Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 02:08 pm
My Mum was a nurse, and my Dad was a fireman, so being shiftworkers they were seldom there together for meals, including Xmas day.

I remember my Dad's valiant attempts at cooking, which usually ended up in the dog before going out to buy us fish 'n' chips.

He could cook a mean sausage, mash and beans though.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 02:26 pm
Tico wrote:
Sturgis wrote:
Mother cooked according to directions so things were usually burned to a crisp. I was about 7 or 8 when I first learned charcoal was not a cookie flavor.

Laughing

My grandmother, who mostly raised me, could turn out a heavenly sour cream apple streusel pie, from scratch, in commercial breaks. Or that's what it seemed like. A commercial would come on TV, she'd get up and busy herself in the kitchen, a couple of commercials later a mouth-watering aroma would waft in. But regular meals -- horrors!

Overcooked meat (think of a steak, fried until it made a shallow grey bowl, displayed on your plate complete with a soup of grease in it) made me want to be a vegetarian before I could spell it. She used to get tripe from the butcher for free, because no one else wanted it. Headcheese -- which I liked until she told me how and what it was made of. And it was ages before I realized that all vegetables were not the same texture and taste called mush. The only way I knew that we were having carrots instead of peas was the colour of the mush, but even that was iffy sometimes. Tomato soup was a bowl of warm milk with stewed tomatoes bobbing around.....

*shudder*

I can't go on.

Wait, was your mothers name Sophie....?

You're my sister Jill, AREN'T YOU??!!

uggggh....steak had to be gray....pork..oh God...had to be cooked for hours more than it had to...triconosis you know (whatever the hell that is)

She used to make perogies...they were good........but decided one day to just mix up some egg noodles, saurkraut, lima beans and cottage cheese in a cassarole dish. Claimed it was the same thing. Rolling Eyes

She made egg plant once...I told her they tasted like boogers. I have no idea how that woman came up with her ideas.

I did like her spaghetti sauce.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 02:48 pm
My dad had the opposite problem -- bloody bloody bloody meat. It's amazing we all survived.

My dad was mostly the cook. My parents were very poor for most of my childhood, so there was a lot of tongue and liver and such. I evidently liked liver and onions, as that comes up a lot as an example of me being an un-picky eater. I don't really remember though.

One thing I can think of as heaven was my grandmother's chicken soup with matzo balls. Just so good.

Oh, cheese curds! Fresh from a cheese factory in Wisconsin and still squeaky. Those were the best.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 02:53 pm
Teaberry gum?

http://www.candydirect.com/gums/Clarks-Teaberry.html
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 03:06 pm
Thanks Noddy.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 03:14 pm
ah yes pie iron pies

hotdogs, potato chips and cockrel's old english ginger beer and bill b suddenly appearing at the door
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 03:36 pm
Farley's Rusks.

It's actually a baby food that I continued to eat as a kid, for breakfast, like a porridge (but very sweet). I didn't stop until my mom stopped buying them - they were expensive. I was caught once sneaking out of bed in the middle of the night and raiding the cupboard to scarf down a rusk.

If I could have them now, I would eat them every morning for breakfast and snack on them dry also.

LOVE THEM!!!!

http://www.britishdelights.com/images/e18.jpg
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 05:28 pm
I grew up in a kosher home (my parents and brother still keep kosher in their homes; RP and I do not) and ate traditional foods. Freaked my folks out when, at age 13, I announced I wanted to be a vegetarian (I eat poultry now but I still don't eat red meat).

Anyway ...

I grew up eating --
* salmon croquettes
* chicken soup with matzoh balls like pieces of lead shot (excellent!)
* dairy salads with cottage cheese, raw scallions, celery, tomatoes and iceberg lettuce
* jicama (my mother discovered it when I was a teenager)
* tarragon on lots of things
* my Dad's homemade wine (we kept Shabbos so there was wine every Friday night. I was given a small amount of wine as early as age 10)
* my Dad's green pancakes (he was big on food coloring when I was a kid)
* my mother's excellent cheesecake, carrot cake and cookies (she's more of a baker than a cook)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 05:35 pm
bm

(be back later.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 05:48 pm
My mother made lemon meringue pies, apparently once (just like I did, years later) and my father took a picture of them. Unfortunately, I wasn't born yet.

I like this thread a lot.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 11:13 pm
Oh, drool.

Mom and dad never had much money, but man did we eat. Sunday was a huge, huge breakfast and supper. I remember it was like Christmas dinner - usually a big fat chicken and/or roast with all the vegetables and desserts you could stuff in your face. Then the kids are told to go outside and play, bellies bulging.
There were almost always people, rarely just our little family.

Food I adored as a kid:
*Pork Chops, pork chops and more pork chops! (still love the swine in chop form). The secret ingredient is Salt. mm mm.
*Garden vegetables - Not cooked. I liked veggies a lot, even brussel sprouts, so long as they weren't cooked or cooked very lightly.
*Tiger tiger ice cream, and bubblegum ice cream
*Red Meat: steak, roast beef, deer, stew. Any piece of meat grilled or roasted I would eat, was rather carnivorous.

That's what I woulda ate all the time if they would have allowed it. But there was tonnes of variety in our foods as a kid, though most of it was kept to simple fare. Not much spice, salt, sugar, or add-ins either.
Junk food: hot dogs, cakes, chips, pop, were all for treats. But I didn't like hot dogs or chips or pop then. Just cakes and ice cream. Smile

There was bread on the table always, for dad, and I ate a lot of bread. Old habit for him, I just loved the stuff: plain.

Good, good, memories of males bringing back meat and making a feast of it. Picking fruit and eating it til you wandered off to play and had finished filling your pail. It was Eden to me as a kid.
0 Replies