07:28 pm
So, blacksmithn, did you bake a cake in the rain?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Wed 13 Sep, 2006 02:46 pm
I used a recipe for the chocolate cake off the Splenda website. They also had a recipe for lemon cake (don't remember right now if it was the Lemon Velvet cake or not) which looks great. In fact, I modified the recipe for the lemon cake's whipped cream frosting, dropping the lemon zest and adding cocoa powder to make a light chocolate whipped cream frosting. It came out superbly and I was well rewarded for my efforts.

Surprisingly, it wasn't overly sweet. If-- no, when-- I make it next time, I'm adding some chocolate sprinkles to top it off.

Yes, I'm QUITE the baker.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Wed 13 Sep, 2006 03:00 pm
mmmmmmmm

bookmark.. Very Happy
0 Replies

NickFun

Wed 13 Sep, 2006 03:16 pm
For a birthday I say go with sugar and screw the waistline. After all, it's a BIRTHDAY!!!
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Wed 13 Sep, 2006 03:23 pm
Well, that's kind of my personal philosophy too, but my honey is on a diet and working very hard to lose those last extra pounds. I wanted to support her in that, but treat her to a nice cake anyway.
0 Replies

himalipatel

Thu 10 Oct, 2013 01:03 am
@blacksmithn,
hey, by making at home why you do not order from the online or offline store?
Now a days there are so many online stores which provides online cake home delivery at a same day or next day. they provides all types of cakes at a very affordable cost. i also place an order from it.
0 Replies