smorgs

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 05:52 am
Talking to Dutchy this morning about 'barmcakes' - or bread rolls to posh/middle class people.

Here is a link to traditional foods from my corner of the globe.

http://www.manchester2002-uk.com/eat&drink/local-dishes.html

Some I wouldn't touch with a bargepole now I'm older, but enjoyed them when young.

What are your favourite dishes from childhood?

Which ones wouldn't you eat now, but did then?

And yes, we still eat Black Pudding...

x
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,310 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Chai

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 06:28 am
Kishka - Polish blood sausage.

Loved it with scrambled eggs.
Used to be a special treat for breakfast on winter holidays

barley and blood....yum.

Got nostalgic and searched out and ate some as an adult....got sick as a dog.

http://www.wynn.com/deli/kishka.jpg
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 06:49 am
Black Pudding.....Mmmmmm.

Chocolate Crunch, with chocolate custard........... MARVELLOUS!

Mashed potato (school style) with little black lumps in it.....Mmmmm.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 06:50 am
peanut butter balls
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 06:56 am
Is that why you walk funny?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 06:57 am
No, but that is why the little peanut butter men walk funny.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Beans. Potatoes. Cornmeal mush.
0 Replies

JPB

I was a very fussy eater as a child. The only foods I would eat without complaint were:

macaroni and cheese (homemade)
hotdogs and hamburgers (plain)
pizza (no toppings)
spaghetti (no sauce)
peanut butter sandwiches (no jelly)
raw veggies
chicken (fried or baked)
potatoes (mashed, fries, or baked)
eggs
bacon
cheese

That all changed when I was invited to my first boyfriend's house for dinner. They ate weird **** but I ate it rather than let them know how fussy an eater I was. My horizons changed dramatically and currently eat more ethnic/exotic foods than any of the above.

My favorite comfort food meal is still homemade mac and cheese with hotdogs.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 07:20 am
tuna, noodles, and peas Smile
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 07:33 am
Favorite dishes from childhood? You expect me to remember that far back and then dredge up those dreadful memories.

Mother cooked according to directions so things were usually burned to a crisp. I was about 7 or 8 when I first learned charcoal was not a cookie flavor.

Fortunately my father was a good, make that great, cook. He even did the cooking thing professionally at times. Anyway, he had a way with rhubarb and also with potatoes...he could do 12,000,001 things with potatoes (probably more Smile ).

Uncle Bert did stuffed pork chops and home styled mashed potatoes (which he let me call a vegetable to avoid brussel sprouts). He also had a way with a chicken pot pie that to this day I never come close to re-experiencing. Uncle Bert was also responsible for me learning to eat odd foods such as Ox and goat, and various nuts and berries that grow wild....I gained 20 pounds one summer stuffing his food down my throat. He was in some ways better at cooking than my father; but he never mastered rhubarb or shark.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 07:56 am
Ummm, comfort foods from childhood....

The one thing that pops into mind to me is my mothers two egg cake, or thats what the old recipe was called. Basically, its the same thing out of a box, but from scracth. Much better...it was so good that we didn't have to put icing on it, just ate it plain.

Two egg cake and Homemade Tea Cookies...

Buttermilk Biscuits w/chocolate gravy on cold winter mornings....

Potatoe Soup w/ I was sick...

My family had a way of renaming dishes that were sickening to my stomach though. Grub worms and grease, **** on a shingle, Barnyard pimp...to name a few. Shocked I still love Grubworms and Grease...LOL
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 11:08 am
My grandma's pigs in a blanket and ox-tail soup. Pie iron pies when camping; my dad would stuff them with asparagus and cheese, yum! although my favourite ones were still the more conventional apple pie filling.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 11:51 am
Sturgis wrote:
Mother cooked according to directions so things were usually burned to a crisp. I was about 7 or 8 when I first learned charcoal was not a cookie flavor.

Laughing

My grandmother, who mostly raised me, could turn out a heavenly sour cream apple streusel pie, from scratch, in commercial breaks. Or that's what it seemed like. A commercial would come on TV, she'd get up and busy herself in the kitchen, a couple of commercials later a mouth-watering aroma would waft in. But regular meals -- horrors!

Overcooked meat (think of a steak, fried until it made a shallow grey bowl, displayed on your plate complete with a soup of grease in it) made me want to be a vegetarian before I could spell it. She used to get tripe from the butcher for free, because no one else wanted it. Headcheese -- which I liked until she told me how and what it was made of. And it was ages before I realized that all vegetables were not the same texture and taste called mush. The only way I knew that we were having carrots instead of peas was the colour of the mush, but even that was iffy sometimes. Tomato soup was a bowl of warm milk with stewed tomatoes bobbing around.....

*shudder*

I can't go on.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 12:10 pm
My mother was not as poor a cook as all that, but veggies did get boiled way too long. On the other hand, that was the mode of the time, was how she learned to cook them. I didn't begin to learn to like vegetables past peas until I had my first salad at the same time I had my first pizza, in my twenties (!!) from a not very good pizza place (in hindsight) named Piece O'Pizza.

All this time later I genuinely like a lot of vegetables...

So, what did I like back in my childhood?

Codfish cakes with cream of mushroom soup sauce
Silver dollar pancakes made by my dad (with homemade syrup using mapleine, cough).
Corned beef tongue, only the least fatty part, with sugar syrup and raisins, not sure I could eat that now.
Corned beef, boiled potatoes, didn't like the cabbage (like cabbage now).
Lamb chops with nice crispy fat..
Turkey at thanksgiving, mashed potatoes, gravy... peas.
Fish sticks. Can't remember if we had tartar sauce.
Hot dogs, potato chips, canned baked beans, Kool aid
Kraft's macaroni and cheese...
I wouldn't eat spaghetti because it wiggled.
I probably had steak once in a while, but it was always well-done (frowns).
Roast beef, also well done (frowns some more).
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 12:39 pm
Mmmmm

Making me hungry!

loved all those posts.

I've always liked cabbage, even as a small child. At school I was the only one to go back for 'seconds' of cabbage. You could say I farted through my convent years...

x
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 01:00 pm
I found a little restaurant last week with home made ice cream. I had a bowl of teaberry ice cream and bought a half a gallon of teaberry to go.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 01:03 pm
Noddy that sounds really good. Isn't/wasn't there a chewing gum made with teaberry? Beeman's maybe?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 01:53 pm
Tai Chi wrote:
Noddy that sounds really good. Isn't/wasn't there a chewing gum made with teaberry? Beeman's maybe?

Yes, remember the Teaberry Shuffle in their advertising?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 01:57 pm
My mom was agreat baker but not such a good cook. She made a scrumptous butterscotch pie, Lemon merangue and cherry were pretty good, too.

My favorite meals as a kid were fried chicken, fried boloney sandwiches, chicken pot pie and fish sticks. On Sunday nights sometimes Mom would make waffles for supper. They were the best.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 02:01 pm
JPB wrote:
Tai Chi wrote:

Yes, remember the Teaberry Shuffle in their advertising?

Nope, JPB, i don't remember the advertising, I just remember the taste which to me was very cleansing and not overly sweet like most chewing gum. Is it still available?
0 Replies