Carson Pirie Scott, rip, grrrrrrrrr.

Miller

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 01:03 pm
joefromchicago wrote:

"Chicago" is defined as "the city of Chicago, being that part of the city of Chicago that lies wholly within the city limits of the city of Chicago." How do you define "Chicago?"

"Chicago is defined... " but Bud, I didn't see that in the Sun Times article. Where were the "city limits" mentioned in the SunTimes and where according to the SunTimes, are these City Limits?
Lets have the N,S and W co-ordinates, if you don't mind. And if you do, get over it, real quick! Razz
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 01:53 pm
Miller wrote:
"Chicago is defined... " but Bud, I didn't see that in the Sun Times article. Where were the "city limits" mentioned in the SunTimes and where according to the SunTimes, are these City Limits?

Well, Buddette, the Sun Times article refers to data from the US Census Bureau. I have been unable to find a definition of "city" in the Census Bureau's website, and, for all I know, the bureau doesn't have a definition of "city." If that's the case, it's probably because, in over 150 years, no one at the bureau ever considered that anyone would ever ask such a dimwitted question as "what's the definition of 'Chicago?'" Suffice it to say, it appears that no one besides you has any problem grasping the concept of "Chicago."

But I suppose I should have been more precise about my terms, given that I had drawn those stats from a report on the latest Census Bureau data rather than directly out of my ass, as you had done. I'll be more mindful of that in the future.

Miller wrote:
Lets have the N,S and W co-ordinates, if you don't mind. And if you do, get over it, real quick! Razz

Chicago: Latitude 41 deg 51' N, Longitude 87 deg 39' W. Largest city in Illinois. Incorporated 1833. Check out its website!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 02:51 pm
Does this reeeeally have to turn nasty? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 06:59 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Miller wrote:

Well, Buddette, the Sun Times article refers to data from the US Census Bureau. I have been unable to find a definition of "city" in the Census Bureau's website, and, for all I know, the bureau doesn't have a definition of "city." If that's the case, it's probably because, in over 150 years, no one at the bureau ever considered that anyone would ever ask such a dimwitted question as "what's the definition of 'Chicago?'" Suffice it to say, it appears that no one besides you has any problem grasping the concept of "Chicago."

But I suppose I should have been more precise about my terms, given that I had drawn those stats from a report on the latest Census Bureau data rather than directly out of my ass, as you had done. I'll be more mindful of that in the future.

Miller wrote:

Chicago: Latitude 41 deg 51' N, Longitude 87 deg 39' W. Largest city in Illinois. Incorporated 1833. Check out its website!

You are nasty and ignorant.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 07:04 pm
eoe wrote:
Does this reeeeally have to turn nasty? Rolling Eyes

You're right, of course. I'll just ignore the comments.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2006 09:01 pm
Miller wrote:
You are nasty and ignorant.

You are puny and have no friends.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 01:45 am
boomerang wrote:
I remember studying the building in Art History 2 and going to see it in person when I transferred to college in Chicago the next semester.

I bought a coat there for the sole reason that it metered at 18% gray, meaning I wouldn't have to tote around a piece of cardboard anymore. I still have that coat. For the last many years it has served as a protective nest for my ancient darkroom enlarger. When I peek into my attic it is the first thing I see.

There's no way they'll ever tear that building down.

No, I don't think they'll tear the building down, either. By the way, do you still wear the coat? Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 03:03 pm
A not as yet very popular thread on Louis Sullivan (of Carson Pirie Scott fame) and a 150th Anniversary Celebration in Chicago, HERE
0 Replies